First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e46 M3, e39 M5, e46 M3 converted wagon, i3, e60 M5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I can understand why you value your "infotainment". 150k miles on that M3 and 120k? on the M5. WOW! Good on you for keeping M cars that long. I can't see the odometer on the i3. All fun cars.

I would love to have CarPlay(I never drive without Waze) in the Rivian but it's not a deal breaker for me. My foray into EV started with a i3 REX and what became more important to me was an all electric range of more than 200 miles. I found out that I could live without CarPlay when I got into a Model Y Performance. The Model Y P is a phenomal drivers car and Autopilot is way better than it should be. I also found out that I can live without Autopilot when I gave up the Model Y so that my wife could get her e-Tron GT.

The important thing for me is that the Rivian will likely be a great car/truck to drive(as is/out of the box) which I doubt the F150 will be. I can always mount a iPhone holder somewhere in order to run Waze.
It’s worse than you think— ~25,000 of those M3 miles are on race tracks!

But, yeah— my daily commute was 120 miles for a while. That’s actually the reason I got the i3 originally. Plus, you know— had the M3 and M5 for 15-20 years, and drive them daily. It adds up.

It’s not really about the infotainment for me— it’s about having my podcasts/audio books synced between cars, not having to pay for a data plan for 6 different cars, and retaining my driver’s license (waze). Plus the background noise filtering now in iOS through FaceTime audio is so good that people don’t even realize you’re in a car.

OP
OP
Rivian_Hugh_III

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I do understand your points but disagree with your logic and conclusion. That’s all I have said. You make points, offer up shady conclusions as proof and are upset when I don’t agree. Rivian has their reasons for not including CarPlay but I think they are misguided. Multibillion dollar corporations make judgment errors all the time. I think this is one of them.

I think everyone understands that Rivian wants to milk the consumer for money. Everyone is implementing this model. I merely want the CarPlay and xm radio apps aside from that. If they dont give it to me, fine. I will still buy the vehicle, but imho it will be an inferior experience. They certainly have a minimal media App offering so far right now, unfortunately.
Thus my favorite quote: Do you agree with me or do you not understand what I am saying?

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Maybe Rivian will create an App Store?? That would solve a lot of problems.
It won’t- developers don’t care about a market 0.0000001% the size of the over 1 billion iPhones in active use.

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My understanding on the AA/CP issue, it's less about usability and integrated experience or even protecting streaming revenue or something like that. My understanding of the issue here is that there's great value about the data that Waze/Google Maps/etc collects when you're using it and THAT is what Rivian (and Tesla and potentially other manufacturers) want to capitalize on. Ford and some of the other traditional auto manufacturers aren't ready/able to leverage this data and they didn't have sufficient alternatives to AA/CP so they leveraged them. Rivian wants to get access to the data, so much so that they've built a lot of this functionality to avoid needing to allow AA/CP. Additionally, EVs like Rivian want to be able to include charging as part of the routing, something AA/CP don't do (at least not today). That's my understanding, anyway.
EV route planning is a thing— both through Apple Maps and the app “A better route planner”

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I’m pretty sure he said they were using ABRP for maps and charging. What does this say about Rivian’s changing maps?
That looks like Waze on the phone screen

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I’m pretty sure he said they were using ABRP for maps and charging. What does this say about Rivian’s changing maps?
If I were Rivian and only delivering to employees I might actually request all of them to do this and run ABRP or similar along their own mapping system. Even after delivering to customers that wouldn't be a bad idea.

I am guessing this is not the case and they are supplementing the shortcomings of the software with their phone but if you're an optimist you can think whatever you want ?

Last edited:

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
OP
OP
Rivian_Hugh_III

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
It won’t- developers don’t care about a market 0.0000001% the size of the over 1 billion iPhones in active use.
They'd have to make it easy. But software to port your existing app into Rivian could make it possible, I would think?

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
It’s worse than you think— ~25,000 of those M3 miles are on race tracks!

But, yeah— my daily commute was 120 miles for a while. That’s actually the reason I got the i3 originally. Plus, you know— had the M3 and M5 for 15-20 years, and drive them daily. It adds up.

It’s not really about the infotainment for me— it’s about having my podcasts/audio books synced between cars, not having to pay for a data plan for 6 different cars, and retaining my driver’s license (waze). Plus the background noise filtering now in iOS through FaceTime audio is so good that people don’t even realize you’re in a car.
Yeah, I noticed this too on Android with Google Meet and Duo. Background noise is a thing of the past. It even filters out my kid making noise in the back seat while I’m on a meeting call.

Sponsored

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
They'd have to make it easy. But software to port your existing app into Rivian could make it possible, I would think?
We’ll have to consult Microsoft on how that worked out for window’s phone ?

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

I reached out to customer service to express my wish that they had CarPlay.

I expected them to reply with an open-ended statement like, “we appreciate this feedback and will continue to work to support the needs of our customers.”

Instead, I got a reply that sounds like, “too bad so sad, now deal with it.”

Not sure what it means that they’re, “hoping to evolve later in the future.”

Here’s the email:

- - - - -

7578a182-e877-4fec-8076-965dcbb399cf.png

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for reaching out to us here at Rivian and we hope you had a nice holiday weekend!

We do not have Carplay or Android Auto. We believe that to create a truly incredible digital experience, an integrated platform that is optimized for our vehicles is the better path. Thank you so much for the insight, we're hoping to evolve later in the future.

Feel free to reach out anytime with any additional questions.

Your fellow adventurer,

Shyreeta
Mon-Fri: 7:00am-8:00pm CST
Sat-Sun: 7:00am-3:30pm CST
Rivian is not going to add CarPlay or AA - WHY DO WE KEEP HAVING THIS CONVERSATION! Just let it is die and move on!