Sponsored

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

Here in California I see two active: Placerville and oddly enough Santa Cruz. I'm guessing these locations are one magic dock charger each.
Placerville is a good spot for any trips east of us into the lake tahoe area. Please excuse my ignorance but would I be able to just pull in into these and charge? what is needed? adapter? credit card? Tesla app?

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Placerville is a good spot for any trips east of us into the lake tahoe area. Please excuse my ignorance but would I be able to just pull in into these and charge? what is needed? adapter? credit card? Tesla app?
Tesla app to activate. Tap top-right for account and slide over until you see Charge Your Non Tesla.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
Hopefully it does spread like a pandemic. Need more.
The Tesla hate in this particular sub-forum is not nearly as strong as in many others. Tesla is inviting all EV's to share the multi-billion dollar network they created and all most people in the other forums can do is shit on Tesla. I'm shocked at how so many Rivian owners have so little class when it comes to being grateful.

And before someone says Tesla is just greedy for Rivian owners money, I would ask them to think rationally for just a moment. Supercharger revenue is is funded over 99% by Tesla drivers and amounts to less than 1% of total revenue. It is also very low margin revenue and is not even a drop in the bucket compared to how much the network costs to build and maintain. With over 70% of EVs in America being Tesla, they can't even hope that revenue from non-Tesla will ever be very substantial.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
I too am happy to have option of tesla supercharger network as available and reliable (as well as others over time). Apparently Elon’s target is to make quite a bit of profit but it doesn’t say when this will happen. https://www.benzinga.com/news/22/04...g-at-30-gross-margin-for-supercharger-network

I know Elon used to saythe network was only meant to break even before the substantial price increases a few years ago - no longer unfortunately. He also said the would all have solar panels so not the most reliable In my opinion

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
The lack of Tesla hate in this particular sub-forum is not nearly as strong as in many others. Tesla is inviting all EV's to share the multi-billion dollar network they created and all most people in the other forums can do is shit on Tesla. I'm shocked at how so many Rivian owners have so little class when it comes to being grateful.

And before someone says Tesla is just greedy for Rivian owners money, I would ask them to think rationally for just a moment. Supercharger revenue is is funded over 99% by Tesla drivers and amounts to less than 1% of total revenue. It is also very low margin revenue and is not even a drop in the bucket compared to how much the network costs to build and maintain. With over 70% of EVs in America being Tesla, they can't even hope that revenue from non-Tesla will ever be very substantial.
Why bring it up?

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
Why bring it up?
Because the disconnect between everything Tesla is doing to drive electrification forward, lowering the price of entry and increasing the scale of EVs, improving the reliability and convenience of keeping your EV charged up (whether or not you bought it from Tesla) vs. all the vitriol directed at Tesla is surprising to me.

It makes me think there are a lot of people easily swayed by the anti-EV propaganda that constantly attacks EVs and Tesla and Elon, in particular. I would think Rivian owners would be more knowledgeable about what is going on here and not fall for all the fake narratives.

I still can't figure out what issue people take with Elon buying Twitter. Yes, he overpaid due to his eagerness to own it, I'm sure no one here made that mistake with RIVN, right? I mean, who cares how much he paid? He's human, he made a mistake, and he admits he overpaid. But the platform is already better now that he swept the censorship away. I don't want to debate this; I just don't see why people are so offended over something that is already improving the world. I'm not saying he's perfect, I just see so much more good than bad, he's bending the world in a much more positive direction, and we need more people like him, not less. Yet all people can do is follow the fake narratives that he's a worthless clown, it makes no sense. No one said he was perfect.

The fact that Tesla charges Rivian owners the exact same amount as those whose car purchases paid to build out the Supercharger Network should make non-Tesla owners grateful, instead they bite the hand of the company doing the most to drive EV charging infrastructure forward and into the 21st century. I don't run around making fun of Rivian and RJ, taking cheap (and dumb) pot shots at them, every chance I get. It's immature behavior, so I'm surprised at how common it is in the Rivian community. It's not a good look and I don't understand it or why so many of you fall for the anti-Elon propaganda. How has he hurt you? He's doing the best he can. What have you done to make the world a better place? Why all the hate?

Do you think GM's Mary Barra, put in a similar situation owning the world's biggest and best fast DC charging network, would have opened it up to all competitors? Given up GM's biggest and most important competitive advantage? And not charged Tesla and Rivian vehicles a surcharge to pay for the cost of the network? Even going so far as to equipping the cables with two different plugs to accommodate the 25% of the EVs whose purchase price did not subsidize the buildout of the charging network? Yet Elon gets no thanks, instead people call it a "greedy" move. They say he wants your money. It's non-sensical. Elon's not perfect, but he's not stupid either. It was not a move driven by profit motive. Would Mary Barra have done the same thing?

Of course not, because Mary Barra is not a fan of electrification, she's being dragged into it by Elon's hard work.! Ford and GM would still be ignoring EV's if not for Tesla threatening their sales of combustion engines. Owners of other EV's should be thankful, not hateful!

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Because the disconnect between everything Tesla is doing to drive electrification forward, lowering the price of entry and increasing the scale of EVs, improving the reliability and convenience of keeping your EV charged up (whether or not you bought it from Tesla) vs. all the vitriol directed at Tesla is surprising to me.

It makes me think there are a lot of people easily swayed by the anti-EV propaganda that constantly attacks EVs and Tesla and Elon, in particular. I would think Rivian owners would be more knowledgeable about what is going on here and not fall for all the fake narratives.

I still can't figure out what issue people take with Elon buying Twitter. Yes, he overpaid due to his eagerness to own it, I'm sure no one here made that mistake with RIVN, right? I mean, who cares how much he paid? He's human, he made a mistake, and he admits he overpaid. But the platform is already better now that he swept the censorship away. I don't want to debate this; I just don't see why people are so offended over something that is already improving the world. I'm not saying he's perfect, I just see so much more good than bad, he's bending the world in a much more positive direction, and we need more people like him, not less. Yet all people can do is follow the fake narratives that he's a worthless clown, it makes no sense. No one said he was perfect.

The fact that Tesla charges Rivian owners the exact same amount as those whose car purchases paid to build out the Supercharger Network should make non-Tesla owners grateful, instead they bite the hand of the company doing the most to drive EV charging infrastructure forward and into the 21st century. I don't run around making fun of Rivian and RJ, taking cheap (and dumb) pot shots at them, every chance I get. It's immature behavior, so I'm surprised at how common it is in the Rivian community. It's not a good look and I don't understand it or why so many of you fall for the anti-Elon propaganda. How has he hurt you? He's doing the best he can. What have you done to make the world a better place? Why all the hate?

Do you think GM's Mary Barra, put in a similar situation owning the world's biggest and best fast DC charging network, would have opened it up to all competitors? Given up GM's biggest and most important competitive advantage? And not charged Tesla and Rivian vehicles a surcharge to pay for the cost of the network? Even going so far as to equipping the cables with two different plugs to accommodate the 25% of the EVs whose purchase price did not subsidize the buildout of the charging network? Yet Elon gets no thanks, instead people call it a "greedy" move. They say he wants your money. It's non-sensical. Elon's not perfect, but he's not stupid either. It was not a move driven by profit motive. Would Mary Barra have done the same thing?

Of course not, because Mary Barra is not a fan of electrification, she's being dragged into it by Elon's hard work.! Ford and GM would still be ignoring EV's if not for Tesla threatening their sales of combustion engines. Owners of other EV's should be thankful, not hateful!
I think most give credit to Elon for making real EVs and driving electrification forward. Where myself and quite a few others don’t like is the way he acts. He’s gone off the deep end in the last few years. It’s that simple.

Sponsored

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
I too am happy to have option of tesla supercharger network as available and reliable (as well as others over time). Apparently Elon’s target is to make quite a bit of profit but it doesn’t say when this will happen. https://www.benzinga.com/news/22/04...g-at-30-gross-margin-for-supercharger-network

I know Elon used to saythe network was only meant to break even before the substantial price increases a few years ago - no longer unfortunately. He also said the would all have solar panels so not the most reliable In my opinion
Yes, it's very pragmatic to count on 10% return on your assets in the long term. If he's lucky, that will cover a bit more than inflation. This is the LONG-TERM goal for returns on all Supercharger investments. I'm sure a mind as adept as Elon's, could figure out multiple ways to make at least double that return on investments in banking, oil refining, or atomic missile technology. The fact that he's willing to make such investments, with such low returns, shows where his priorities lie.

Rivian owners should be thanking him for opening up the network to vehicles that didn't subsidize the buildout, not trying to tear him down. He's a good and generous man, I'm just shocked at how many Rivian owners are the opposite of grateful.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
I think most give credit to Elon for making real EVs and driving electrification forward. Where myself and quite a few others don’t like is the way he acts. He’s gone off the deep end in the last few years. It’s that simple.
Only gullible people who bought into fake and manufactured narratives think he's gone off the deep end. He's still doing better for the world than 10 average people. Which begs the question, why try to cut him down?

Is it because his outsized accomplishments make average people look bad in comparison? Or is it really just being gullible to all the fake narratives. I sincerely don't understand it.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Only gullible people who bought into fake and manufactured narratives think he's gone off the deep end. He's still doing better for the world than 10 average people. Which begs the question, why try to cut him down?

Is it because his outsized accomplishments make average people look bad in comparison? Or is it really just being gullible to all the fake narratives. I sincerely don't understand it.
Ah so your story is ‘fake news’. Got it. lol

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
Ah so your story is ‘fake news’. Got it. lol
Yes, fake and misleading news about Tesla and Elon are common. If you think the media is balanced and fair when reporting on anything related to Tesla and Elon, I don't know what to say. If you can't see it, then there is a real disconnect with reality. You don't have to be super intelligent to see how biased the reporting is and how many fake narratives are propagated online (by non-mainstream media sources). It's a daily occurrence. I'm surprised some people can't see it.
Sponsored