Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
It's not realistic to expect personalized delivery timelines for most given where things currently stand. They may have thought they'd be at that point now back in August, but they aren't. They'd be better off saying it's too early to provide individual estimates, or give them with a large helping of caveat emptor. People in locations they are confident will be first can probably get loose estimates at this time (like the revised Feb one being discussed in this thread), but I certainly don't expect a timeline worth the paper it's printed on for me personally.

If the communication they give is the best they can at the time it's given, it's sort of irrelevant whether it lives up to what they thought it would be in August, no? Isn't that the exact honesty and transparency we all want?
We agree! That might be the first time for us?

I would add to what you wrote, that it would be nice if they got out in front of it for once, instead of doing the bare minimum on the last day of the month, as they've done historically.

-Set reasonable targets
-Communicate reasonable targets
-Provide regular updates on reasonable targets (both good and bad)

Seems like a pretty basic but useful communications strategy to me. Maybe I should apply at Rivian.
Sponsored

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

132A002F-DAC7-453A-B074-417FA8C9B5C1.jpeg

Long-term forum members will remember my gear tunnel-compatible delay meme…the Rivian Adventure Walker that I will need by the time I get this thing.
I like your choice of colors. Nice!

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I can't speak to other's experience with their guides, but my delivery estimate was definitely not presented as a WAG. In fact he said he was confident that it would be sooner than the "delivery by" date.
I guess what I mean is that in hindsight, clearly they were WAGs. And your Guide probably received further training that when production hadn't even begun yet, he shouldn't be conveying high confidence levels in anything. I think by nature the Guides want to convey positivity and excitement, and this instance it can get them out over their skis.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
We agree! That might be the first time for us?

I would add to what you wrote, that it would be nice if they got out in front of it for once, instead of doing the bare minimum on the last day of the month, as they've done historically.

-Set reasonable targets

Seems like a pretty basic but useful communications strategy to me. Maybe I should apply at Rivian.
I think the IPO probably throws a big fat wrinkle into that aspiration. I have a feeling the communication will look something like this:

1. We're excited that deliveries have begun to numbers of loyal and hard-working employees. What a tremendous testament to a lot of hard work.
  2. We reached a monumental milestone of a successful IPO which secures much needed funding to execute on the next phases of our business plan.
  3. As we continue to work towards ramping up production to be able to move on to non-employee orders, we will strive to provide customers with as much information as we can, though recognize that this is a complex process and would humbly request patience and understanding as things may shift and change. We expect to begin public LE deliveries in XXXX starting XXXX , and will add additional locations as logistics which allow for it fall into place.
  4. Please look out for opportunities to see the R1T in person at one of our public events.
  5. We appreciate all the continued loyalty and look forward to getting each and every one of you into a Rivian SOON.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I'm okay with waiting longer, but It's surprising to me they'd rush to launch the IPO at a time when all of their orders are getting delayed. Can a supply chain issue still be locational? e.g. getting parts to specific locations of the service network? We do seem to have a shortage of truck drivers RN.

Also, I assumed the IPO was about going global. Seems like the launch could wait for a better news situation if it's about everybody's order getting delayed.

On the communication issues, it seems to me like something unexpected hit very recently. Why run First Mile and provide review trucks now if you were expecting big delays? That's lost marketing synergy if deliveries will be a trickle for the next 4 months. IMO, the situation may still be in flux, which is hard to communicate in a satisfying way. Definitely agreed something should have been said before the targets were missed though.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It's not realistic to expect personalized delivery timelines for most given where things currently stand.
I don't think we can expect (or trust) really specific timelines. But it'd be nice to know where we stand, in general terms. For example, Summer 2022? Fall 2022? Or even just "2023".

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
-Set reasonable targets
I think that item 1 and 2 are probably not really a thing that can happen. They can SWAG it (like my sofa... I was told "Dec" and then "Yeah.. how does April sound?"). So, "reasonable" targets will be kind of up to how you interpret their SWAG. Who is to say that when they said "October deliveries for folks!" was not a reasonable target, and then things went pear shaped.

I think the key here, is 3. Updates, constant communication with folks that have placed orders.

I'm fine being told "yeah, we have no lug nuts, we thought we would have them, but they are delayed by 4 months", but that's the thing, tell me it's delayed as soon as you know I'm impacted. You don't even have to tell me right away that you think my new date is XX/XX/XXXX until you know more.

But seriously... just.. communicate with people that have placed orders (especially if they are closing in on their expected delivery dates).

Last edited:

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I think the IPO probably throws a big fat wrinkle into that aspiration. I have a feeling the communication will look something like this:

1. We're excited that deliveries have begun to numbers of loyal and hard-working employees. What a tremendous testament to a lot of hard work.
  2. We reached a monumental milestone of a successful IPO which secures much needed funding to execute on the next phases of our business plan.
  3. As we continue to work towards ramping up production to be able to move on to non-employee orders, we will strive to provide customers with as much information as we can, though recognize that this is a complex process and would humbly request patience and understanding as things may shift and change. We expect to begin public LE deliveries in XXXX starting XXXX , and will add additional locations as logistics which allow for it fall into place.
  4. Please look out for opportunities to see the R1T in person at one of our public events.
  5. We appreciate all the continued loyalty and look forward to getting each and every one of you into a Rivian SOON.
Helpful:

This list is helpful as a minimum expectation bench mark. Assuming an aggressive and successful production increase prevails in the next few months, what should be said going forward, say by March 1st?

Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I don't think we can expect (or trust) really specific timelines. But it'd be nice to know where we stand, in general terms. For example, Summer 2022? Fall 2022? Or even just "2023".
Yep, fair enough. I just wouldn't sell my current vehicle or do anything like that based on those vague timelines. It's what I'll start telling others when they ask me when I'm getting my Rivian, but that's about all it's worth.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Also, now all I can visualize is your sofa trying to make it across the pacific by April...

1635959689271.png
I think my sofa order is a good example of how messed up things are in general.

1. I ordered it, was given a delivery date of "early Dec" (seemed a bit out there, but cool enough).
  2. A couple weeks later, they call and tell me that now it's looking like "Spring of next year" (holy hell).
  3. Two days ago, they email me and tell me they feel confident that it will be in April of next year.
Disappointing and annoying, but... workable and they are setting my expectations (like.. Sales and/or PM 101 here kiddies).

When I asked what was up with the slip, they pointed out that, while they are in California, and can build the frame, and have onshored their supplier for the metal springs (that keep your ass from going right through the sofa and hitting the floor), that the fabric is sourced from Bangladesh, and the two types of cushion foam are sourced from China.

So, while they could build some of it, and had the materials for some of it, they were stuck waiting on stuff that would take months to either produce and ship, or just flat out ship and get their hands on).

They offered to change up the order to what they had in stock, but, it's a totally different sofa.. so I declined.

I can't imagine how bad this is for building anything more complex (than a sofa).

"When will we get part X to ramp up and finish these 1,200 trucks Bob"?
"No F'n clue RJ... pretty sure a few of those parts we needed fell overboard while coming into the Seattle port..."

Part of me is pretty sure that RJ and team are currently in the following mood:
Rivian R1T R1S New Delivery Delay Confirmed - My R1T Delivery Pushed From October to end of February, 2022. It is a whiskey day

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Helpful:
This list is helpful as a minimum expectation bench mark. Assuming an aggressive and successful production increase prevails in the next few months, what should be said going forward, say by March 1st?
Well, assuming all of that pans out, I'd expect by March 1st they are talking about how they are continually expanding LE R1T deliveries to new markets, perhaps an update on non-LE R1T and LE R1S timeline (they will likely have started delivering these to employees already). Probably a projection of when LE should be complete, at least for the T. Cherry on top would be update on Max packs.

But nothing will go according to plan, so ask me again on February 25th.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
After wading through all 12.. (holy crap) pages in this thread, I think it's clear that:
  1. Rivian's communication "plan" is a shitfest, and they really need to step it up.
  2. Delays, while unpleasant, should be expected (given a sofa I ordered a month ago isn't slated to arrive until April... holy shit... it's a SOFA).
  3. Rivian's lack of communication (early communication, clear communication, and timely updates) is making point 2 WAY worse.
To @Zoidz point, the delays may well be outside of Rivian's hands (suppliers), and that we can cut them a break on the delays, however, their lack of a communication plan is pretty insulting.
West Elm?