Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Any chance of an Orange? (darker)
This might be difficult. The only option that I'm seeing is hex FF6A13 which is a fairly bright Orange.

I think the next option might be a bright Pink.
Sponsored

lov2krz

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S/Tesla X
Occupation
Retired
Two quick updates:
  1. Launch Forest is back in stock. All solo orders will it have been shipped. We're working through orders which have other items on them now.
  2. Carbon Infused is now in stock and is shipping early. (we initially expected next week at some point) Pictures of it are up too.

Also - a few fun details with the CF version:
  • They are actually made from PA12HT-CF. It's a super durable Nylon that is rated up to 300 degrees C. (nearly 600 F) It's used in structural parts and in engine bays.
  • The filament is more than 4x as expensive than the already expensive ASA I use for everything else.
  • The model is actually different from the one that I use and have posted for every other color. This is because shrinkage during printing needs to be accounted for.
  • It's really tough to work with. Removing the small support needed during printing is exceedingly difficult.
  • It's more susceptible to creaking than the ASA version, so I include extra foam with every one.
  • It's what I use for my keychain. It feels really different - less smooth, more rough.
  • It's 100% a limited edition item. When I'm done with this roll, I'll likely never make it again. That said, it's probably not for everyone. Most people would be as well if not better off with the ASA Black Midnight.
20231118_113712.jpg
Thanks just finished my order.

nancy94024

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Mercedes EQE, Mercedes ML4009
Clubs

Hello my dudes!

Today is a super exciting day - allow me to officially introduce the OpenSourceEV Parts Rangefinder Key Fob Surround. It replaces the gimmicky carabiner part of the key fob with a durable, beautiful, colorful, and functional ASA Plastic or Nylon Carbon-Fiber replacement.

20231115_204053.jpg

20231115_210709.jpg

Let's be honest - the carabiner key fob that Rivian made for R1T and R1S is neat in theory, but less so in reality. When the novelty wears off, many of us it a bit too bulky, a bit too heavy, less functional that hoped as it opens waaay too easily to be trusted. This item is designed to fix all of that.

The OpenSourceEV Rangefinder Key Fob Surround installs in under 5 minutes and replaces the metal carabiner part of the key fob with a strong, light-weight ASA or Nylon Carbon Fiber bit. It drops the weight of the key fob by over half (20 Grams), makes it nearly 2 CM shorter, and 5 MM narrower. It adds a reliable keychain hook.

All of that is great, but it's called "Rangefinder" for a reason. In our testing, locking function from the key fob increases from ~295ft to ~385ft -- an increase of nearly 25%. We took photos of one of our tests, and here is what it looks like:

Max distance the test R1T responds to the lock command issued from the key fob - stock:
20231115_184452.jpg

Max distance the test R1T responds to the lock command issued from the key fob - with the Rangefinder installed:
20231115_184321.jpg

Notice the truck responding in the second picture? The white Do Not Enter sign is next to the telephone pole in the second. Your distance may vary, but it does appear that removing decorative metal from in front of an antenna actually helps!

With this item, your key fob is more pocketable, and more functional, but it's no good if the product fell out of the ugly tree. Luckily, it is beautiful, and is available in 9 different colors that are decent approximations of the Rivian colors:
  • Midnight Stealth (Black)
  • RJ (Bright Blue)
  • Not Compass (Yellow)
  • LA Limestone (Light Grey Silver)
  • El Capitano (Dark Grey)
  • Glacier Iceburg (White)
  • Canyonero (Red)
  • Launch Forrest (Dark Green)
  • Dollar Tree (Sparkly Green that I bought by mistake which is on sale day one until it sells out)
Additionally, we're producing a very quantity-limited, black only version constructed of carbon fiber infused Nylon. It's a bit more challenging to install, but it's tremendously robust, feels great in the hand, and uniquely different.

These went on sale yesterday to our newsletter subscribers and are shipping starting today! Pricing is very reasonable:

$8.95 for Stealth Black
$9.95 for Most Colors
$14.95 for Nylon Carbon Fiber
A whopping $1.95 for Dollar Tree while they last šŸ¤£

You can order here: https://opensourceev.com/products/rangefinder-key-fob-surround

A few quick notes:
  • You'll need a T5 Torx bit to remove 3 tiny screws from inside of the key fob. We've sourced an inexpensive option should you need it - the link is on the page.
  • While the photos posted of the colors are not retouched at all, but we believe that coloring is a bit oversaturated. This makes them appear brighter in photos than in reality. The red, for instance, is a bit deeper and darker.
  • This is a 3D printed product. it might have very slight ridges on the outside which will gradually wear down with continued use.
  • We'll also be including a bit of foam with each of these initially in case of any plastic-on-plastic noise. If you end up using it, please drop us a line.
  • The opensource STL file has been posted! It's available on our Printables page here: https://www.printables.com/social/519281-rob-opensourceev/models

We've also made a video showing the colors and installation:

Here are some additional photos:

20231115_134443.jpg

20231114_223533.jpg

20231114_223704.jpg

20231114_223749.jpg

There are nearly 40 photos on the product page.

Were happy to answer any questions you may have!
Hello my dudes!

Today is a super exciting day - allow me to officially introduce the OpenSourceEV Parts Rangefinder Key Fob Surround. It replaces the gimmicky carabiner part of the key fob with a durable, beautiful, colorful, and functional ASA Plastic or Nylon Carbon-Fiber replacement.

20231115_204053.jpg

20231115_210709.jpg

Let's be honest - the carabiner key fob that Rivian made for R1T and R1S is neat in theory, but less so in reality. When the novelty wears off, many of us it a bit too bulky, a bit too heavy, less functional that hoped as it opens waaay too easily to be trusted. This item is designed to fix all of that.

The OpenSourceEV Rangefinder Key Fob Surround installs in under 5 minutes and replaces the metal carabiner part of the key fob with a strong, light-weight ASA or Nylon Carbon Fiber bit. It drops the weight of the key fob by over half (20 Grams), makes it nearly 2 CM shorter, and 5 MM narrower. It adds a reliable keychain hook.

All of that is great, but it's called "Rangefinder" for a reason. In our testing, locking function from the key fob increases from ~295ft to ~385ft -- an increase of nearly 25%. We took photos of one of our tests, and here is what it looks like:

Max distance the test R1T responds to the lock command issued from the key fob - stock:
20231115_184452.jpg

Max distance the test R1T responds to the lock command issued from the key fob - with the Rangefinder installed:
20231115_184321.jpg

Notice the truck responding in the second picture? The white Do Not Enter sign is next to the telephone pole in the second. Your distance may vary, but it does appear that removing decorative metal from in front of an antenna actually helps!

With this item, your key fob is more pocketable, and more functional, but it's no good if the product fell out of the ugly tree. Luckily, it is beautiful, and is available in 9 different colors that are decent approximations of the Rivian colors:
  • Midnight Stealth (Black)
  • RJ (Bright Blue)
  • Not Compass (Yellow)
  • LA Limestone (Light Grey Silver)
  • El Capitano (Dark Grey)
  • Glacier Iceburg (White)
  • Canyonero (Red)
  • Launch Forrest (Dark Green)
  • Dollar Tree (Sparkly Green that I bought by mistake which is on sale day one until it sells out)
Additionally, we're producing a very quantity-limited, black only version constructed of carbon fiber infused Nylon. It's a bit more challenging to install, but it's tremendously robust, feels great in the hand, and uniquely different.

These went on sale yesterday to our newsletter subscribers and are shipping starting today! Pricing is very reasonable:

$8.95 for Stealth Black
$9.95 for Most Colors
$14.95 for Nylon Carbon Fiber
A whopping $1.95 for Dollar Tree while they last šŸ¤£

You can order here: https://opensourceev.com/products/rangefinder-key-fob-surround

A few quick notes:
  • You'll need a T5 Torx bit to remove 3 tiny screws from inside of the key fob. We've sourced an inexpensive option should you need it - the link is on the page.
  • While the photos posted of the colors are not retouched at all, but we believe that coloring is a bit oversaturated. This makes them appear brighter in photos than in reality. The red, for instance, is a bit deeper and darker.
  • This is a 3D printed product. it might have very slight ridges on the outside which will gradually wear down with continued use.
  • We'll also be including a bit of foam with each of these initially in case of any plastic-on-plastic noise. If you end up using it, please drop us a line.
  • The opensource STL file has been posted! It's available on our Printables page here: https://www.printables.com/social/519281-rob-opensourceev/models

We've also made a video showing the colors and installation:

Here are some additional photos:

20231115_134443.jpg

20231114_223533.jpg

20231114_223704.jpg

20231114_223749.jpg

There are nearly 40 photos on the product page.

Were happy to answer any questions you may have!
Just bought it in Glacial White. I miss the days of my 1976 FJ40, which had three keys in an elegantly simple leatherette case. And, my 1990 4Runner that had two keys. Would love to have a slim elegant key again, or at least a key fob that was the minimal size needed to do the job and also legible.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Just bought it in Glacial White. I miss the days of my 1976 FJ40, which had three keys in an elegantly simple leatherette case. And, my 1990 4Runner that had two keys. Would love to have a slim elegant key again, or at least a key fob that was the minimal size needed to do the job and also legible.
Agreed, key fobs is one thing that Tesla really got right. IMO. Mini car, press what you want open. Simple and half the volume of our fobs.

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
@RWerksman : my Dollar Tree has arrived today safe and sound, thank you!
(Today I visited 2 Dollar Trees so perfect day to get it :D)

Unfortunately I cannot use it as my T is in the SC and I don't want to open the loaner's keyfob :angel:

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
@RWerksman : my Dollar Tree has arrived today safe and sound, thank you!
(Today I visited 2 Dollar Trees so perfect day to get it :D)

Unfortunately I cannot use it as my T is in the SC and I don't want to open the loaner's keyfob :angel:
Aww come on, do it. That way you know what you are doing when you get yours back... :devil:

HenryThe8th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
@RWerksman ... I really appreciate your efforts and can the fob surround be installed only 1 way? Like, if I want the key-ring-attach-hole to be nearest a specific button can I just turn the surround 180Ā° or flip it and it'll still attached to the fob?

I get the feeling the fob isn't symmetrical on the inside, if that makes sense.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
@RWerksman ... I really appreciate your efforts and can the fob surround be installed only 1 way? Like, if I want the key-ring-attach-hole to be nearest a specific button can I just turn the surround 180Ā° or flip it and it'll still attached to the fob?

I get the feeling the fob isn't symmetrical on the inside, if that makes sense.
Correct - it's not symertical at all on the inside and the surround only installs one way.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I ordered the "Dollar Tree" special for $1 each as my truck is green and if it was more than $1 I would have fired up my 3D printer and printed one out myself from the original plans on Printables.

Anyway, the green looks really nice actually. The install is a little tricky, so be gentle as you could possibly break your OEM fob body trying to force it in to the new surround. You'll also need a #5 Torx Bit, which is super tiny.

Very happy with the product!! Lighter and smaller than the OEM Fob.

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - OpenSourceEV Parts Rangefinder Key Fob Surround in 9 Colors & 2 Finishes Fob1

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - OpenSourceEV Parts Rangefinder Key Fob Surround in 9 Colors & 2 Finishes Fob2

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - OpenSourceEV Parts Rangefinder Key Fob Surround in 9 Colors & 2 Finishes Fob3

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - OpenSourceEV Parts Rangefinder Key Fob Surround in 9 Colors & 2 Finishes Fob4

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - OpenSourceEV Parts Rangefinder Key Fob Surround in 9 Colors & 2 Finishes Fob5

Last edited:

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Happy to get my Dollar Green today too! However I've discovered the sparkle rubs off which triggers my glitter aversion. So I'll be using this one to practice acetone smoothing and getting another color in the future.
Rooting for that orange option perhaps!

Sponsored

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Ordered mine in white along with the left side phone mount. Canā€™t wait to get it. I use my key fob daily.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
@RWerksman I received mine, via order # 5056, but my fob doesnā€™t function when fully assembled, specifically after I put the back on. My vehicle doesnā€™t sense the fob is in proximity nor do any of the buttons function. When the back of the fob is NOT on, then all these functions work. And, of course, my fob performs all these functions without this Rangefinder key fob surround.

Before completing assembly, I watched your video of the disassembly and reassembly process on your website (https://opensourceev.com/products/rangefinder-key-fob-surround), and I noticed that mine is upside down or reversed, compared to yours in the video, ā€˜the gapā€™ that you mention in the video as having the purpose of inserting a screwdriver to pop off the cover, is on the cover with the buttons, instead of the back of the fob. No matter what I tried, I could not get it flush.

So, the one I received seems defective. Would you please help me evaluate this issue, or send me a new one? Black or light gray silver.

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - OpenSourceEV Parts Rangefinder Key Fob Surround in 9 Colors & 2 Finishes IMG_2106

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - OpenSourceEV Parts Rangefinder Key Fob Surround in 9 Colors & 2 Finishes IMG_2107

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - OpenSourceEV Parts Rangefinder Key Fob Surround in 9 Colors & 2 Finishes IMG_2108

Last edited:
OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
@RWerksman I received mine, via order # 5056, but my fob doesnā€™t function when fully assembled, specifically after I put the back on. My vehicle doesnā€™t sense the fob is in proximity nor do any of the buttons function. When the back of the fob is NOT on, then all these functions work. And, of course, my fob performs all these functions without this Rangefinder key fob surround.

Before completing assembly, I watched your video of the disassembly and reassembly process on your website (https://opensourceev.com/products/rangefinder-key-fob-surround), and I noticed that mine is upside down or reversed, compared to yours in the video, ā€˜the gapā€™ that you mention in the video as having the purpose of inserting a screwdriver to pop off the cover, is on the cover with the buttons, instead of the back of the fob. No matter what I tried, I could not get it flush.

So, the one I received seems defective. Would you please help me evaluate this issue, or send me a new one? Black or light gray silver.

IMG_2106.jpeg

IMG_2107.jpeg

IMG_2108.jpeg
Something looks very, very wrong there. One of the sides isn't latching and it's not holding the battery tight enough to make contact. If you haven't already done so, please reach out to me via the website. I need to correlate to an order number and shipping address.

I'm happy to answer questions here, but I don't provide support here, especially considering that we publish the STL files for anyone to privately use, and the quality of these prints vary considerably.

lawmangm

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara
Occupation
Sales Director
Clubs

Love it! Easy install (hell, if I can do it then a kindergartener can do it) and looks great.

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - OpenSourceEV Parts Rangefinder Key Fob Surround in 9 Colors & 2 Finishes IMG_1672
Sponsored