Sponsored

Navigation system help - how do you map out round trips with charging stops?

Steve Meister

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
I think I need some advice on using the navigation system on the R1T. My basic question is how do you map out round trips with charging stops?

Last weekend I went from central Illinois to Oshkosh WI. Nav told me I didn’t have to make a charging stop, but didn’t show me any charging stations once I got to my destination, so to be safe, I stopped in Madison and got enough juice to get to Oshkosh and back to Madison. There is a whole other story about charging at the Madison Super Walmart, but that’s a separate issue.

I think I am smart enough to do work arounds, based on successful trips to Pennsylvania, St Louis, Chicago, and Oshkosh from Peoria, IL, but I guess it would be kind of nice if the nav suggested charging stops for me knowing I would have to come home sometime.

Am I missing something?
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You're not missing anything -- the navigation implementation is bare-bones and doesn't support this. It gets you TO the destination, but it makes no checks that you'll have enough SoC to do what you want to do while there, nor does it ensure you have enough SoC to get to a suitable charger for your return trip.

I have been using ABRP to outline my trips and be aware of what I need to do... Then I'll use the R1T navigation for specific legs of the journey.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I see what you are saying but the Rivian doesn't know that you don't have charging available in Oshkosh, for example you could have a personal L2 there.

So I don't think your missing something but it sounds like you did the right thing, if you don't have charging at your destination always make sure you have enough charge to get along to the charger on return. I am not sure if any other car would do this differently but the only other EV I have experience with is an EV6 so others can correct me if I am wrong.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
The current system is only built for a starting and end point. They will have to work on adding capability for waypoints and out and back/round trip planning.

The good news is that they have the absolute best partner in the world to have the most robust route planning capability on the planet with time.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I see what you are saying but the Rivian doesn't know that you don't have charging available in Oshkosh, for example you could have a personal L2 there.

So I don't think your missing something but it sounds like you did the right thing, if you don't have charging at your destination always make sure you have enough charge to get along to the charger on return. I am not sure if any other car would do this differently but the only other EV I have experience with is an EV6 so others can correct me if I am wrong.
The etron lets you add numerous waypoints, and one of those can be your home as the final destination to complete a round trip. I know Tesla had to add waypoints later on to their system, so it will just take time. In the meantime, it would be super convenient to just have a "out and back/round trip button" that simply adds your starting point as the return, even if it didn't let you add 4 different waypoints in between.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Navigation sucks, that's all there is to it.
Another reason we need Carplay/Android Auto support.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Navigation sucks, that's all there is to it.
Another reason we need Carplay/Android Auto support.
Can Carplay/Android Auto calculate charging stops at all? I've never used it but I would have assumed that it had no awareness of the vehicle's state of charge and range estimate.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

The current system is only built for a starting and end point. They will have to work on adding capability for waypoints and out and back/round trip planning.

The good news is that they have the absolute best partner in the world to have the most robust route planning capability on the planet with time.
Who is this partner?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Can Carplay/Android Auto calculate charging stops at all? I've never used it but I would have assumed that it had no awareness of the vehicle's state of charge and range estimate.
Yes, it can.

https://support.apple.com/en-ph/guide/iphone/iphc5e3a4b4b/ios

The Maps app can help you plan trips that include stops for charging your electric vehicle (EV).

When you get driving directions, Maps can track your vehicle’s charge. By analyzing elevation changes along the route and other factors, Maps identifies appropriate charging stations along the way. If you drive until your charge gets too low, you’re offered a route to the nearest compatible charging station.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
CarPlay just brings your IPhone apps to the car - so, technically no, CarPlay can't, but running ABRP on your phone and displaying it via CarPlay can.
Apple Maps does.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Who is this partner?
I was guessing they were referring to Amazon, which is a real stretch to think Amazon is letting their IP go into the truck.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Apple Maps does.
Apple maps does but CarPlay does not - CarPlay just mirrors the display. If CarPlay could do it natively it wouldn't need a phone.

So, while I'm being pedantic, I'm also technically correct.

ETA: My response made more sense before you changed your reply

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Apple maps does but CarPlay does not - CarPlay just mirrors the display. If CarPlay could do it natively it wouldn't need a phone.

So, while I'm being pedantic, I'm also technically correct.
You're only technically correct in the sense that you could argue that iPhone doesn't let you make calls. The Phone app does.... Which runs on the iPhone.

It's beyond pedantic.

When someone asks "does CarPlay do XYZ" then you know they're asking if they can interact with some app to accomplish that task through CarPlay. In the case of navigation routing being aware of EV state of charge the answer is not only YES via third party apps, but also YES with the stock Apple Maps app.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You should be able to navigate home and then add your middle stop in with Alexa. I haven't actually tested this out though.
Sponsored