First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
To bait people into an argument, obviously.
I'm sorry it appears that way because my intention is not to bait or to inflame, it's to get people to think about what they are doing. I love that the world is adopting EV's, I just think EV enthusiasts should work together to ensure the adoption doesn't stall out. Oil companies would really love that and are trying to actively make it happen. I don't want them to succeed.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
I'm sorry it appears that way because my intention is not to bait or to inflame, it's to get people to think about what they are doing. I love that the world is adopting EV's, I just think EV enthusiasts should work together to ensure the adoption doesn't stall out. Oil companies would really love that and are trying to actively make it happen. I don't want them to succeed.
Bait not taken.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I don't think oil companies are in any danger. Petroleum isn't going anywhere and we need to generate a lot of electricity for these EV cars. Fixed stations are cleaner and more efficient than a bunch of little ice cars. Plastics, asphalt, jet fuel and ng don't yet have substitutes. I think the oil industry will pivot just fine.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I don't think oil companies are in any danger. Petroleum isn't going anywhere and we need to generate a lot of electricity for these EV cars. Fixed stations are cleaner and more efficient than a bunch of little ice cars. Plastics, asphalt, jet fuel and ng don't yet have substitutes. I think the oil industry will pivot just fine.
Hopefully not. I don’t mind them making products from oil but that’s a small market compared to burning oil. And they just take advantage of people when oil prices rise. Record profits and record bonuses for their executives. No love lost for them.

And for increased electricity use, the cheapest way to generate electricity now is solar. So we shouldn’t be building new gas power plants.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Hopefully not. I don’t mind them making products from oil but that’s a small market compared to burning oil. And they just take advantage of people when oil prices rise. Record profits and record bonuses for their executives. No love lost for them.

And for increased electricity use, the cheapest way to generate electricity now is solar. So we shouldn’t be building new gas power plants.
Yea im Not Loving the $7 gas in Cali right now.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Yea im Not Loving the $7 gas in Cali right now.
Ouch. I thought the $4.50 a gallon in Colorado was bad.

Guess we can look forward to record oil company profits next quarter. I’m happy to help the oil execs buy another mansion or yahat /s

Last edited:

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
It's not like oil companies will suddenly lose all business, but here's the problem:

For decades they have been a growth industry, which has fueled stock prices and dividend growth. All of a sudden, they are facing the prospect of sinking gasoline and diesel sales, they won't be a growth business anymore. They don't want that to happen any sooner than necessary. $12 is always better than $10 and valuations are vastly different for industries in decline.

As far as generating electricity for EVs, EV's are more efficient than internal combustion and only 6% of the nations grid electricity is generated by oil. Losing ICE vehicles is a huge loss for oil and gas interests, especially the refining portions of their businesses. With a surplus of refining capacity, competitive pressures will mount, and refineries will be underutilized, causing pressure on profit margins.

I never said oil companies would go bankrupt, as you point out, they have other side businesses (and they will have fuel sales for decades, even if they do drastically decline over time). But don't make the mistake of thinking they are not trying to slow down the move to EV's. For reasons of optics and legal reasons, they cannot do this openly, they have to do it subversively.

Sponsored