Michelin Defender LTX Platinum

Riviando

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s 2023 Canyon Red - ocean coast
I would like to find something like Michelin Cross climate 2 that could handle the weight requirements of R1s in a 20. I've been very happy with the all-weather performance on my smaller vehicle.
Yes, I am 99% pavement driver.
Has anyone tried these:
Michelin - Agilis CrossClimate
They are in stock at costco LT275/65R20/E
Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
You are
I must be missing something here. Continental's website says 56.8lbs. Are you looking at the non LT version? If so, you can't compare it to the LTX platinum which is an LT tire

1700078839112.png
100% correct, I was not comparing the LT version. For the 22s Conti doesn’t even make an LT version in that size for my truck so wasn’t even on my radar.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I'm really looking forward to reviews on the tire on tire rack and from write ups. They look really cool with the AT edge, love the warranty, If they are as quiet and as good in snow/wet/other conditions as the defenders I'm probably sold on a set next Spring/Summer

OP
OP

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
Someone posted a picture of these mounted on the Black Rhino rims. The look good - nice AT looking sidewall.

**NOT MY PICTURE**
Rivian R1T R1S Michelin Defender LTX Platinum IMG_0332

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Someone posted a picture of these mounted on the Black Rhino rims. The look good - nice AT looking sidewall.

**NOT MY PICTURE**
IMG_0332.jpeg

Curious on efficiency with those tires

Sponsored

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Curious on efficiency with those tires
Less than or right about 2 mi/kwh, usable range drops to ~225 miles…
The 20” OEM tire is ideal, beefy enough for most people, solid range, and long lasting ~30k miles…

Mikers

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Landrover Discovery, 1974 Volkswagen Thing
I must be missing something here. Continental's website says 56.8lbs. Are you looking at the non LT version? If so, you can't compare it to the LTX platinum which is an LT tire

1700078839112.png
I am running these tires. Happy so far. The Scorpions got really loud at about 18K miles. These are quiet, and I suspect will last longer.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Less than or right about 2 mi/kwh, usable range drops to ~225 miles…
The 20” OEM tire is ideal, beefy enough for most people, solid range, and long lasting ~30k miles…
2mi/kWh equals rated range so no drop if that's true. I am averaging that on the 20" AT over 25k miles. Where did you find that data for the new Michelin?

Willyspu

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS1
Occupation
Farmer
Clubs

Just a point of reference. Many of you have said that you want a tire that will last. The number you want to compare is usually found in the UTQG spec. The Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards will show the hardness of the rubber or wear range rating (first 3 digit number) and then the traction rating (usually 2-3 letters).

For example:
A racing or summer tire will have a very low wear rating 100-300 and high traction AAA.
A good quality Light Truck All Weather tire will have a rating like 500-800 AA.

The wear rating means the rubber in the tire is relatively harder or softer than other tires in its class. Generally, a harder tire (higher wear number) will have less traction but last longer unless it has a aggressive tread.

Tires with the same name but different sizes can have different rubber compounds which directly result in wear and traction, that is why consumer reviews can vary depending on their vehicles and tire size.

***So, when shopping for tires make sure you understand the UTQA ( Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards) rating from the manufacturer.

Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

So still no first hand feedback on tire?
There really isn't anything out there for reviews on Rivian or any other vehicles. No tire rack, discount tire, youtube, reddit, nothing. You think Michelin would have given some internet influences some for marketing purposes.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Just a point of reference. Many of you have said that you want a tire that will last. The number you want to compare is usually found in the UTQG spec. The Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards will show the hardness of the rubber or wear range rating (first 3 digit number) and then the traction rating (usually 2-3 letters).

For example:
A racing or summer tire will have a very low wear rating 100-300 and high traction AAA.
A good quality Light Truck All Weather tire will have a rating like 500-800 AA.

The wear rating means the rubber in the tire is relatively harder or softer than other tires in its class. Generally, a harder tire (higher wear number) will have less traction but last longer unless it has a aggressive tread.

Tires with the same name but different sizes can have different rubber compounds which directly result in wear and traction, that is why consumer reviews can vary depending on their vehicles and tire size.

***So, when shopping for tires make sure you understand the UTQA ( Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards) rating from the manufacturer.
good info, just add that 800+ UTQG will likely result in 40-50k miles but ride quality will likely suffer. Lots of tradeoffs for a super large EV. Will also add that there’s likely a very good reason Rivian went with the 20” OEM, you might be able to squeeze another 10-15% range from the 275/60R20 and save some money, but tire will likely not handle the load as well. I think ideal tire weight is 45# plus/minus 5 pounds. Any tires over 50# should be avoided.

NCSUguys

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales Textiles
I had a set of the Defender Platinums installed today. The original Pirelli’s had just over 28k miles on them and still measured about 8/32 of tread left on all tires. But the noise and vibration were terrible, particularly after the 15k mile mark. The Pirelli’s developed a high frequency vibration that could be felt in the steering wheel and gas pedal.
The side view of the new Platinums is very similar to the Pirelli, but the tread pattern is very different (comparison pics attached). The improvement (reduction) in road noise is incredible ! The truck is virtually silent now. The Pirelli’s were not this quiet even when new. Also, the ride quality is just as good, and perhaps slightly better. I don’t have enough miles on the Platinums yet to see if there’s a range impact but will report back next week after a road trip. So far I am very impressed and pleased with the new Michelins.
Costco had these on sale earlier this month, so the total out the door price was $1712. If you use Costco you will need to bring your own lifting pucks.
Rivian R1T R1S Michelin Defender LTX Platinum IMG_3345
Rivian R1T R1S Michelin Defender LTX Platinum IMG_3352

AuburnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I had a set of the Defender Platinums installed today. The original Pirelli’s had just over 28k miles on them and still measured about 8/32 of tread left on all tires. But the noise and vibration were terrible, particularly after the 15k mile mark. The Pirelli’s developed a high frequency vibration that could be felt in the steering wheel and gas pedal.
The side view of the new Platinums is very similar to the Pirelli, but the tread pattern is very different (comparison pics attached). The improvement (reduction) in road noise is incredible ! The truck is virtually silent now. The Pirelli’s were not this quiet even when new. Also, the ride quality is just as good, and perhaps slightly better. I don’t have enough miles on the Platinums yet to see if there’s a range impact but will report back next week after a road trip. So far I am very impressed and pleased with the new Michelins.
Costco had these on sale earlier this month, so the total out the door price was $1712. If you use Costco you will need to bring your own lifting pucks.
IMG_3345.jpeg
IMG_3352.jpeg
That's a great looking tire. Looks like an AT sidewall. Hopefully there's a noticeable range increase. Eager to hear your results. I've got a set of Rivian AT's on the way, but considering swapping the Pirelli's off with the Defender Platinums right out of the gate. I wish they would just sell me the AT wheels, but they would only sell the wheel/tire package.
Sponsored