First Name
Vu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, F150 Limited, Range Rover HSE
Occupation
Broker
Rivian mobile tech came by and repaired the infamous dash speaker grill rattle by putting some foam/pad on the snap connectors and tightened the metal tabs onto the frame. He mentioned that Rivian now put foam under the metal mesh in between the frame on recent builds. Before it was just the mesh on the plastic frame. What caught my attention are the 2 missing speakers on the passenger side vs drivers side. I guess it's more music focus for the driver or they are simply used for phone calls? Tech said that the speakers would be on the right on right side driven vehicles. My sound system is Rivian so not sure if the Meridian had it on both sides. All of the speakers were Rivian labeled made in Vietnam. To remove the dash grill, you have to pull the side pillars first then pop up the center. Everything was held by compression tabs. Vin 21xxx.

Rivian R1T R1S Mobile tech fixed dash speaker grill rattle -- details & photos IMG_2206
Rivian R1T R1S Mobile tech fixed dash speaker grill rattle -- details & photos IMG_2210
Rivian R1T R1S Mobile tech fixed dash speaker grill rattle -- details & photos IMG_2204
Rivian R1T R1S Mobile tech fixed dash speaker grill rattle -- details & photos IMG_2202

Rivian R1T R1S Mobile tech fixed dash speaker grill rattle -- details & photos IMG_2214
Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
My dashboard does the same. Thx for the pics. I just created a service ticket and attached this post to it :).

My rear doors rattle as well on rough roads and loud music. Anyone post out there on what service techs did to fix that? I'd like to attach link to my service ticket.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Great info, thanks! How “infamous” or widespread is this problem?

I have rattling that I’m 90% sure is the center speaker grill. I can push down on the grill and temporarily stop the rattle, but the grill seems to “pop back up” and begin rattling again almost as soon as I let go. The described fix seems like it would resolve how I understand my issue.

I’ve considered trying to wedge something between the grill and windshield as a temporary fix.

VIN: 239xx

booslim45

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My dashboard does the same. Thx for the pics. I just created a service ticket and attached this post to it :).

My rear doors rattle as well on rough roads and loud music. Anyone post out there on what service techs did to fix that? I'd like to attach link to my service ticket.
The loud music rattle I was getting came from the sub under the rear passenger side seat.

Sponsored

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I’m pretty sure those extra speakers are what are used to indicate when driver plus is activated/deactivated

BrianNakata

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Shelby GT350
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
What exactly do you mean by the tech "put foam on the snap connectors"? He wrapped some foam tape around the speaker connector bodies implying that they are vibrating against some of the supporting structure?

Thanks!

Brian

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I’ll have to give this a try. Interesting that they did this as mobile, service just told me this morning they send all NVH issues to a center (3 hours away for me). I’ve started just fixing my own rattles.

OP
OP
SolrPower

SolrPower

First Name
Vu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Broker
Great info, thanks! How “infamous” or widespread is this problem?

I have rattling that I’m 90% sure is the center speaker grill. I can push down on the grill and temporarily stop the rattle, but the grill seems to “pop back up” and begin rattling again almost as soon as I let go. The described fix seems like it would resolve how I understand my issue.

I’ve considered trying to wedge something between the grill and windshield as a temporary fix.

VIN: 239xx
That is exactly what i had. Put in a service request and they will do exactly what was done on mine. It’s a well known issue internally with Rivian.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SolrPower

SolrPower

First Name
Vu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Broker
What exactly do you mean by the tech "put foam on the snap connectors"? He wrapped some foam tape around the speaker connector bodies implying that they are vibrating against some of the supporting structure?

Thanks!

Brian
He put foam tape on various pins that snaps the frame into the dash. Basically creating more friction and a tighter fit. Nothing was done to the speakers.

OP
OP
SolrPower

SolrPower

First Name
Vu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Broker
Cool, thanks for the info. Did you happen to see how they removed the A-pillar panels? Where did they start from? Did they use standard panel remover tools?
Just regular trim tools. Started from the top, the middle has some sort of spring that you have to push in to loosen. Don’t stick anything too deep as the curtain airbag (I think) is in pillar.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Just regular trim tools. Started from the top, the middle has some sort of spring that you have to push in to loosen. Don’t stick anything too deep as the curtain airbag (I think) is in pillar.
Typically with other vehicles, any time you are doing anything around the airbags, it's recommended to disconnect the 12V battery. I'm assuming they didn't do that here?

OP
OP
SolrPower

SolrPower

First Name
Vu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Broker
No battery disconnect. Tech said he has done the work many times. Took about 15 min.
Sponsored