Sponsored

New EPA rule drives Tesla to change EPA range estimates.... will it affect Rivians?

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
This is good news and much needed. Tesla gamed the system resulting in an over promise to owners and an under deliver on range.

I have nearly 200,000 miles in my Teslas so I do have some experience to back up my statement.

My R1S performs much closer to the specified range, so I don't expect a significant adjustment from them.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Manufacturers now have to average the drive modes with the new EPA rule, the reason performance and plaid model ranges went down but other Teslas were unchanged. Rivian might get affected as All Purpose range is likely higher than the average range of all the drive modes.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Manufacturers now have to average the drive modes with the new EPA rule, the reason performance and plaid model ranges went down but other Teslas were unchanged. Rivian might get affected as All Purpose range is likely higher than the average range of all the drive modes.
I'm not sure I really understand the point of averaging drive modes. In fact I think this does a customer a disservice because it makes a vehicle out to be less capable than it is if used correctly.

In any case it looks like Rivian might already average them.

When I charge to 100% in All-Purpose mode (21" tires / Large / Quad) it tells me its going to have 319 miles of range. This is about 9 less than what Rivian Advertises on their website. But, if switch to conserve mode I believe it shows me closer to 340 miles. This is quite a bit higher than the 328 est.

I think we can safely ignore off-road modes as they're not relevant for EPI ratings. So that only leaves Sport mode.

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
I'm not sure I really understand the point of averaging drive modes
Isn’t it similar to ICE vehicles’ highway and city combined?

Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Isn’t it similar to ICE vehicles’ highway and city combined?
With an ICE vehicle I'd expect any Sport mode to be excluded from any MPG.

At the same time I'd be a bit upset if I could only reach the advertised MPG if I used some special conserve mode.

edman007

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CY R1S
I'm not sure I really understand the point of averaging drive modes. In fact I think this does a customer a disservice because it makes a vehicle out to be less capable than it is if used correctly.

In any case it looks like Rivian might already average them.

When I charge to 100% in All-Purpose mode (21" tires / Large / Quad) it tells me its going to have 319 miles of range. This is about 9 less than what Rivian Advertises on their website. But, if switch to conserve mode I believe it shows me closer to 340 miles. This is quite a bit higher than the 328 est.

I think we can safely ignore off-road modes as they're not relevant for EPI ratings. So that only leaves Sport mode.
If I had to guess, this may actually be as a result of an EPA investigation against Tesla last year. Looking at the EPA memo on this, I'd guess that the EPA stuff said that you run the test in the "default" mode and Tesla figured out if you make an Eco mode latch then it qualifies as default and you don't have to report MPGe in the normal drive mode. So now the EPA is saying you need to take the best and worst latching drive modes and average them.

I wonder what this does to the Quad since now they have to average in Conserve which they didn't before.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
If I had to guess, this may actually be as a result of an EPA investigation against Tesla last year. Looking at the EPA memo on this, I'd guess that the EPA stuff said that you run the test in the "default" mode and Tesla figured out if you make an Eco mode latch then it qualifies as default and you don't have to report MPGe in the normal drive mode. So now the EPA is saying you need to take the best and worst latching drive modes and average them.

I wonder what this does to the Quad since now they have to average in Conserve which they didn't before.
If conserve is added to quad, I think that’ll bump up the epa miles. While sport is theoretically lower miles, you won’t experience much lower miles unless you have a heavy foot.

So, net/net, I think for quads, we’ll see no change or slight improvement.

I think no change would help with setting customer expectations on what realistic range is, however.
Sponsored