Sponsored

NACS and R2S news coming in March???

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Maybe, except I already have the Tesla app and can start magic dock superchargers with subscription for $0.35/KW, essentially the same as EVGO, EA, Chargepoint. They already are getting $$$ from the government to open access to their chargers, a requirement for getting federal money. They'll be thrilled to have open chargers being used by someone.
Makes me think you haven't read the thread. Magic Dock allows *any* CCS vehicle to charge like this. But that's not true of ordinary superchargers - Tesla is only allowing brands that have an agreement with Tesla to use the ordinary superchargers with an adapter. No other brands are allowed. So how does Tesla restrict charging with just the Tesla app?
Sponsored

jwanderson88

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
I'm EXTREMELY interested to see what direction the styling of the R2 is taking. It could be everybody is wrong. The R1 was unconventional and groundbreaking (styling-wise). Why wouldn't the R2 be groundbreaking, and not a copy of the R1? Rivian has an opportunity to do something groundbreaking. I hope they do. Styling "themes" are boring.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
"Soon" is a contraction of "so on", as in "and so on".
Wait, I can't tell if your being serious right now.... Because that would explain ALOT.

Also Welcome to the Forum.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm EXTREMELY interested to see what direction the styling of the R2 is taking. It could be everybody is wrong. The R1 was unconventional and groundbreaking (styling-wise). Why wouldn't the R2 be groundbreaking, and not a copy of the R1? Rivian has an opportunity to do something groundbreaking. I hope they do. Styling "themes" are boring.
It's probably just going to be a baby R1.

rockandrollray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Television Editor
Clubs

It would REALLY surprise me if this was the case. Because if Tesla wanted to do that then they could have done it years ago and sold the adapters and made millions on charging CCS vehicles. And they wouldn't have spent the last year making a fuss about NACS.

If Tesla allowed all CCS vehicles to charge at all superchargers, then there would be little to no incentive for people to switch to NACS. And that is part of the point of this exercise.
Tesla is doing this now because it’s a stipulation to receive funds from the governments new EV bill. In order to receive these funds your charging network must be open to other EV’s and not exclusive to your own company. By opening their network they now can expand by using the government funding and less of their own money. The plus for Tesla is that they also got everyone to switch to their charge technology in the process AND they can charge more money to Non Tesla EV consumers to use their charging network. Right now Rivian is billing its users for RAN use and staying exclusive BUT they will eventually accept government money as well to expand and then our RANS will be open to other EV’s.

Sponsored

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
Access to Superchargers would greatly improve convenience for me. Can't charge at home and the nearest EAs are always hogged by small EVs who don't really need the fast chargers. The Superchargers generally unoccupied past peak hours.
Really all EV drivers are in this together. Drivers of “small EVs” need charging too and their access is just as valid as yours. Let’s all pull in the same direction for quick rollout of more stations. FWIW, when charging our Bolt, we always try to take a 150 at EA, and leave the Chademo open if possible. When charging the Rivian, I’ll take a 150 if my SoC is such that I won’t pull a higher rate.

-Joel

RivRowCoach

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Chevy Bolt, 1981 CJ-7
Occupation
Rowing Coach
My Rivian contact says the Supercharger network access should be ready (along with adapters) in March or April. They are still sorting through the back-end billing which drives the uncertainty around launch timing.
That would be Amazing!

RivRowCoach

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Chevy Bolt, 1981 CJ-7
Occupation
Rowing Coach
Really all EV drivers are in this together. Drivers of “small EVs” need charging too and their access is just as valid as yours. Let’s all pull in the same direction for quick rollout of more stations. FWIW, when charging our Bolt, we always try to take a 150 at EA, and leave the Chademo open if possible. When charging the Rivian, I’ll take a 150 if my SoC is such that I won’t pull a higher rate.

-Joel
This is the same as us. Bolt a d R1S family. Wife's bolt is so great to charge quickly at the 50kw charger. Can't wait for the supercharger, unless irs silly expensive.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus

-Joel
This is the same as us. Bolt a d R1S family. Wife's bolt is so great to charge quickly at the 50kw charger. Can't wait for the supercharger, unless irs silly expensive.

This illustrates context for my previous comment. I frequently see small and/or 800V EVs taking up the 150 or 350kW spots while the 50kW is left wide open.

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
This illustrates context for my previous comment. I frequently see small and/or 800V EVs taking up the 150 or 350kW spots while the 50kW is left wide open.
In my experience, EA stations have a 50kW Chademo combined with a 150 CCS. I’ve never seen a 50kW CCS EA kiosk (except when one was down rated). I do leave the Chademo open if at all possible in case a Leaf comes along, seems like common courtesy. So yes, I hook my Bolt Up to the 150 kW EA kiosk.

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Yep that’s what I was saying. A CCS EV willl only be able to charge at v3 and v4 stations. If those EVs switch to the NACS plug then they might be able to use the early superchargers.
I don't think there's anything the physical connect will do for legacy stations. There may be additional hardware or software that could make it possible.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Definitely an East Coast issue. Far less Superchargers and they tend to have 8 stalls at most - even on newer ones. Some have 10. Never seen more than that and I’ve been up and done I95.

Not complaining. I will take what I can get. But having had a Tesla since 2013, I have no faith in any timeline they provide.
There is a Tesla SC at a Wawa convenience store in Philadelphia just off of I-95 that has 20 stalls. Virtually all newer Wawa locations have SC's these days, and while they tend to have fewer stalls than this one does, I suspect there are more than few with a dozen or more.
Rivian R1T R1S NACS and R2S news coming in March??? 1706014534349

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Just to set some expectation on the Supercharger Network, I just took the Model S on a trip from SoCal to Boston then down to Florida over the last two weeks, 1/3rd of the Superchargers I hit were L2 and these will not work with the new adapters.

It will be nice having all of that access though as the places I stopped had at least 8 chargers and most were 12 or more and rarely were there more than 2 cars there including me.

Most chargers were working great, saw a couple units down, worst was Springfield MS, 8 chargers, only 2 working, tried 6 before I got a good one, it was slow but it worked.

Curious to see if that looks the same when going back from FL to SoCal next week.
Just to update the final stats. Trip was 6500 miles, used 64 distinct Superchargers, 39% were V2 only, the other 61% had at least 2 250kW.

There was no waiting, in many locations I was the only car charging. The only charger with an issue was Springfield, MO, that was the one with 2 250kW chargers, they were not working, there were 8 150kW chargers there and only 2 were working but were charging under 60kWh at the max.

I have the station list if anyone is interested.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
There's news of a 'worldwide product launch event' in Laguna Beach on March 7th. I'm guessing this is related to the R2 although I guess they could also be hosting a large event for the R1 refresh.

Rivian R1T R1S NACS and R2S news coming in March??? 1706052533047
Sponsored