Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Office boy
Clubs

within 70 ft of the R1S. It also allows us to plug into...
  • a level two Tesla charger and charge at 40 amps
  • 14-50 outlet and charge at reduced 40 amps for safety
  • 120v outlet
I may have missed a component on your list, but if you're using the Rivian mobile EVSE, 32 amps is the max.

(Sorry if I missed something.)
Sponsored

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I may have missed a component on your list, but if you're using the Rivian mobile EVSE, 32 amps is the max.

(Sorry if I missed something.)
You are correct, I had double stated there, updated

R1TAPRAK

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LELGRN
Occupation
Healthcare
I had previously mentioned an extension cord I bought and some adapters for when we travel to vacation homes and Airbnbs. Others had asked me details of exactly what I got both here and on Facebook and I just added an adapter for level 2 Tesla chargers so I thought I would put a full list of everything I have in my "kit" here with some photos.

I went for the 80% solution here (the only limitation is being able to charge at full rate at a 14-50 outlet from 68ft away) as we don't get to drive in campgrounds much and are trying to have the ability to charge at a remote ski house, beach house, or relative's house. It is important to me that it is compact and stores well. All of these will easily be stored in the spare tire well for our R1S. It won't fit with the spare tire in there, it probably would if I wound the cords around the tire, but I like them in the bags. We leave these at home most of the time unless we are going on a road trip to a vacation home destination.

Note when charging with any of these components you need to follow the 80% rule (24 amps on dyer outlets) to make sure you are no overloading house wiring and breakers, especially with unknown houses you might be staying at. You can change the amps draw in the Rivian Energy screen. (Lower right of this picture, check it every time as it will sometimes reset from other charging sessions)
3.JPG

The following kit allows us to plug into...

• A 10-30 (old standard pre-1998) dryer outlet and charge at 24 amps for safety
  • 14-30 (new standard since 1998) dryer outlet and charge at 24 amps for safety
  • 14-50 outlet and charge at auto-selected amps
  • 120v outlet at auto-selected amps
...within 18 ft of the R1S (most of this is stock Rivian components)

The kit (opened up):

1000013216.png

The kit packed up:
1000013217.png

The components:
  • The stock Rivian mobile charger
  • The stock Rivian mobile charger 14-50 adapter
  • The stock Rivian mobile charger 120 v adapter
  • The stock Rivian mobile charger bag that holds the Rivian Mobile Charger, the stock 14-50 and 120v mobile charger plugs and the tesla J1772 to Tesla adapter
  • A 50 ft gear IT 14-30 extension cord with 14-30 plug. I chose this because it is considerably lighter than a 14-50 cord and still serves my main purpose which is being able to charge off of dryer outlets at vacation homes which nearly everyone has. I was willing to trade the weight savings for the limited ability of not charging at a 14-50 outlet with the cord with full amps. The corn stays nice and pliable even in cold weather and I can reach even second and third story laundry rooms at most house rentals if needed when combined with the Rivian Mobile Charger length
  • GearIT Tesla to J 1772 adapter. I was so happy with the price and performance of the extension cord I was pretty glad to see them come out just recently with this adapter under the same brand for a good price. I was also happy to see it was ETL certified given some of the other adapters on the market have stories of melting down or having other problems. Used anytime I want to plug the Rivian into a Tesla Level 2 destination charger (available at a lot of AirBNBs)
  • A circle cord brand 14-30p adapter that converts the long extension cord to 14-50. Used anytime you want to use the extension cord with the Rivian Mobile Charger
  • A 10-30 to 14-30 adapter that converts "4 prong to 3 prong" or the post-1998 4 prong dryer outlet standard to the pre-1998 3 prong dryer outlet standard in case we stay at an old home that has not updated their dryer outlet. Note the weird wire with the single prong on it. It gets plugged into a ground, you can plug it into any ground (like the third hole on a 110 outlet)
  • A jumper cable bag that holds the extension cord and 14-30 adapters with zip closure.
TY!

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
I had previously mentioned an extension cord I bought and some adapters for when we travel to vacation homes and Airbnbs. Others had asked me details of exactly what I got both here and on Facebook and I just added an adapter for level 2 Tesla chargers so I thought I would put a full list of everything I have in my "kit" here with some photos.

I went for the 80% solution here (the only limitation is being able to charge at full rate at a 14-50 outlet from 68ft away) as we don't get to drive in campgrounds much and are trying to have the ability to charge at a remote ski house, beach house, or relative's house. It is important to me that it is compact and stores well. All of these will easily be stored in the spare tire well for our R1S. It won't fit with the spare tire in there, it probably would if I wound the cords around the tire, but I like them in the bags. We leave these at home most of the time unless we are going on a road trip to a vacation home destination.

Note when charging with any of these components you need to follow the 80% rule (24 amps on dyer outlets) to make sure you are no overloading house wiring and breakers, especially with unknown houses you might be staying at. You can change the amps draw in the Rivian Energy screen. (Lower right of this picture, check it every time as it will sometimes reset from other charging sessions)
3.JPG

The kit (opened up):

1000013216.png

The kit packed up:
1000013217.png

The components:
  • The stock Rivian mobile charger bag that holds the Rivian Mobile Charger, the stock 14-50 and 120v mobile charger plugs and the tesla J1772 to Tesla adapter
  • A 50 ft gear IT 14-30 extension cord with 14-30 plug. I chose this because it is considerably lighter than a 14-50 cord and still serves my main purpose which is being able to charge off of dryer outlets at vacation homes which nearly everyone has. I was willing to trade the weight savings for the limited ability of not charging at a 14-50 outlet with the cord with full amps. The corn stays nice and pliable even in cold weather and I can reach even second and third story laundry rooms at most house rentals if needed when combined with the Rivian Mobile Charger length
  • GearIT Tesla to J 1772 adapter. I was so happy with the price and performance of the extension cord I was pretty glad to see them come out just recently with this adapter under the same brand for a good price. I was also happy to see it was ETL certified given some of the other adapters on the market have stories of melting down or having other problems. Used anytime I want to plug the Rivian into a Tesla Level 2 destination charger (available at a lot of AirBNBs)
  • A circle cord brand 14-30p adapter that converts the long extension cord to 14-50. Used anytime you want to use the extension cord with the Rivian Mobile Charger
  • A 10-30 to 14-30 adapter that converts "4 prong to 3 prong" or the post-1998 4 prong dryer outlet standard to the pre-1998 3 prong dryer outlet standard in case we stay at an old home that has not updated their dryer outlet. Note the weird wire with the single prong on it. It gets plugged into a ground, you can plug it into any ground (like the third hole on a 110 outlet)
  • A jumper cable bag that holds the extension cord and 14-30 adapters with zip closure.
Back in the days when Tesla chargers were scarce I found a 6-15 adapter useful.
Most motel a/c units use these 240v 15a circuits.

Sponsored

caiudalmau

First Name
Carles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S 2023

3.JPG

The kit (opened up):

1000013216.png

The kit packed up:
1000013217.png

The components:
I have a similar setup, but I carry a 50Amp extension instead of the 30Amp one and TT-30P adapter. Probably heavier and bulkier than yours.
Here is my list:
Original R1S charger
Tesla to J1772 adapter (obvious for places with Tesla destination chargers)
25ft - 50Amp Nema 14-50 extension
Adapter 14-30 to 14-50 (Covers some RV and new Dryer plugs)
Adapter TT-30P to 14-50 (Covers old driers and some RV camps)
25ft - 15Amp 12AWG extension cord just in case regular outlet is the only option.

Rivian R1T R1S My Airbnb charging kit 423147582_1103210687672400_998802865337295749_n

Rivian R1T R1S My Airbnb charging kit 423221466_7112253912190653_3571449834685289535_n

Rivian R1T R1S My Airbnb charging kit 423454947_1429380271039841_5097307964787256274_n

Rivian R1T R1S My Airbnb charging kit 423455052_419873903789137_2340790399844087421_n

Rivian R1T R1S My Airbnb charging kit 423472272_936781614483034_8008445174719579826_n

Semibruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Thanks for this! When we finally get Tesla adapters, would we no longer need this Level 2 adapter? From the pictures on PlugShare (plug filter option), the Tesla Fast plug and regular plug look the same. Also seems like NACS is NACS.

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Thanks for this! When we finally get Tesla adapters, would we no longer need this Level 2 adapter? From the pictures on PlugShare (plug filter option), the Tesla Fast plug and regular plug look the same. Also seems like NACS is NACS.
No. The adapters for the superchargers are different than those for level 2 charging (the most obvious difference being that the supercharger adapter will connect to the DC charger pins on the Rivian)

You won't be able to use one on the other.

Rickmc

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Vacation Rentals
I have an R1S and I am also a VRBO/Airbnb owner. We installed a Tesla Universal Wall connector at our house and set it up for use by our renters during off peak hours. It’s a choice we’ve made to make the house convenient for EV drivers.

That said, the idea of someone tapping into our dryer outlet and rigging extension cords and adapters to charge their EV without our permission would really, really piss me off.

FWIW I’d suggest that folks proceed with caution in charging at homes you don’t own without the owner’s permission. Maybe the 110v outlet is fine but that’s hardly worth it.
I'm with you, I have AirBnbs and in my rental agreement I have that they need to obtain prior permission from me before attempting to charge EVs. You really don't want to risk your entire home or melted wiring based on the EV owner making sure they know how to limit the draw to 80% of the breaker and are willing to do so. That's a no win risk on the part of the owner. Not to mention you will have to leave a door or window cracked somewhere to get the line from a dryer outlet to the EV.

To the original author, filling your EV's battery with electricity that the owner pays for and taking it home with you is not part of the rental. If the home has propane lines to the grill, is it ok to bring 30 propane tanks with you and fill them for you to take home and use? If the house has gasoline stored for whatever use the owner wants, snowmobiles, generators etc, can you take that gas without permission and fill your ICE vehicles? Come on!

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

To the original author, filling your EV's battery with electricity that the owner pays for and taking it home with you is not part of the rental. If the home has propane lines to the grill, is it ok to bring 30 propane tanks with you and fill them for you to take home and use? If the house has gasoline stored for whatever use the owner wants, snowmobiles, generators etc, can you take that gas without permission and fill your ICE vehicles? Come on!
Yea, I can see that argument that any amenities are for consumption on site only. Personally, I wouldn't mind paying for the added electricity and if anyone had an issue with me charging I would gladly venmo or throw $20 on the counter for the charging.

To play devil's advocate though for a second if we are okay with consumption on site what do you do about the people whose idea of a quiet weekend away is running a wagon full of Bitcoin miners in the home and sucking down a ton of electricity or taking that 10 hour long shower? Like so many other things you can always find the edge cases. When we visit these homes we're not looking to get cheap electricity for our vehicle. We just want to make sure we have enough to do all the activities in the area and then be able to get home or to a fast charger.

There are a lot of chargers out there for the home that allow tracking of charging by pin/user and it seems that host tools and other Airbnb services will track/bill charging. I think that just loading an estimate worse case charging cost into the overhead the the property is probably and easier and more marketing friendly way to do it though, but I understand if you are in CA or another area where electricity is really expensive it could be a big expense to the homeowner.

I think bottom line, all short term rentals should be required to state a policy on EV charging and I think installing EV chargers that are free to use or that renters pay for should be encouraged as much as possible.

Last edited:

Rickmc

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Vacation Rentals
Yea, I can see that argument that any amenities are for consumption on site only. Personally, I wouldn't mind paying for the added electricity and if anyone had an issue with me charging I would gladly venmo or throw $20 on the counter for the charging.

To play devil's advocate though for a second if we are okay with consumption on site what do you do about the people whose idea of a quiet weekend away is running a wagon full of Bitcoin miners in the home and sucking down a ton of electricity or taking that 10 hour long shower? Like so many other things you can always find the edge cases. When we visit these homes we're not looking to get cheap electricity for our vehicle. We just want to make sure we have enough to do all the activities in the area and then be able to get home or to a fast charger.

There are a lot of chargers out there for the home that allow tracking of charging by pin/user and it seems that host tools and other Airbnb services will track/bill charging. I think that just loading an estimate worse case charging cost into the overhead the the property is probably and easier and more marketing friendly way to do it though, but I understand if you are in CA or another area where electricity is really expensive it could be a big expense to the homeowner.

I think bottom line, all short term rentals should be required to state a policy on EV charging and I think installing EV chargers that are free to use or that renters pay for should be encouraged as much as possible.
Being a Rivian owner myself, I do wish there were convenient charging opportunities everywhere I go but the key here is Permission. You owe it to the owner to ask. Assuming you can just bring the tools to enable yourself to take electricity home with you in your battery or to use it for day trips during your stay is entitled and honestly theft.

Taking an hour long shower or running bit mining equipment while you are there is not the same extracting a consumable product from the home and taking it with you. If they supplied toilet paper, do you clean them out and take it home to use? My analogy of propane and gasoline are spot on in relevance more so than long showers or running the A/C too cold etc.

As long as you ask, all is good. It's when you assume you are entitled to take and you bring your burglar toolkit to enable the taking does it become wrongdoing.

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

3.JPG

The kit (opened up):

1000013216.png

The kit packed up:
1000013217.png

The components:
This community is simply unbelievable. Thanks for not only solving the problem, but sharing the solution so we don't have to recreate it on our own. Bottom line, you're appreciated!

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

Thanks for this list. Very helpful - that Tesla adapter is especially useful these days. That thing saved my ass so many times already.
Just ordered two. My wife picks up her R1S a week from tomorrow.
Sponsored