Sponsored

Max charging speed

jsro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Is anyone else concerned that we don't know the maximum charging speed of any of the Rivian vehicles? I've seen the videos that say either 120 or 140 miles in 20 minutes, but NOT ONE of the reviewers or current owners have posted any information about the DC fast charging rate or curve. Before investing or buying, I'd really like to know if Rivian's DC fast charging curve is competitive with Tesla (high max rate, pretty good overall range/min) or Audi (great sustained high rate until 80% SOC). Given the lack of information, I'm wondering if Rivian has a problem with slow DC "fast" charging or a quickly declining charge rate? Otherwise, why wouldn't they release the statistics? Consider the highway roadside charging time of the max pack - many people might be turned off with a 1.5 hour stop to reach 80%. I think max charging speed is incredibly important - I'd take a car with 200 miles of range that could recharge to 80% in 10 minutes over a car with 400 miles of range that took 1-1.5 hours to reach 80%. Does anyone have any data on this? Can an owner go to an EA charging station and tell us the 10%-80% charge time? Thanks - I want to love my preorder (best looking EVs ever made IMHO), and I'd like to buy stock, but given their new and untested cooling plate system combined with the lack of information, I'm concerned this car will be a road trip dud.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jsro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks. I’ve seen that. If if could really maintain 180kw until 80% that would be great (like Audi). But if that was true, then why have zero other owners posted about this? And why is Rivian silent about what would be a major selling point? Free the data….PLEASE!!!
Nobody else has seen that. So far none of the owners have even reported an equivalent 140/20. I just think they're being conservative with it and would be peak is between 200 and 220 kW due to architecture limits, and so the question (as you noted) is how flat they can make the curve.

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

Currently, every owner is also an employee and probably under some NDA until at least after the IPO.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Currently, every owner is also an employee and probably under some NDA until at least after the IPO.
Several have shared what they're seeing. The IPO does pose an interesting question as to what they can legally share, but theye sharing info.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Very important concern of mine to which Rivian has yet to respond. I’ve asked a few of the employees on IG to share some pictures of actual charging and zero response. I guess it’s so good, Rivian is keeping it a secret ?

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Very important concern of mine to which Rivian has yet to respond. I’ve asked a few of the employees on IG to share some pictures of actual charging and zero response. I guess it’s so good, Rivian is keeping it a secret ?
They were also quiet about driving impressions until reviews came out and everyone liked them. I think being quiet is what they like to do, but too bad for them since they'll no longer be a private company.
However, I am not expecting any amazing numbers from their charging curves. It's still a 400V system with a big battery and a company with a lot of miles in their battery warranty. I'm sure they'll want to baby that system specially in the beginning.

OP
OP

jsro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Several have shared what they're seeing. The IPO does pose an interesting question as to what they can legally share, but theye sharing info.
Can you point us to where they have shared this info? I can’t find it. Thanks.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Can you point us to where they have shared this info? I can’t find it. Thanks.
Just a couple that you may find the comments and info on the screens interesting. don't get too wound up though, some obviously hit a bad EA station, and on at least one I think recall the person was at a 5k0w charger. Really my point is the new owners are nice engaging people who are sharing info about their trucks as they find put about them too.

I did notice someone commented they witnessed 180kw on a truck up to around 70%ish.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks SeaGeo for compiling this list. I really Appreciate that :)

Looks like we need to wait for more data points, but it doesn't seem the charging will be very fast.
I think it will be reasonably fast, but it seems that people are getting inconsistent speeds at the moment.

If it holds 180+kW to 70 or 80%, we should be pretty happy.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
I think it will be reasonably fast, but it seems that people are getting inconsistent speeds at the moment.

If it holds 180+kW to 70 or 80%, we should be pretty happy.
My personal definition of fast would be anything bellow 30 minutes from 10-80%. If it could hold 180kW to 80% then I believe that would be pretty close to that.

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

Very possible they can post pictures, show their dogs in the gear tunnel, but be under an NDA regarding software or charging.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Very possible they can post pictures, show their dogs in the gear tunnel, but be under an NDA regarding software or charging.
They've shown both.
Sponsored