Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
If I am understanding you correctly, you prefer Tesla's approach of pushing vehicles into the marketplace faster by skipping some of the testing of both the vehicles and production line?
Thorough testing is a bad thing and causes skepticism on your part?

Everything we have seen from Rivian shows a tremendous attention to detail. I have never seen that from Tesla on any of their products and that is their greatest weakness. Intentional decisions by Tesla sacrificing quality for speed/volume/profit has worked for them so far, but it won't forever. Rivian cannot afford to put out vehicles with the same quality issues that plague Tesla, and if that takes more time, I can wait.
Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I wouldn't say better necessarily, but there is certainly the opportunity for Rivian's initial fit & finish to be better than Tesla's cars up to this point. The Cybertruck will be interesting, since it eliminates a number of areas that Tesla hasn't been good at. It's hard to paint problems if there isn't any paint and it's hard to have panel gaps if there aren't any panels.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
peashooter, to your point in #48.

I don't think which company, Tesla or Rivian, gets their electric truck out the factory door quickest is very important. Other measures are far more important.

As I said earlier, "if you want to lay bets on Tesla versus Rivian, do it for something meaningful." Safety ratings, quality and reliability, profit per vehicle produced, customer satisfaction, environmental impact of their production facilities (including China, Nevada, Germany and Austin versus Normal), and so on. Bet on something meaningful. Mine's faster (bigger) is b.s.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I must have missed it... that video didn't say anything about Rivian's delivery schedule

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Gotcha.... I don't pretend to know all the parts that make up an assembly line but Rivian said in their last video (I think) that a lot more would be delivered this Fall. I am guessing that they have just enough in place for a low volume run through as they finalize the details what is needed and where it's needed along the line.... It will be very interesting to see how much progress they make (and show to us) over the final 4 months of the year.... and into next spring.... Will I be disappointed if they fail.... sure.... but I'm not scared...

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
We've only seen a small glimpse, I wouldn't assume that. Regardless, pilot production Rivians have started to roll off the line(s), and all we can do is see how things ramp.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Since Rivian isn't actually planning to deliver anything until next year, I see absolutely no problem. Certainly nothing "scary".

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
Rivian's volumes are going to be significantly lower than Tesla's Shanghai factory, which is building ~3000 units a week. That Tesla factory can build Rivian's estimated first year production in less than 7 weeks. They should certainly look different.

I toured the Fremont factory in early 2014 when I took delivery of my Model S. It was extremely impressive but nothing like the Shanghai factory is today.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
It’s very clear you are on this forum to troll people. Tesla fanboy

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I probably agree with Jehorton though it's unclear how much is ignorance versus intention.

It's now 10 months until R1Ts start rolling off the line, and that's an eternity in most production environments. Rivian's not there yet, and the question is how long will it/should it take to get there?

Setting up and running a prototype line - where Rivian is at present - is a big first step. The point is not to produce in volume. The point is to validate, test, train, improve and make incremental improvements. It's a test and validation run, nothing more.

It would be silly to fill up the factory floor with equipment and production lines without thoroughly testing and improving on the manufacturing engineering design that Rivian has in place. Perhaps Tesla's Shanghai factory fan doesn't understand the process, a process that Tesla has been known to short circuit in the past.

I want Rivian to reach volume production as soon as possible, but I don't want it to skip, short circuit, truncate or otherwise ignore or neglect a steady, step by step process of getting there. Get it done right, at the outset, without rework after production.
Sponsored