Sponsored

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Driver+ is looking pretty good. Might already be ahead of Ford blue cruise and GM supercruise.
Does anyone know if Rivian has Speed Limit Sign recognition? I suppose they do, since Ford has this feature, but I'm not sure about GM.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Does anyone know if Rivian has Speed Limit Sign recognition? I suppose they do, since Ford has this feature, but I'm not sure about GM.
when I asked CS they said "no". The driver display does show the speed limit, but I think they're getting it through the nav database, rather than the camera.

I hope CS is wrong, though. My current vehicle recognizes signs by the camera, and it's great. City changed a speed limit on a main raod and I know several people who were ticketed. I didn't know it changed, but since my car was always showing the correct limit, I was fine.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Looks good enough to me. At least on par with systems from some others in the price range.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Just wondering what the benefit of the sign recognition would be with the Driver+ platform.

Currently Driver+ is only available on select roads that have been mapped, and their speed limits would be noted. I guess it could handle changes to the speed limit, but that is very infrequent.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Just wondering what the benefit of the sign recognition would be with the Driver+ platform.

Currently Driver+ is only available on select roads that have been mapped, and their speed limits would be noted. I guess it could handle changes to the speed limit, but that is very infrequent.
sign recognition helps with Navigation but additionally it can act as a speed nanny: My Audi knows of changes in speed to set the cruise to that limit. So if I am going 65 in a 65 and the speed limit changes to 55, the cruise lowers to 55. Now I can always over ride it but it is a great feature.

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

sign recognition helps with Navigation but additionally it can act as a speed nanny: My Audi knows of changes in speed to set the cruise to that limit. So if I am going 65 in a 65 and the speed limit changes to 55, the cruise lowers to 55. Now I can always over ride it but it is a great feature.
in general, sign recognition can help with things like construction zones -- IMO it should just disable in construction zones. but speed limit in general would be a pre-known fact based on the mapping.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Infrequent, perhaps, but it can be expensive when it does occur (tickets).

Even if infrequently updated, I've seen speed limit signs that seem never to be accurately reflected in navigation databases -- despite existing for years. The examples I can think of tend to involve school zones or a short distance where the limit may go from 55 to 45 to 35 and back up in the span of just a fraction of a mile. Perhaps the nav databases don't allow for such granularity? Or perhaps the municipality doesn't do whatever the nav providers expect so they can reflect the change?

There's also the issue of "temporary" restrictions and variable speed limits, which sign detection can often handle and database-driven approaches can't.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. The technology works and improves accuracy, safety, and can help drivers avoid tickets. All the hardware necessary exists in modern vehicles, so it's just a matter of some software to make the magic happen. Rivian should add it, if they don't already have it.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
My Volvo "reads" the speed limit signs and it is not foolproof. I have seen it get confused and report the wrong speed. It's usually an issue of picking up a speed limit sign for a parallel road such as the main freeway lanes while driving on the adjacent service road. There are also times where it reports the wrong speed limit for a distance after turning from one road onto another when they have different speed limits. This gets corrected after passing the first speed limit sign on the road you just turned onto, but sometimes that can be a good distance down the road.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
......There are also times where it reports the wrong speed limit for a distance after turning from one road onto another when they have different speed limits. This gets corrected after passing the first speed limit sign on the road you just turned onto, but sometimes that can be a good distance down the road.......
If I turned onto a road I wasn't familiar with and there wasn't a speed limit sign immediately present at the turn, I would continue at the same rate of speed I was traveling in the previous road, until the next speed limit sign. If the roads have two different speed limits and no speed limit sign was immediately posted at the turn, to reflect the change, it would be the fault of the Highway Dept......IMO.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If I turned onto a road I wasn't familiar with and there wasn't a speed limit sign immediately present at the turn, I would continue at the same rate of speed I was traveling in the previous road, until the next speed limit sign. If the roads have two different speed limits and no speed limit sign was immediately posted at the turn, to reflect the change, it would be the fault of the Highway Dept......IMO.
And that's something the highway department, cities, etc may have to start taking into consideration if autonomous vehicles might set their speed based on being able to visually detect a speed limit sign instead of reading from a nav database.

Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Do people really care about any of this? I'd rather they lower the price of the vehicle and drop all the hardware/software for self driving features. Self driving cars will be awesome, but I don't care to own one nor want any of it until the car is 100% driverless. I think Zoox has the right idea on self driving. Make a basic cab that has no inputs for a driver.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Do people really care about any of this? I'd rather they lower the price of the vehicle and drop all the hardware/software for self driving features. Self driving cars will be awesome, but I don't care to own one nor want any of it until the car is 100% driverless. I think Zoox has the right idea on self driving. Make a basic cab that has no inputs for a driver.
For me self driving is really good for long road trips. You don't get tired as fast, if you do get distracted you won't get into an accident, and you can keep a better eye on the road and watch out for cops up ahead.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

yes.

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Early pictures showed BSM indicators in the side view mirrors. Are those still included? Or is the driver instrument screen the only place for BSM warnings, now?
I have seen and heard from different threads that those mirror indicators are still there. Plus it shows you in the proximity sensors on your screen.
Sponsored