IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

You folks are so wrong and so out to lunch I am going to stop replying on this thread... THEY ALL TRY TO CONTROL APPS, ECOSYSTEMS, ETC!!!

For god sake, do you know when Apple allowed Waze in Carplay? How about the APP store delay for public apps, then approvals, and challenges with any app the competes with apple. Or gsuite, or Oracle, or NetApp, or Cisco, or about every single tech company ever...You don't listen to brand new customers whine about competing products...lol.

It appears many here have not a clue about how technology companies run, and are buying a car from a technology company, not a great match...

Peace folks...Have fun w/ your iPhones/Android phones suctioned cupped to your Rivians...lol
LOL
Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Lol...the comments on this topic.

Jobs, Elon, Sergei/Page, Gates, Bezos...if they thought like people on this forum - I don't even know - but best believe they thought this at one point "one guy's vision who thinks he's better than everyone else..."

The Rivian is not for everyone. Neither was a personal computer in the early 80's, or an iPhone/Android when those came out, or the WWW in the 90's. Rivian is an early adopter vehicle for people that see a vision inline with the company. If you don't great, some other choices.

Google maps and Waze were nixed from Carplay for competitive reasons until Apple could work on their maps...They needed folks in the ecosystem to help. Rivian is likely doing the same.

I abhor Carplay, one of the worst interfaces Apple has ever released, but the large auto companies were worse. Now with an integrated approach, and software focus, kicking the pants off Carplay is insight.

Glad RJ is focusing on innovation and not listening to the folks that reviled a touchscreen for their phones w/ the iPhone and Android came out - folks not to listen to when building a company.

Rented a Kia this past week with wireless Carplay. From my experience its not designed for the "Carplay" phone to leave the car while its still on or in accesory mode. I had to toggle off bluetooth several times on the host iPhone for it to "restart" wireless Carplay. I was annoyed but ultimately wasn't all that mad, it's a giant bandaid. In the days of truly awful car infotainment Carplay works as a stand in. Sure Waze was great but I realized I could just have it running with the sound set to alerts only over bluetooth. This thread took a bit of a turn, I get throwing my $.02 into the mix but realistically Rivian isn't going to add Carplay or AA unless there's some incentive to do so. I'm not sure what that incentive could possibly be.

JakiChan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Honda Ridgeline, 2018 Porsche Cayman 718 S
You are incorrect, and wildly so, they ALL locked in hard because it made business sense and they had a vision not 12 months down the road but 120

Pretty confident RJ can ignore the noise as well and build a great company. We’ll see.
Uhm, no. I can use several navigation apps on CarPlay. And guess what, I use Apple Maps sometimes because they added features that beat the competition.

JakiChan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
While my limited experience with Spotify has been decent, as I stated previously, I'd prefer to keep Sirius/XM as well. I love Deep Tracks and its neighborhood of Rock stations. That said, I'm willing to take the leap of faith and try it as delivered by Rivian.
Great that it works for you. It's a non-starter for me. I much prefer Apple Music. You could put Spotify in a GT3 and give it to me for free and I wouldn't still say I liked it. (Then again, wouldn't need much music in a GT3.)

Point being, this type of glitch may have been prevented if the entire system was monolithic in its design and control.
Maybe. But what's odd is I've had 4 different Sirius/XM receivers - aftermarket in my Mk IV R32, factory in my Ridgeline, aftermarket in my Ridgeline (when I swapped the head unit out), and factory in my Porsche. Never had any problem with any of them.

I use it mostly for live news. If RJ can tell me how he's going to deliver live news when I don't have data I'm all ears.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Great that it works for you. It's a non-starter for me. I much prefer Apple Music. You could put Spotify in a GT3 and give it to me for free and I wouldn't still say I liked it. (Then again, wouldn't need much music in a GT3.)

Maybe. But what's odd is I've had 4 different Sirius/XM receivers - aftermarket in my Mk IV R32, factory in my Ridgeline, aftermarket in my Ridgeline (when I swapped the head unit out), and factory in my Porsche. Never had any problem with any of them.

I use it mostly for live news. If RJ can tell me how he's going to deliver live news when I don't have data I'm all ears.
To each, their own.

I'm glad it's worked out for you. I have no experience with Apple Music, and doubt that I ever will. I hear it's loved and adored by many. I also appreciate that people love what they're used to, and want what they want.

As I've said for months, I wish I could have Sirius/XM in my R1T, tinnitus aside. Alas, I cannot, yet I choose to go forward with Rivian nonetheless, even without S/XM . I'll give it a try, and if i can't survive without that system, I'll dump the Rivian and rail against RJ and his empire until the End of Days.

BTW, if you can arrange that free GT3 with Spotify for me, I'll gladly take it. As you alluded to, that car makeits own music. ?

A Happy and Healthy 2022 to you and yours!

JakiChan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As I've said for months, I wish I could have Sirius/XM in my R1T, tinnitus aside. Alas, I cannot, yet I choose to go forward with Rivian nonetheless, even without S/XM . I'll give it a try, and if i can't survive without that system, I'll dump the Rivian and rail against RJ and his empire until the End of Days.
Well, in a worst case scenario you can use a Sirius mobile app to play what you want with your phone on the windshield like some base model Kia. It's sad, but I guess it's what they want.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Well, in a worst case scenario you can use a Sirius mobile app to play what you want with your phone on the windshield like some base model Kia. It's sad, but I guess it's what they want.
Yeah, I realize I may be relegated to that. As I stated elsewhere earlier, with concert and explosion-impaired hearing, I may not notice the difference much over an integrated system. I'll still have S/XM available online, as I'll keep my subscription for a few other cars, and try listening in my Rivian via Bluetooth.

A vehicle without music is like watching The View without Tequila. OK....that was rude of me. I would never watch that show with, or without Tequila.... ???

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

. Sure Waze was great but I realized I could just have it running with the sound set to alerts only over bluetooth. This thread took a bit of a turn, I get throwing my $.02 into the mix but realistically Rivian isn't going to add Carplay or AA unless there's some incentive to do so. I'm not sure what that incentive could possibly be.
I’ll be doing the same for Waze. The only other app I’ll miss is Gaia on OnX. Those are superior navigation apps when off roading. But it will help a lot if Rivian supports GPX files for navigation.

On the subject of Spotify, I’m going to give it a try. I’m not married to Apple Music. Frankly there are certain UX aspects of it that I don’t care for. The main thing I need to make the switch is a way to copy my playlists over from Apple Music.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
This may be a dumb question, but for those who use Apple Music or other music services not named Spotify what happens when you plug in your iPhone via usb or connect via BT and try to listen to music? Does the native UI allow access to those playlists, etc Just not “in” the Apple Music app?

My Tacoma has never had CarPlay and the Toyota Entune system still allows me to listen to everything I want to. If the Rivian set up is similar then I personally don’t see this as a big deal. I see that some really do and I get that - everyone has their wants/ needs.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This may be a dumb question, but for those who use Apple Music or other music services not named Spotify what happens when you plug in your iPhone via usb or connect via BT and try to listen to music? Does the native UI allow access to those playlists, etc Just not “in” the Apple Music app?
Nope. There is currently ZERO support for USB music.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP

My Tacoma has never had CarPlay and the Toyota Entune system still allows me to listen to everything I want to. If the Rivian set up is similar then I personally don’t see this as a big deal. I see that some really do and I get that - everyone has their wants/ needs.
I believe it has the standard Bluetooth streaming controls most cars have.

I’d be curious if they enable more music services via Alexa as well. Alexa supports Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, SiriusXM, Tune In, and many others. I use an Echo Auto device in our old car to stream SiriusXM stuff pretty frequently, for example. I just had to enable the SiriusXM Alexa skill and log into my SiriusXM account.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I believe it has the standard Bluetooth streaming controls most cars have.

I’d be curious if they enable more music services via Alexa as well. Alexa supports Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, SiriusXM, Tune In, and many others. I use an Echo Auto device in our old car to stream SiriusXM stuff pretty frequently, for example. I just had to enable the SiriusXM Alexa skill and log into my SiriusXM account.
I would hope that is the case. Sometimes it comes much later. I believe CarPlay was out for years before Honda and Toyota finally started adding it only recently to the latest vehicles. It makes sense that if Alexa is built in we should eventually be able to use it as designed.

I had never looked into TuneIn before. It appears to offer the things I use Sirius for most of the time - news and NFL games. Granted it’s probably not going to work in remote areas like Sirius, but it will probably suit me just fine. Sirius has other cool channels but nothing I can’t live without.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development

It appears to work exactly the same as you described with the Entune system based on the video I saw a couple days ago. My Tesla is the exact same way and I dont miss Carplay at all… I use the built in streaming, but most times I ask Siri to play what I want from Apple Music. Or my daughters want the phone to pick their music without my input! Hahaha

That all said, I know a lot of folks (clearly) want CarPlay/AA. But for me I dont miss it

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
Rivian executives decided not to include Apple Car Play.
Sponsored