Sponsored

New CarPlay Support Email?

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I here to enjoy my Rivian when it arrives - that why I am here. But, since NONE of us own the company outright like RJ, we should keep our wants to a realistic ask. If they dont want to add it, let it go then. When you own the company, and it called RYAN - then add whatever you want.

The question is - if you're that unhappy about what RIVIAN wont do, why are you here????
Wow, where to begin with this...

I don't mean on this forum. I mean why are you in this thread if you're so tired of hearing about CP/AA? And I fail to see how this forum, and particularly your posts on this thread, somehow contributes to your enjoyment of your Rivian.

RJ doesn't own Rivian outright. Can't believe I'm having to tell you this.

Out of all the "asks" for Rivian, CP/AA is one of the most realistic ones. What "wants" do you think are more realistic than a software feature that nearly all other manufacturers include today?

I'm here, in this particular thread, because I've had the R1T on preorder since May of 2019 and love the truck overall, but there's one element that has me on the fence. That's the whole reason this thread exists. Why does any thread critical of Rivian or their products exist? To vent, sure, but to also promote exposure to a concern of customers that hopefully is seen by folks at Rivian.

You don't want CP/AA, you feel confident they aren't going to add it. Fine. You've said your piece. Now you can happily ignore this thread. It's amazing what we can do just by not clicking on a link.
Sponsored

Last edited:

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Wow, where to begin with this...

I don't mean on this forum. I mean why are you in this thread if you're so tired of hearing about CP/AA?

RJ doesn't own Rivian outright. Can't believe I'm having to tell you this.

Out of all the "asks" for Rivian, CP/AA is one of the most realistic ones. What "wants" do you think are more realistic than a software feature that nearly all other manufacturers include today?

I'm here, in this particular thread, because I've had the R1T on preorder since May of 2019 and love the truck overall, but there's one element that has me on the fence. That's the whole reason this thread exists. Why does any thread critical of Rivian or their products exist? To vent, sure, but to also promote exposure to a concern of customers that hopefully is seen by folks at Rivian.

You don't want CP/AA, you feel confident they aren't going to add it. Fine. You've said your peace. Now you can happily ignore this thread. It's amazing what we can do just by not clicking on a link.
Thanks for pointing this out to me, I just know how I was going make it through day without you explaining this me. I'm WHOLE now - and I when I get my RIVIAN, I'll let you know how its going! CHEERS!! Your number 1! :)

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Thanks for pointing this out to me, I just know how I was going make it through day without you explaining this me. I'm WHOLE now - and I when I get my RIVIAN, I'll let you know how its going! CHEERS!! Your number 1! :)
*You're

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

You are! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! It's not that serious man.
Go in peace man! Have a good weekend! Enjoy YOUR AA/CP in whatever platform.

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e46 M3, e39 M5, e46 M3 converted wagon, i3, e60 M5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I here to enjoy my Rivian when it arrives - that why I am here. But, since NONE of us own the company outright like RJ, we should keep our wants to a realistic ask. If they dont want to add it, let it go then. When you own the company, and it called RYAN - then add whatever you want.

The question is - if you're that unhappy about what RIVIAN wont do, why are you here????
They didn't say they won't. They said they might.

So... makes sense to push it, if you're otherwise enthused with the truck.

I want them to add it so I can buy one, as I do want the truck. Just not with a glaring flaw (to me).

Sponsored

CMR

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes AMG E53 cabriolet, BMW X3
Occupation
Physician
Iā€™m certain that Rivianā€™s UI will meet most of my needs. And Iā€™m not purchasing the truck based on itā€™s user interface. Rather, the purchase is based on the fact that it offers all the utility I need, has a faster 0 to 60 time than most gas powered Porsches, can travel over 300 miles with a single charge, and has a suspension similar to a McLaren. Very cool.

However, I REALLY hope Rivian doesnā€™t make us pay a monthly subscription in order to have real time traffic data, satellite navigation images, or access to Spotify streaming when, with AP/AA, we can use the data from our cell phone plans that we already pay for. That would just seem like a money grab. Great for the company, but an unnecessary financial burden for the consumer.

And like others, I will absolutely miss Wazeā€˜s crowd sourced speed trap alerts. And no, I donā€™t want to have to fasten my cell phone to the windshield.

Is it possible that, like Spotify, other popular apps like Waze will be available to the native system in the future? Or is that out of the question? What apps are presently available aside from Spotify?

C

2021R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
I am just sick of buying a new vehicle that comes with features that after 90 days you need to pay 29.95, 39.95 and upto continue using!!! Audi recently sent me a long survey trying to determine what UI features I wanted and ultimately how much I was willing to
Pay for each. I was the wrong one for this type of survey. Give me a better free CarPlay interface. I am not paying extra for any damn thing.

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e46 M3, e39 M5, e46 M3 converted wagon, i3, e60 M5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I am just sick of buying a new vehicle that comes with features that after 90 days you need to pay 29.95, 39.95 and upto continue using!!! Audi recently sent me a long survey trying to determine what UI features I wanted and ultimately how much I was willing to
Pay for each. I was the wrong one for this type of survey. Give me a better free CarPlay interface. I am not paying extra for any damn thing.
Or $46, on this truck ?

But, yesā€” agreed. Selling a $70,000+ truck and then deliberately making it worse to incentivize a subscription is petty and user hostile.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I understand peopleā€™s disdain for monthly recurring charges and I feel exactly the same way, howeverā€¦

1. The monthly cost of Rivianā€™s subscription service should end up being less than the average monthly cost of maintenance for a comparable ICE vehicle, which could still require a subscription fee on top of the maintenance.

2. Sometimes recurring costs are needed to keep a business viable. If it benefits me to have the business stick around for the long term, then I resent the recurring cost less. As an example, we have a CatGenie self-cleaning litter box for our cat. Some people choose to go with work-arounds to lower the cost of consumables but I figure if everyone did that then the company would eventually fail and we wouldnā€™t have support for existing products or improved/new products.

I will be happier as a customer if Rivian provides CarPlay (and AA for those who use it) as an extra cost option (ideally one-time or, ugh, recurring) than being told that I canā€™t have it at all. To me, this is a reasonable solution which is a win for the business and the customer.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I will be happier as a customer if Rivian provides CarPlay (and AA for those who use it) as an extra cost option (ideally one-time or, ugh, recurring) than being told that I canā€™t have it at all. To me, this is a reasonable solution which is a win for the business and the customer.
Agreed that an option is better than no option, though they'd be the only automaker doing that. It'd be a dick move, but I'd consider paying for it, certainly more-so than paying for the proposed service.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Agreed that an option is better than no option, though they'd be the only automaker doing that. It'd be a dick move, but I'd consider paying for it, certainly more-so than paying for the proposed service.
Yes, I agree it would be a dick move and seems hostile from a customer perspective. But Iā€™d still prefer that over not getting it at all.

Itā€™s kind of like Porsche charging tens of thousands for custom or semi-custom paint colors or like Tesla charging what they charge for a white interior versus black in the M3 and MY. These things seem to be a cash-grab given what I imagine the actual costs are to the manufacturer, but for those customers willing to pay the price, it is worth it for them to get what they want.

I see Rivian offering AA/CP as bundled with, or an add-on to, the regular service and not in place of the regular service. This is a near certainty if part of their revenue comes from data collection which requires the vehicle to be connected even if we arenā€™t using the service for our own needs. It may very well be that the terms of service for the regular subscription are what give them permission to collect and use the data, too. I may not like this but I do understand it and Iā€™m probably willing to pay the price.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I hate to break it to folks, but the subscription model is not only here to stay, but it will grow.

If you don't want a subscription to unlock features on your vehicle, or don't want your vehicle to push data back to the company (telemetry on vehicle performance, location, maintenance, use patterns, etc...), you should probably look at something from about 2012 and previous.

As for CarPlay/AndroidAuto, if there is no hardware requirement, or licensing fee that Rivian has to pay Apple or Google to put it in the car as an option... who knows, it might pop up.

That said, if they are trying to build a closed system, who is to say they won't build something equally good, if not better?

Everyone thought Apple was nuts to build the iPhone, or Tesla to make the model S... times change, tech changes, tastes evolve.

...it is literally why we are all here, and not on the Ford or GM forums.

Is CarPlay and AndroidAuto a miss? Maybe, but I'll reserve judgment until I've both experienced the UX myself, and they (Rivian) have had time to make adjustments.

...but that's just me.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I hate to break it to folks, but the subscription model is not only here to stay, but it will grow.

If you don't want a subscription to unlock features on your vehicle, or don't want your vehicle to push data back to the company (telemetry on vehicle performance, location, maintenance, use patterns, etc...), you should probably look at something from about 2012 and previous.

As for CarPlay/AndroidAuto, if there is no hardware requirement, or licensing fee that Rivian has to pay Apple or Google to put it in the car as an option... who knows, it might pop up.

That said, if they are trying to build a closed system, who is to say they won't build something equally good, if not better?

Everyone thought Apple was nuts to build the iPhone, or Tesla to make the model S... times change, tech changes, tastes evolve.

Is CarPlay and AndroidAuto a miss? Maybe, but I'll reserve judgment until I've both experienced the UX myself, and they (Rivian) have had time to make adjustments.

...bit that's just me.
Nicely stated! ??

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars

...but that's just me.
The common refrain here is ā€œwhat if they deliver something better?ā€ Okay, great! As a big CP/AA advocate I welcome this possibility, as Iā€™m sure anyone would.

The issue is two-fold:

1. ā€œbetterā€ is subjective (to an extent), but if you donā€™t believe that, thenā€¦
2. What theyā€™re offering + what theyā€™ve promised is objectively not better.

Iā€™ve asked this same question multiple times across multiple threads, and none of the defenders of this decision to exclude CP/AA have answered it yet: in what way is Rivianā€™s offering today + what has been promised better than CP/AA?

If your answer in any way relies on ā€œthey canā€™t monetize those systemsā€ weā€™ve already proposed the idea of charging for CP/AA access for those of us who are adamant about their benefits. What else you got?
Sponsored

Last edited: