Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Can’t argue with any of those points. You have to get what fits your family best right now. Plus, who doesn’t like to have a nice new bathroom?
I'm not going to waste my time arguing against the "Now You Know" Telsastans.
Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Hmmmm, maybe I'll trade in my kick arse R1T, which gives me wood, for a homogenious 4-door sedan that looks like it belongs in a rental fleet.

J/K.

Rivian R1T R1S My First and Likely Last Post 1677949342173

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Hmmmm, maybe I'll trade in my kick arse R1T, which gives me wood, for a homogenious 4-door sedan that looks like it belongs in a rental fleet.

J/K.
I mean at least the Y isn't quite a compliance car.

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

The OP’s reasoning is logical, except for the heavy reliance on the “Now You Know” videos. There’s another thread on this forum about their recent cold weather test, which was clearly click bait. It’s one thing when this type of misinformation generates a lot of YouTube views, but to see it influence the purchasing decision of an actual buyer is just sad.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'm not going to waste my time arguing against the "Now You Know" Telsastans.
I agree. Although I see a difference between what OP is doing and the posts where someone shows up out of the blue, makes a bunch of unfounded and uninformed claims about both Rivian and Tesla and just want a bunch of us to jump through hoops and give them attention trying to convince them they are either right or wrong.

He wants or needs the tax credit. A Tesla saves him money and has an effective charging network. Not much else to say.

Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
homogenious 4-door sedan that looks like it belongs in a rental fleet.
Ouch. That’s something I never saw, but now can’t unsee.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
So basically you don't need a truck -- probably never needed a truck -- and don't want a premium product and you came here to announce your decision is based on youtubbbers who made money off your clicks. cool

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler, Tesla Model 3
I canceled my R1T reservation and picked up a MY after the recent price drop. With rebate came to around 46k. Same reasons as you, the 25k+ price savings.
That being said I have driven 3 Rivian’s at this point and can say there is a massive difference in quality / fit and finish. The Rivian feels every bit more expensive than the updated MY price.

Sponsored

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Soooo evidence that people Do cross-shop the Rivian with the Model Y?
This I don't understand personally. R1T is a pickup, Tesla doesn't offer one (the cyber truck is not a pickup, its a childish monstrosity of a vehicle).

The model Y "whyyyy" is claimed to be an SUV when in fact it's an Crossover. Again, I wouldn't compare it to a pickup, let alone the R1S which is an SUV. Tesla calling it an SUV is marking to soccer moms who want passenger space but not a minivan, it will never be a capable SUV. I certainly wouldn't take it offroad, nor will 99.9% of it's drivers.

While based on title, the OP will never read this, I'll ask the audience why not go with a Ford Lightning if you want an established company with a vast array of service centers. 15 seconds of searching found many under the 75k barrier and you are still getting a pickup which is what they wanted.

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Tesla is only opening up a select amount of chargers, it's not going to change the pathetic CCS charging network much.

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Some people will cross shop unrelated vehicles but it doesn't matter if it's apples to apples, it only matters to the buyer.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

This I don't understand personally. R1T is a pickup, Tesla doesn't offer one (the cyber truck is not a pickup, its a childish monstrosity of a vehicle).

The model Y "whyyyy" is claimed to be an SUV when in fact it's an Crossover. Again, I wouldn't compare it to a pickup, let alone the R1S which is an SUV. Tesla calling it an SUV is marking to soccer moms who want passenger space but not a minivan, it will never be a capable SUV. I certainly wouldn't take it offroad, nor will 99.9% of it's drivers.

While based on title, the OP will never read this, I'll ask the audience why not go with a Ford Lightning if you want an established company with a vast array of service centers. 15 seconds of searching found many under the 75k barrier and you are still getting a pickup which is what they wanted.
"SUV" has been stretched pretty far in the last 10 years by the industry. Sport. Utility. Vehicle. Many SUVs don't meet the Sport term. Merriam Webster says, "a rugged automotive vehicle similar to a station wagon but built on a light-truck chassis." IIHS says, "SUVs typically are built on heavy-duty chassis capable of off-road use, although many new generation utility vehicles are built on passenger car platforms." I couldn't find NHTSA definition for SUV.

I remember seeing a Ford Edge, built in a Fusion sedan frame, marketed as an SUV in late 2000s. Now they call it a CUV, crossover SUV, slightly more appropriate. Am I missing some industry regulated glossary somewhere?
Sponsored