Sponsored

Mounting a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

tiltedandsaltyaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Went with @kylealden's setup. I don't love this placement, but IMO it's the best spot given the constraints of the dash. I didn't want it sitting high in the center of the dash and didn't want it mounted so low it was behind the steering wheel. I also wanted it to be at eye level. Visibility is great here, though I wish it sat a smidge lower. I couldn't get the base to adhere perfectly (the edges are lifting a bit), but it seems secure so far. I also just ran the cable over the steering column. It's not pretty, but I didn't want to fuss with the cable clips just yet.

IMG_4031.jpeg
IMG_4032.jpeg
IMG_4034.jpeg
IMG_4033.jpeg
Love the peak design stuff, they need that wireless charger mount on a 1" ball
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management

KidThunder

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Entertainment
Clubs

I wish I could find a version of something like this but with the ability to charge as well:

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I think I found a pretty simple MagSafe solution that works really well with Forest Edge.

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_2538.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_2537.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_2535.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_2536.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_0061

Search Amazon for:

balolo wood Mag Puck Holder

and get two Apple OEM MagSafe chargers and plug them into the USB-C ports in the center console.

The puck holder is reasonably similar to the Forest Edge wood grain. The black adhesive on the front holds the Apple OEM MagSafe charger in place and the black adhesive on the back prevents slipping on the useless Rivian mat. It's marketed as "nano-suction technology" that "sticks to any flat surface but is easily removable."

One small issue I noticed is that if you pull the phone up from the puck, the whole assembly will lift off the mat, so to separate the phone from the puck, I use a finger to push off slightly from the balolo puck underneath the phone and all stays in place. However, there is not enough room to do that with two iPhone 13 Pros on the mat.

I think I can live with it.

I also unplugged the OEM Qi charging mat so as not to create extra heat. I actually found my phone charges reasonably well on the OEM Qi mat without the Rivian rubber pad, which is way too thick. The phone would also fly around when driving on the OEM Qi mat. Rivian should at least make a thinner rubber mat.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Exactly what I needed to elevate my current magsafe mount. I did not realize that the 20 mm socket would be be compatible with a 17 mm ball. Thanks!
Fwiw, i bought one of the tackform 20mm arms based on the recommendations here and itā€™s is a fail. Will not even vaguely tighten on a 17mm ball. Havenā€™t yet tried to wrap the ball in something to take up the gap, perhaps a sheet of rubber/rubber band.

Sponsored

jewwithguitar

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Fwiw, i bought one of the tackform 20mm arms based on the recommendations here and itā€™s is a fail. Will not even vaguely tighten on a 17mm ball. Havenā€™t yet tried to wrap the ball in something to take up the gap, perhaps a sheet of rubber/rubber band.
Iā€™m sorry to hear that. It worked for me but that was probably 3 years ago so maybe something has changed with the design. When I ordered that setup my backup plan if it wouldnā€™t tighten was to wrap the ball in some friction tape or to dip the ball in plastidip until it was big enough. I will delete that post recommending it since it doesnā€™t seem to work the same way nowā€¦

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iā€™m sorry to hear that. It worked for me but that was probably 3 years ago so maybe something has changed with the design. When I ordered that setup my backup plan if it wouldnā€™t tighten was to wrap the ball in some friction tape or to dip the ball in plastidip until it was big enough. I will delete that post recommending it since it doesnā€™t seem to work the same way nowā€¦
I love the quality all-metal construction of the arm, I just need to see if it can be made to work even if it doesnā€™t out of the box.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I love the quality all-metal construction of the arm, I just need to see if it can be made to work even if it doesnā€™t out of the box.
I guess it also depends how much you see yourself pivoting the mount on that ball when deciding what you use to make it work. Please keep us posted if you can get it working!

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess it also depends how much you see yourself pivoting the mount on that ball when deciding what you use to make it work. Please keep us posted if you can get it working!
Since the steering wheel hides the phone with these mounts I need the arm fixed vertically. As is the 17mm ball rattles around inside the arm.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Since the steering wheel hides the phone with these mounts I need the arm fixed vertically. As is the 17mm ball rattles around inside the arm.
An alternative idea that just dawned on me and might be easier, would be to add some material to the insides of the arm where it clamps on the ball. Like a piece or couple pieces of weather stripping or 3M VHB tape?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Tried the extension as well and it didnā€™t work. Next option was this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08Y2CXKG5?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

The lower left side of my phoneā€™s screen is still obscured by the steering wheel, if only the swing arm was a bit longerā€¦

Going to see if this one made for Tesla works on the R1T:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09JV6W1TC?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
That second item isn't going to work as there isn't enough clearance on top of the screen to get it to install correctly. I've tried making something like that prior and it's basically a complete no-go as there isn't even 1MM of space there, and at that thickness it isn't structurally sound.

An alternative idea that just dawned on me and might be easier, would be to add some material to the insides of the arm where it clamps on the ball. Like a piece or couple pieces of weather stripping or 3M VHB tape?
Using some sort of tape is really less than ideal, unfortunately. I tried that in the past and I had to reprint something to 17.3MM because the tape just didn't work well enough.

I can potentially upscale my 17MM model to 20MM if wanted. If you have a 3D printer, that woul be the best.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That second item isn't going to work as there isn't enough clearance on top of the screen to get it to install correctly. I've tried making something like that prior and it's basically a complete no-go as there isn't even 1MM of space there, and at that thickness it isn't structurally sound.

Using some sort of tape is really less than ideal, unfortunately. I tried that in the past and I had to reprint something to 17.3MM because the tape just didn't work well enough.

I can potentially upscale my 17MM model to 20MM if wanted. If you have a 3D printer, that woul be the best.
I agree itā€™s less than ideal. I had recommended a Takform 20mm arm because I got it to tighten properly in my Tacoma with a 20mm vent mount and a 17mm Amazon phone mount on the other end, but they werenā€™t able to replicate that.

I donā€™t have my Rivian yet so Iā€™m just brainstorming and I would never be that guy who tells you what changes to make in your products, especially if I canā€™t even put my hands on the parts in question. Iā€™m sure you already get plenty of feedback from everyone with their R1Ts in real time :cool:

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

Thank you @LLJJ for the idea! If you have a MagBak case, The MagBak Tesla mount works really well! I donā€™t think I will even need to use the adhesive as it is pretty rock solid once I fit it behind the screen.
I love MagBak because their magnets are crazy sting and the phone just sticks there with no concern of it falling.
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 87C70A27-6D61-4DB1-8527-24B672F42E20

tiltedandsaltyaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

did you recommend felt tape to stabilize the clip portion of the mount? Mines a bit wobbly and tips back and forth inside the groove
Sponsored