Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
VP, National Accounts
Clubs

I’m sure this topic has been beaten to death, so thanks for humoring me. As a new owner of this 2022 R1T, is there anything one can do to keep the motorized tonneau from breaking? I’ve read so many stories of these failing that I’m honestly nervous every time I open/close it. Is it just a matter of time?
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Mine doesn't have an auto cover, but there are others who have original covers that have not failed and they don't seem to do much. Others failed right away or within the first year.

Some go out of their way to keep the tracks clean and lubed. Rivian has been upgrading all the old covers for a few months now, so if I were you I wouldn't kill myself trying to maintain it. You should just get an appointment scheduled for that fix.

OP
OP
HokieHaden

HokieHaden

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
VP, National Accounts
Clubs

Mine doesn't have an auto cover, but there are others who have original covers that have not failed and they don't seem to do much. Others failed right away or within the first year.

Some go out of their way to keep the tracks clean and lubed. Rivian has been upgrading all the old covers for a few months now, so if I were you I wouldn't kill myself trying to maintain it. You should just get an appointment scheduled for that fix.
Great - appreciate the response!

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I would recommend asking Rivian for the service history (or previous owner, if possible) to see if your truck received the tonneau fix already.

If it has not, then you may want to preemptively put in a ticket as it’s probably only a matter of time before it gets stuck.

OP
OP
HokieHaden

HokieHaden

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
VP, National Accounts
Clubs

I would recommend asking Rivian for the service history (or previous owner, if possible) to see if your truck received the tonneau fix already.

If it has not, then you may want to preemptively put in a ticket as it’s probably only a matter of time before it gets stuck.
Will do. I was thinking something like that would have shown up on the carfax, but maybe not.

Sponsored

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
I had a 22 R1T for over a year (sold it at the beginning of the year) and my Tonneau cover never failed although it always sounded like it would. Anyway I used a dry lube on the tracks as was told by a Rivian service tech and that seemed to keep it working.

OP
OP
HokieHaden

HokieHaden

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
VP, National Accounts
Clubs

I had a 22 R1T for over a year (sold it at the beginning of the year) and my Tonneau cover never failed although it always sounded like it would. Anyway I used a dry lube on the tracks as was told by a Rivian service tech and that seemed to keep it working.
Good to know. I do see a white substance all around that track. Would that possibly be the dry lube maybe the prior owner has been applying?

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
Most likely

majorfriend

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser 100, Launch Edition R1T, Mustang Mach
Occupation
IT Consultant
I also just purchased a 22 R1T with a working tonneau cover. I asked the previous owner about it and he said he never did anything special with it, didn't baby it, and it has been just fine.

I don't know, I'm on the fence about getting an appointment....

I also had a day one Xbox 360 that never got the red ring of death, sometimes things just work...
Sponsored