First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Interesting. He says that Lucid's battery tech allows for double the range with a smaller battery. Wonder where he's getting that?
He is misunderstanding why the Lucid Air has a higher range and a smaller battery pack. It isn't in the batteries, it is in the coefficient of drag.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
He is misunderstanding why the Lucid Air has a higher range and a smaller battery pack. It isn't in the batteries, it is in the coefficient of drag.
I do think that he's probably onto something at least with the motors. Lucid has an unbelievable weight to power ratio in their custom motors. Their motor weighs 163 lbs and puts out 670 hp (4.11 hp/lb) compared to the closest competitor Tesla Model S LR at 295 lbs and 430 hp (1.46 hp/lb). This motor weight savings could be equivalent to 500-1000 lbs in weight savings (assuming they could reduce some complexity in the drivetrain/suspension. But yes, the drag on the bigger vehicle is going to define the battery size more than anything. I also think he's misunderstanding that having 1/2 the number of motors doesn't mean you take 1/2 the battery to push you forward...

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Range anxiety is an odd beast, and different people have different takes.

Many of us that started with sub 100 mile EPA range rated EVs got at least somewhat used to running down to 10 miles (or less) of range remaining (~10%).
I know people whose first EV had 250+ and get nervous anywhere below 60 miles - even if they only drive 30 miles a day.

Soon after we got our first EV, my wife was on the way home and dropped below 10% SOC triggering a warning. She was 1.5 miles from home, car showed 9 miles remaining. She stopped to charge. She has since learned to trust the range remaining a least a bit more.
Our running joke when Bumble warns us at ~5miles on the GOM..."Ohhhh...busted! Looks like you're pushing it home!" LeafSpy clearly shows about 30% left and we're look at each other and giggle. Thi is typically less than 10 miles from home traveling at highway speeds. Not gonna lie first month was a huge learning curve, but almost two years in on a short-range EV...there's not many things I know the exact distance of inside a 25 mile radius....or how long I need to charge at a given location...or whether it's worth it to try to push it...or just take the Zussa the Prius...lol ;)

What's really going to bake my noodle is coming to terms with the concept of having more range than I've ever had with ~20% SOC on the R1T MaxPack. ? ?

Sponsored

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

Can't see the link to the video in the article, can you post direct link?
I don’t see it any longer either - was there earlier but I didn’t get a chance to watch.

OP
OP
jessefive

jessefive

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Can't see the link to the video in the article, can you post direct link?
Weird, I don't see it now either. Did they take it off? I was looking for a youtube link when I first posted, but never saw one there. Now I don't see it anywhere

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Anyone see where he says the R1S is way off? What did he know that I don't...
Yea just saw that - I wonder what exactly he means. Clearly they are not going out in September, but I'd be surprised if we did not see at least a handful of R1S deliveries by the end of the year. And in that sense, Nov/Dec is a long way away from September :D.

Sponsored

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Anyone see where he says the R1S is way off? What did he know that I don't...
I just saw that! Gonna have to follow up. ????

Rivian R1T R1S Mode and Range info from the MT video BB03FEBF-B222-48F9-8D97-BC005E814F0C

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Weird, I don't see it now either. Did they take it off? I was looking for a youtube link when I first posted, but never saw one there. Now I don't see it anywhere
I think they took two of them down for some reason. I definitely watched them on MT's website earlier, and they are not where I watched them.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I do think that he's probably onto something at least with the motors. Lucid has an unbelievable weight to power ratio in their custom motors. Their motor weighs 163 lbs and puts out 670 hp (4.11 hp/lb) compared to the closest competitor Tesla Model S LR at 295 lbs and 430 hp (1.46 hp/lb). This motor weight savings could be equivalent to 500-1000 lbs in weight savings (assuming they could reduce some complexity in the drivetrain/suspension. But yes, the drag on the bigger vehicle is going to define the battery size more than anything. I also think he's misunderstanding that having 1/2 the number of motors doesn't mean you take 1/2 the battery to push you forward...
Yeah, he's full of it. Let's assume at speed the vast majority of the energy is consumed in pushing through drag force.

Take Lucid's 517 miles and 115 kWh battery to get 4.5 miles/kWh. Scale that down by the approximate drag force induced by swapping in a truck for a very short sedan. We know the Air is ~ 76"x55.5" with a drag coefficient of 0.21. The R1T is what... 75" and 80" wide (roughly). Let's say a super slippery truck has a drag coefficient of 0.3. Scaling Lucid's 4.5 miles/kWh suddenly drops to about 2.2 miles/kWh for a truck. Push that to a 135 kWh pack and guess what. You have 300 miles of all electric range for a pickup. Obviously just a rough estimate, but it goes to show that Lucid and Tesla aren't running some miracle efficiency devices. Even with a likely unrealistically low drag coefficient of 0.25 the range would only be about 360 miles.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
These guys got 216. I think they were carrying a kitchen and going off road.

Rivian R1T R1S Mode and Range info from the MT video 1631323329842
Sponsored