Sponsored

Mounting a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
FYI - there are about 4 of the 1" mounts and a bit over a dozen of the 17MM mount remaining. No solid ETA on when/if I'll do another batch.
Sponsored

tiltedandsaltyaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

No truck yet, s00n....

But bought a 1in mount from Riviparts and attached my medium ram mount to it with a magsafe charger head w/ 1in ball mount. Looks like it is going to give me enough height to clear the steering wheel.

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_8377

3D printed part looks to be well built, but ball part has the usual 3D printing issues with some missing fill of the ball on the top/bottoms where it tapers.

Might be easier to just make the mount with threads for the Ram Mount Diamond Ball Base: RAM-B-238U instead of printing a ball but it works for now.

If the magsafe charger doesn't hold the phone because magnets are not strong enough I'll just switch to the Peak Design 1in Ball Mount head instead.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Sponsored

jewwithguitar

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I got the ball mount from riviparts, which fits ok with a little sag, and this magsafe charger from amazon which works pretty well.
What size is the ball mount for your setup? Having trouble finding a 17 mm with an extenson arm to elevate it so that the screen is not obstructed by the steering wheel.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
The ball mount itself is here: https://riviparts.com/#phone - the STL is also available in the link in my signature should you have a 3d printer and want to print it yourself.

The ball is about 17.3mm overall. There is a bunch of slop in a lot of the 17MM based mounts available on Amazon. I'm not sure of the link in the one just posted - there are a few suggestions on the Riviparts page though.

The slight tilt is largely due to the installation need of the part It can't be perfect because PETG (that material it's printed in) doesn't deflect far enough for tighter tolerances. I debated on including a bit of felt, but decided against it because I don't think the tilt doesn't affect functionality and it's not noticeable in daily operation.

Sponsored

jewwithguitar

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I don’t have my Rivian yet, but I have used components from Takform to DIY a couple different mounts in the past. Their arms for 20mm ball/ socket designs do work fine for 17mm, you just have to tighten it more than you would for a 20mm ball. One could buy an arm from them and attach it to the Riviparts mount on one side and your chosen 17-20mm ball phone mount on the other end. Quality stuff.

https://www.tackform.com/collection...anual&filter.p.m.my_fields.component_type=Arm
Exactly what I needed to elevate my current magsafe mount. I did not realize that the 20 mm socket would be be compatible with a 17 mm ball. Thanks!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Exactly what I needed to elevate my current magsafe mount. I did not realize that the 20 mm socket would be be compatible with a 17 mm ball. Thanks!
I got it to work in my Tacoma for almost the exact same purpose as you are looking for. I used the Takform 3” arm to connect to a Hondo Garage vent mount (located behind and to the right of the steering wheel) and a cheap 17mm magsafe iphone mount (non charging).

My plan if it wouldn’t tighten on the 17mm ball was going to be to either wrap the ball with some friction tape or dip it in something (plastidip?) a few times until it was big enough to work. Luckily it just required a couple extra turns and it worked fine.

Last edited:

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
For those using the wedge method, is this stable and secure? Does it affect the dash pad negatively?

For those using VHB, any risk or fear of damaging the dash pad "vegan" leather?

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

cell phone mount? what about tablet mount! =P nice thing is it's non permanent (using velvro attached to a tablet stand). Haven't road tested it yet, but it seems pretty sturdy and definitely usable if just chilling and waiting for a charge.

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_9614

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_9615

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_9616

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Went with @kylealden's setup. I don't love this placement, but IMO it's the best spot given the constraints of the dash. I didn't want it sitting high in the center of the dash and didn't want it mounted so low it was behind the steering wheel. I also wanted it to be at eye level. Visibility is great here, though I wish it sat a smidge lower. I couldn't get the base to adhere perfectly (the edges are lifting a bit), but it seems secure so far. I also just ran the cable over the steering column. It's not pretty, but I didn't want to fuss with the cable clips just yet.

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_4031
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_4032
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_4034
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_4033
Sponsored