Sponsored

Newest language on the EV incentive

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I'm really going to have to work on my withholdings to get the full credit as it is
Withholdings or estimated payments don’t impact the credit.

Say you have $20k of tax and $30k of withholdings. Instead of a $10k refund, you’ll get a $17.5k refund under the current law. The only issue is when your actual tax is less than $7,500.

Your tax is shown on line 24 of form 1040 for 2020.
Sponsored

ggreeneva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Digital communications
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the makings of a straightforward path to make the R1S eligible for this proposed rebate are simple: announce and begin accepting pre-orders for the standard-pack model, and set the price of its Explore configuration well beneath the cap — say, at $65,000.

No added finagling with software-limited batteries or whatnot seems necessary. The standard-pack Explore R1S would simply take over from the large-pack version as the base model.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
They could sell the R1S for $69k with a software limited battery. Once you take delivery, pay the $8k upgrade charge to unlock the battery. You end up paying the same price for the vehicle and you qualify for the incentive.
Tesla just agreed to pay 1.5 million because they limited the use of battery. Rivian customers may demand the full use of the battery they already own.

I agree with your general point that all of these companies are smart enough to find a loophole.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care

Say you have $20k of tax and $30k of withholdings. Instead of a $10k refund, you’ll get a $17.5k refund under the current law. The only issue is when your actual tax is less than $7,500.

Your tax is shown on line 24 of form 1040 for 2020.
I must have misunderstood how it worked. Thought you had to owe $7500 to get the full $7500 back as its a credit not a rebate. Have to ask our tax guy for more details and a plan next year. Still need to finagle things so I come out close to even at the end anyway. I'm not big into loaning the government my money and trying to get it back, when I could be investing it myself

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I must have misunderstood how it worked. Thought you had to owe $7500 to get the full $7500 back as its a credit not a rebate. Have to ask our tax guy for more details and a plan next year. Still need to finagle things so I come out close to even at the end anyway. I'm not big into loaning the government my money and trying to get it back, when I could be investing it myself
It is a “non-refundable tax credit” and works exactly as McMoo suggested. The non-refundable part of the characterization is what’s confusing. That just means you don’t get back $7500 if you only have a tax liability of say $5000. “Tax liability” means total taxes you owe for the year, not the tax liability minus any payments you’ve already made, which is how you figure out if you owe an additional payment of if you get a refund.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Yeah, calling them "refundable" or "non-refundable" causes people to conflate them with "refund", which is a mostly unrelated idea. Pay more than you owe over the course of the year? Refund. Pay less? Balance due.

A "refundable credit" means the government will still pay you money you didn't owe in the first place. $0 tax, $0 withholding, $1000 refundable credit = $1000 refund.

A "non-refundable" credit offsets your tax and can result in a refund if you overpaid for the year:
  • Ex A: $10,000 tax, $5000 withheld from paychecks, $7500 non-refundable credit, $2500 refund.
  • Ex B: $10,000 tax, $11,000 withheld from paychecks, $7500 non-refundable credit, $8500 refund
  • Ex C: $10,000 tax, $0 withheld from paychecks, $7500 non-refundable credit, $2500 balance due paid at filing time
Note in all three examples, you get the full benefit of the $7500 -- in all three cases payments minus refunds = $2500.

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
US Union made lightnings are going to be a smoking deal with this incentive. My Rivian as spec’d not so much. The R1S just got a whole lot more expensive if this passes as well.

Depending on how this is implemented this will catch a few off gaurd.

I think as they negotiate this in Congress those msrp limits might drop even a bit and likely take the adventure r1t out of the incentive game at its current price.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My unpopular take. Get rid of the credits altogether or keep the existing 200k vehicle cap with no msrp limit. The rich guy getting a Rivian vs. a Ram TRX does more good for the environment than someone trading their CRV for a VW ID4.
Also, EVs are mainstream now. The lack of credit hasn’t stopped people from buying Tesla’s and Tesla lowered the prices of their cars over time to cover the lost credit. Only new companies may need any help covering costs (the tax credit cost is absolutely passed on to the customer by raising msrp, which gets more money in the company’s pocket) and even that is questionable with these wild values for Rivian and Lucid. Everyone wants in on the next Tesla…

Legacy auto also doesn’t need their R&D to be supported by taxpayers. They need to go all in on EV regardless due to consumer demand and expectation. Tesla has so much demand it doesn’t matter. They are capacity constrained, they can’t make any more cars.

Spend the money on charging infrastructure instead.

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Tesla just agreed to pay 1.5 million because they limited the use of battery. Rivian customers may demand the full use of the battery they already own.

I agree with your general point that all of these companies are smart enough to find a loophole.
Very different situations. Tesla paid because they sold a car with a specific battery size that they later reduced in functional capacity via a software update due to concerns about safety of the pack.

Tesla has previously sold vehicles with larger packs that were software limited in useable capacity. You could buy the additional capacity after you purchased the car. The customer received what they paid for initially and had the option to pay more to get a larger pack (software unlock of cells they already had).

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius
My unpopular take. Get rid of the credits altogether or keep the existing 200k vehicle cap with no msrp limit. The rich guy getting a Rivian vs. a Ram TRX does more good for the environment than someone trading their CRV for a VW ID4.
Also, EVs are mainstream now. The lack of credit hasn’t stopped people from buying Tesla’s and Tesla lowered the prices of their cars over time to cover the lost credit. Only new companies may need any help covering costs (the tax credit cost is absolutely passed on to the customer by raising msrp, which gets more money in the company’s pocket) and even that is questionable with these wild values for Rivian and Lucid. Everyone wants in on the next Tesla…

Legacy auto also doesn’t need their R&D to be supported by taxpayers. They need to go all in on EV regardless due to consumer demand and expectation. Tesla has so much demand it doesn’t matter. They are capacity constrained, they can’t make any more cars.

Spend the money on charging infrastructure instead.
Not to mention the fact that not all Rivian buyers will be rich. I'm not (I do ok). This will be my first "premium" vehicle. I would not purchase something more expensive, nor would I purchase an ICE vehicle at anywhere close to this price (within 20-30K of it). Rather than move to a nicer house or purchase other luxuries, we're opting for an electric vehicle that meets our needs. Of course, without the incentive we might delay our purchase. What we won't do is spend money on an ICE vehicle (contribute to the economy) or purchase an electric vehicle that won't meet our needs (we'll opt for an EV to replace our Prius eventually, but not for years - we want to replace our fuel hungry ICE SUV). I don't know that we need a 200K cap, but we need to promote the sale of those vehicles that replace fuel hungry counterparts.

Sponsored

ccmun

First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting
If I am correct, accessories/options are excluded from the base MSRP.

I do agree with McMoo, we need way more focus on establishing a ubiquitous charging infrastructure than fiddling with tax incentives. That would go very far to alleviating range anxiety for prospective EV buyers.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
nor would I purchase an ICE vehicle at anywhere close to this price (within 20-30K of it). Rather than move to a nicer house or purchase other luxuries, we're opting for an electric vehicle that meets our needs. Of course, without the incentive we might delay our purchase.
My position is actually pretty similar to yours. I don’t see myself or my wife buying an ICE vehicle again. I already drive an EV so for me personally, the credit or lack of may have an impact on timing only. I’d also consider an R1T if the price difference truly ends up being $8k due to msrp limits on the credit. Or hopefully a base R1S could be dropped to $68,999.

As I said in an earlier post, who knows what will actually happen with the credit.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
There is a lot in this proposal that is a hot mess.

Haven't seen it mentioned that after 2026, only vehicles with final assembly in the US qualify for any amount of credit (not just the US union made boondoggle)

If I am correct, accessories/options are excluded from the base MSRP.
Base MSRP is not in play here (in this version) and what is included/excluded in MSRP is not defined. Factory installed options (trim level, wheel upgrades, bigger battery, etc) will be part of the MSRP. "Dealer" installed options - maybe not?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
No, but if you know you will be entitled to a $7500 credit then you can adjust your W2 witholdings or ES payments accordingly. The risk there is that if, say, delivery on your truck slips into the next year you may finish the current year with insufficient witholding or estimated payments and face the penalties from that unless you are in your "safe haven" range.....

And then that last estimated is due Jan 15

Last edited:
OP
OP

LordUlhtred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Base MSRP is not in play here (in this version) and what is included/excluded in MSRP is not defined. Factory installed options (trim level, wheel upgrades, bigger battery, etc) will be part of the MSRP. "Dealer" installed options - maybe not?
The other issue to consider is that Rivian doesn’t have traditional “dealership”. I wonder if that language is inserted purposely for traditional dealerships.
Sponsored