No spare tire?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I got the spare, AND an extra set of underwear....cuz man.....this thing is fast. :like:
Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Here is a summary article on the topic from Consumer Reports. Sounds like in their testing 30% of new cars didn't come with a spare tire and only 10% had a full size spare.

https://www.consumerreports.org/tires/some-newer-cars-are-missing-a-spare-tire-a9928775934/
I wonder how many 4 wheel drive, long travel suspension vehicles that are specifically marketed as Adventure vehicles come without a full size spare.

It might have made more sense to include one, but allow a deletion check box for those wanting to save $ and reduce weight.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I wonder how many 4 wheel drive, long travel suspension vehicles that are specifically marketed as Adventure vehicles come without a full size spare.

It might have made more sense to include one, but allow a deletion check box for those wanting to save $ and reduce weight.
Yeah I agree with you. It is one thing for a Tesla or a Kia EV6 to not have a spare tire but no way I would take a vehicle off road without a spare. I think I saw that the Lightning comes with a full size spare because they realized that truck buyers expect that, not unlike OP.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Great point and the answer should be very few to none come without a full-size spare. I know that Land Rover has been stingy with full-size spare tires for almost 20 years by making them an option. Of course you could make the argument that very few Land Rover (and fewer Range Rover) owners take their vehicles off pavement. Assuming you don’t count jumping the curb at Whole Foods as going off road. :giggle:

I have seen several off-road organizations here in Southern California with group driving events. In order to participate in a driving event, there are some non-negotiable requirements including things like a full-size spare, fire extinguisher, etc. Maybe this is a regional thing? It makes the R1S a bit of a challenge but I think I have a decent solution… assuming that Rivian will sell me a matching wheel + tire to go with my compact spare + tools kit.

I would never start an off-road adventure without a good full-size spare. If I have a blow-out and end up installing the spare then the adventure is over and I’m taking the easiest route back to pavement and/or cell coverage.

edit:typos

Sponsored

OP
OP

DavesRIT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIT, Tesla, Porsche
Occupation
retired
Agree with Ralph, jjswan33, and SoCalRob. I bought this not to take it to Whole Foods for groceries but to camp, off road, and "adventure." No full size spare in any of those situations would be a non-starter for me. If Rivian is trying to trim $800 off the truck's price of $90,000, it would seem that it should have been done with other options.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
My bad. I wasn't aware until now that I had to click the spare tire button. Having bought MANY high end vehicles during my lifetime, I have NEVER had to order a spare tire separately.
From my experience, "high end vehicles" do NOT come with a spare tire.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

My guide specifically asked me whether or not I wanted a spare tire during the introductory call, as it sounds like a lot of people are taken by surprise that the spare tire isn't included by default. If yours didn't shame on them, but it's pretty clear during the ordering process that you need to check the box for a spare tire if you want it. Since I would rather call roadside assistance than change my own tire and don't plan on off-roading, I have no concerns about not having one.

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
OP you need to calm down, most "high end" EVs don't come with a spare. Rivian no doubt specifically options it off because of weight reasons. They don't even offer it as an option on an R1S, if you want one, gotta put it on the tail in the after market or something.

This is normal, the world isn't imploding on itself and RIVN stock isn't going to crater. Well, I mean, it might but it's not going to be over included spares.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

My bad. I wasn't aware until now that I had to click the spare tire button. Having bought MANY high end vehicles during my lifetime, I have NEVER had to order a spare tire separately.
Strange days we live in

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser

I can't imagine ordering this truck without the spare but the vehicle my guide paired me with and waiting on actually didn't have it configured but he added it to my purchase.

however, I think there are a lot of R1Ts that will never see the dirt. Especially here in LA. Those people will call call roadside assistance and never swap a tire themselves. Maybe they think they are saving money. I don't know.

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I bought the spare tire but it did not come with the truck on delivery. It is supposed to come in 2-3 weeks. Fyi.
I was told the same thing.

They could be stuck on the ship coming from China.

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Look in your air compressor kit (left gear tunnel door) as underneath the air compressor hose is a bag of slime and the kit to get it into the tire. I was using the air compressor on the truck to air up the tractor tires and when I dug out the hose, found the tire repair kit.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Agree with Ralph, jjswan33, and SoCalRob. I bought this not to take it to Whole Foods for groceries but to camp, off road, and "adventure." No full size spare in any of those situations would be a non-starter for me. If Rivian is trying to trim $800 off the truck's price of $90,000, it would seem that it should have been done with other options.
You’re likely going to be disappointed trying to add one after the fact. Word is they won’t sell you one.
Sponsored