ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Yes Load Index is 126 (3748lbs), Load Range E, Speed rating Q. (Gotta keep it below 100mph for extended periods 😂). $426…not cheap but there’s a lot of meat here.
Any chance you could test your setup at 60-65 mph for ~15 minutes (flat - no headwind)? Would be awesome to get info on 67# tire...
Here's info needed:

User: opnwide0.00 MPKTire Size:275/65R20 (126)
Pressure:00 psiBrand/ModelMickey Thompson Baja Boss (67#)
Batt. TempunkTire Mileage (Depth)unk (unk)
Outside Temp.unkave. Speedxx
AC/Air Temp70 FMiles Traveled000
Fan Speed2kwh used00
ModeAll PurposeBurritos (lbs), xtra cargounk
HeightStandardDate: March 2024 Notes:R1S QM, Flat, no wind, preconditioned
Sponsored

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
...but I live in Colorado, and I play in the Rockies in the summer.

I just had my one-year anniversary with my R1S with over 16,000 miles. I had the OEM 20" Pirelli's and purposely did not rotate them, as I didn't really care for them and wanted to kill them faster. I never use conserve, and my fronts had 3/32-4/32 left. Rears had more. I could have pulled out a few thousand more miles for sure had I rotated them, but I wanted some new kicks.

Yes, I know, I know, these are 67lb LT's! Will I take a range hit? Yep. Do I care? Not much. I'm not a "range-o-phobe" and for my use case, I primarily hit the rockies 9-10 months of the year for some fly fishing CO's freestones and tailwaters. And once the high country snow melts, some off-road trails for sure. I use my S similar to @BrentInCO in the summer. I've found CO's charging infrastructure ok for my needs, and it will only improve, so the range hit doesn't bug me. My snowboarding days are largely behind me, but I think these tires will tackle an I-70 winter fine. They are 3PMS for what that's worth. Certainly, if I were back in my ski resort prime, I'd opt for some Blizzaks, as there is no comparison on ice. I'm just hoping for some snow improvement over the Pirelli's. I don't have any use case for driving in the middle of Kansas in the winter against a headwind in the middle of a charging desert in an EV, let alone an ICE--these may not be the tire for @zefram47 .

The treads are asymmetrical, and most online reviewers commented they were surprised at how quiet they are considering how aggressive the tread is, and the thinking is that the varied block spacing may cut out noise some. I have to agree-I don't notice any louder drone than the OEM's. (I crank tunes anyway). The side-biters are quite aggressive and should help with rock abrasion/traction, and being LT, should be more puncture resistant. I'm happy with so far and think they look pretty bad-ass.

Huge shout-out to @Discount Tire in Westminster, CO for an excellent install. They had their own jackpucks, but they liked my magnetic ones from jackpucks.com so they used those. Absolutely no scratches on the black wheels, they are balanced perfectly, (no shimmy at all above 80mph+), and they used black tape weights to match the wheels. Diego and Francis at this location rocked! The whole team had a great time....

IMG_7612.jpg

IMG_7609.jpg

IMG_7613.jpg

IMG_7614.jpg

IMG_7617.jpg

IMG_7619.jpg

IMG_7620.jpg

IMG_7622.jpg

IMG_7623.jpg

IMG_7624.jpg

IMG_7626.jpg

IMG_7629.jpg

IMG_7633.jpg

IMG_7634.jpg

IMG_7638.jpg

IMG_7639.jpg

IMG_7642.jpg

I'll update this thread as I have more kwh data and experience with them.

Cheers, opnwide
Hilarious 😂, love dolls and tires 😎👍🏼👍🏼

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Any chance you could test your setup at 60-65 mph for ~15 minutes (flat - no headwind)? Would be awesome to get info on 67# tire...
Here's info needed:

User: opnwide0.00 MPKTire Size:275/65R20 (126)
Pressure:00 psiBrand/ModelMickey Thompson Baja Boss (67#)
Batt. TempunkTire Mileage (Depth)unk (unk)
Outside Temp.unkave. Speedxx
AC/Air Temp70 FMiles Traveled000
Fan Speed2kwh used00
ModeAll PurposeBurritos (lbs), xtra cargounk
HeightStandardDate: March 2024 Notes:R1S QM, Flat, no wind, preconditioned
You may have iPyle Donner from "Introspective Reviews" confused with another YouTuber that does lengthy videos on range. LOL!! --Tall ask, especially finding a non-windy flat area here in the Denver-metro area, but I'll give it a shot in coming weeks.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

You may have iPyle Donner from "Introspective Reviews" confused with another YouTuber that does lengthy videos on range. LOL!! --Tall ask, especially finding a non-windy flat area here in the Denver-metro area, but I'll give it a shot in coming weeks.
Fair enough, Denver to Watkins might work…maybe average of there and back if you keep it right about 65…or Reunion to Commerce (there and back)…

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
CODogman,
Tell me more of the 'for my 7500 mile check up' please. My R1S was purchased and picked up from Topsfield Motors in MA with 400 miles on it. Excellent 'second hand' vehicle but absolutely no Rivian Guide support. We drove home to Vail as total Newbies to the EV adventure and learned by doing. No acknowledgement from Rivian I was new owner even with title in hand, and support from Rivian was the Royal Finger. Long story there for another day. It took over 7 weeks before my Rivian app showed my VIN.

To the tire story...

On the ride back from Topsfield, we stopped in New York and Chicago. Anytime the streets were the slightest bit wet, I easily broke the tires loose, even sliding through an intersection turn under 10 MPH. My Bride did not want to hit I70 from Denver to Vail with silly slippery Pirelli's so after searching high and low for the Blizzak DM-V2 in 275/50R22 with zero hits (in part because it was 01Dec23 and everyone who needed winter tires got them plus the 22" wheel limited the selection even more). A Firestone shop on 50th & L street in Omaha, found a set of 4 Toyo Open Country RT. Big Shoutout to Shawn and his crew. He found the tires, I picked them up from the warehouse and his crew jumped above and beyond to install them as I did not now about the 'pucks' required for the tire swap. No spare and no jack. Anyway, we got it done and WOW - Great tires!! Now at 8350 miles, almost 3 months to the date, I would recommend the Open County to anyone in the high country. Smooth, very acceptable noise and snow grip that makes my Bride feel safe.

So... What do I do for the 7500 mile checkup?? At a minimum, I am 100 miles and a charge from the Steel Street Service Center. Basically a full day or overnight adventure.
Wow, that is quite the adventure in a brand new EV! Good for you just figuring it out as you go - sometimes we overthink this stuff. FWIW we have heard many stories of folks who bought a used Rivian having trouble getting help in the beginning. It’s definitely an area where they need to improve drastically. After you get past that stage it seems to get much better.

7500 mile maintenance is pretty simple (link below). It is a “multipoint inspection” and tire rotation, and the only part you would pay for is the rotation ($60). Since you just got new tires you could probably skip that part and just have them check the other stuff, which might be nice since yours is used.

The good news is they can do all of it during a mobile service visit as long as you have a garage or covered area large enough for them to work in. I have a tiny condo garage so I had to go to them, but that was fine because they also helped me troubleshoot a front sensor error I was getting. I believe they will drive as far as Vail, but I’m not 100% sure on that.

https://rivian.com/support/article/what-is-the-maintenance-schedule-for-r1-vehicles

Sponsored

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
I see many folks mention psi in this post, so FWIW . . . during my last visit to the Denver Service Center, a tech mentioned that they adjust the psi upward due to the elevation here in the mile high . . . science says add 1 psi for every 2,500 feet of elevation above sea level, do so when the tires are cold, and use your own manual psi gauge, not the TPMS display in the vehicle / compressor display. May be common sense or common knowledge to many here, but a good reminder to share anyway. Thus, the service center said they fill the 20" AT Pirellis to 50 or 51 psi (48 psi recommended on the tire and sticker inside the driver door frame).

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
Wow, that is quite the adventure in a brand new EV! Good for you just figuring it out as you go - sometimes we overthink this stuff. FWIW we have heard many stories of folks who bought a used Rivian having trouble getting help in the beginning. It’s definitely an area where they need to improve drastically. After you get past that stage it seems to get much better.

7500 mile maintenance is pretty simple (link below). It is a “multipoint inspection” and tire rotation, and the only part you would pay for is the rotation ($60). Since you just got new tires you could probably skip that part and just have them check the other stuff, which might be nice since yours is used.

The good news is they can do all of it during a mobile service visit as long as you have a garage or covered area large enough for them to work in. I have a tiny condo garage so I had to go to them, but that was fine because they also helped me troubleshoot a front sensor error I was getting. I believe they will drive as far as Vail, but I’m not 100% sure on that.

https://rivian.com/support/article/what-is-the-maintenance-schedule-for-r1-vehicles
I just got a quote from the service center for the 7,500 mile service, without a tire rotation as Discount Tire does that for me, and it was free. I reminded them that I want the 22,500 mile service / inspection, and FYI that costs $240. I'll be able to report back next week with any details about that inspection and if they found anything. I have ~27,500 miles and requested this appointment over a month ago, when I saw they recommend this service on the Rivian website.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I just got a quote from the service center for the 7,500 mile service, without a tire rotation as Discount Tire does that for me, and it was free. I reminded them that I want the 22,500 mile service / inspection, and FYI that costs $340. I'll be able to report back next week with any details about that inspection and if they found anything. I have ~27,500 miles and requested this appointment over a month ago, when I saw they recommend this service on the Rivian website.
I guess it could be worse. Thanks for the heads up!

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Added bonus is carpool lane!

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

@opnwide this thread made my day! The bimberly and iPyle name tags are completely over the top but that is exactly why you sir are legendary!

Given the events of the last episode, I am relieved to see bimberly and iPyle are no worse for wear even if your old Pirelli's are!

Also, as is always a threat when bimberly and iPyle are around, I assume no glass was harmed and no technicians were bored to tears in the making of your Discount Tire tire exchange...

Well done, sir!

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Some serious AT tires! What's nice is when you get into tires engineered for full sized trucks, load rating completely becomes a non issue as they are hauling the big loads.

EdwardM2005

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
IT Guy

Quite the adventure and tons of in flight / OJT for sure. And Yes, a volcano full of no support and over 6 weeks waiting for my info getting connected to the VIN. A long story and it has made it to a Customer Advocate but no solid solution presented yet.

Thanks for the 7500 check details. My tires went on at 2k miles. I will check with Service Center for mobile service. When they rotates the tires, do they run a balance also?
Right now only issue after latest update is Alexa until working.

Thanks

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
The Baja Boss AT was my preferred tire on my taco, I'm looking to put them onto the rivian once the oem pirellis wear out on me.

Very curious to see efficiency numbers, although I'm also interested in your subjective experiences once you take them off pavement, into snow, dirt, mud, etc. They impressed the hell out of me on my tacoma in all terrains I subjected them to.

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
The Baja Boss AT was my preferred tire on my taco, I'm looking to put them onto the rivian once the oem pirellis wear out on me.

Very curious to see efficiency numbers, although I'm also interested in your subjective experiences once you take them off pavement, into snow, dirt, mud, etc. They impressed the hell out of me on my tacoma in all terrains I subjected them to.
Will do...stayed tuned, I'll update as I go! Glad you had a good experience with them previously. I watched lots of YT video reviews/comparisons on them as well as tire rack reviews which swayed me.

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Ok @ksurfier , you owe me a beer. I’ll let you pick the range stats off my video. @k3g you may be interested in this video as well. TLDW—first leg out 2.2kwh, return trip 1.85kwh. Details in video.

Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT highway range test
Sponsored