First Name
HANS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Volvo XC90 T6, Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired CEO
Apparently the recently become available compact spare tire only fits R1S and not R1T? Makes no sense.

Bummer. Though I can buy used 21" Rivian wheel plus tire on ebay, lifting it out from under the floor will be a pain.

Will Rivian create similar compact spare tire for R1T?
Sponsored

not_a_car_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Perf Dual Motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

My understanding is there is no room for a full size spare in the storage underneath, so a compact spare is more appropriate for R1S.

If for some reason someone wants a compact spare instead of a full spare, what is stopping them from using it on a R1T? Does a compact spare require some special software setting in the R1S once it is installed, that is not available in the R1T settings?

On a related note, what is the advantage of a compact spare when there is room for a real spare? Are you saying that the compact spare is much lighter and hence easier to remove and install? (Note, either way you still need to get the full size flat tire back into the same compartment, and it’s probably harder lifting a tire onto the bed then bringing one down…)

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
It can be hard if you have back issues. Consider using a piece of wood as leverage to lift. I have mild issues and try not to lift heavy weights.

I also wonder how much lighter compact spare is. I guess it's a steel wheel on compact vs aluminum alloy on full size. The compact tire itself may be lighter though.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Since both vehicles use the exact same tires and wheels, it stands to reason it is not a fitment issue. The only reason the compact spare exists is because there is not a full size storage compartment in the S. Unless Rivian specifically says there is a safety reason to not use it on your T I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work just fine.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I suspect the compact spare would fit in the R1T space intended for full size. There is some weight savings if that’s what you’re getting at. But the compact spare is surprisingly heavy. I don’t think your saving yourself from needing some muscle to wrangle it. Plus you still have to place the damaged full size back into the spare compartment or truck bed once it’s replaced.

Time to eat those wheaties

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I just had to change a flat on my T a few days ago (large hunk of metal right in the middle of the tread on one of my 20 Pirellis) and can attest lifting the full size spare out of the well isn't super easy. And I'm 6'5 190 in relatively good shape. I definitely see how some people could use a (more?) compact spare for emergencies.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

It can be hard if you have back issues. Consider using a piece of wood as leverage to lift. I have mild issues and try not to lift heavy weights.

I also wonder how much lighter compact spare is. I guess it's a steel wheel on compact vs aluminum alloy on full size. The compact tire itself may be lighter though.
I watched a few videos of the T type collapsable spare Audi uses and i't 59 pounds. Not sure what the R1S version is, but same manufacturer just a different size.

OP
OP
hansgieskes

hansgieskes

First Name
HANS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Volvo XC90 T6, Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired CEO
My understanding is there is no room for a full size spare in the storage underneath, so a compact spare is more appropriate for R1S.

If for some reason someone wants a compact spare instead of a full spare, what is stopping them from using it on a R1T? Does a compact spare require some special software setting in the R1S once it is installed, that is not available in the R1T settings?

On a related note, what is the advantage of a compact spare when there is room for a real spare? Are you saying that the compact spare is much lighter and hence easier to remove and install? (Note, either way you still need to get the full size flat tire back into the same compartment, and it’s probably harder lifting a tire onto the bed then bringing one down…)
Food for thought, thanks. Full size wheel+tire will easily be 60lbs or more. Pain either way. I wish Rivian would be better at providing their helpful customer service people with better information...

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I just had to change a flat on my T a few days ago (large hunk of metal right in the middle of the tread on one of my 20 Pirellis) and can attest lifting the full size spare out of the well isn't super easy. And I'm 6'5 190 in relatively good shape. I definitely see how some people could use a (more?) compact spare for emergencies.
Do more rows

Rivian R1T R1S NO compact spare tire for R1T? IMG_20231203_150436

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Food for thought, thanks. Full size wheel+tire will easily be 60lbs or more. Pain either way. I wish Rivian would be better at providing their helpful customer service people with better information...
Full size 20AT is listed at 86lbs on the Rivian website. It is big and heavy for sure.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Get roadside assistance or lift the full size tire. Using the temp spare seems like the worst of the 3 options. Then you are mileage and speed limited and would have no such issues with a regular spare.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Full size 20AT is listed at 86lbs on the Rivian website. It is big and heavy for sure.
OEM Tire at Tire Rack shows 48lbs so wheel is 38lbs a heifer for sure.