Matte PPF / Stealth PPF Database

larrydallas

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus R350, Rivian R1S
A vehicle with full PPF can go through any wash. The paint will never touch the brushes so you won’t get swirl marks. I think the PPF can withstand an automatic wash. But if you have ceramic on top of the PPF, use only the bare basic wash. You don’t want crappy auto car wash “wax” layering on top of a professionally applied expensive ceramic coat.

RE: 2, you’re absolutely right. Kind of defeats the purpose to put a glossy ceramic over a matte PPF. There are, however, some products for such a situation:

https://www.drbeasleys.com/matte-film-coating-kit.html

RE: edge wrapping, people have strong feelings about that. IMO - most people won’t notice and the XPel deal is reasonable value. However, dust and road debris can affect those edges and if it’s in the budget and it if you plan keeping the car a while, the wrapped edge option is a higher quality seamless look. I’d use the XPel deal as a negotiating tactic with a local shop and try to get a better price for wrapped edges full wrap.
I like your answer to #3, as I do plan to keep the vehicle for a while (last vehicle is 15y old).

As for #2, it sounds like I need to try to make sure the shop I use is using a matte/satin ceramic like the one you linked. Good to know they exist, and I’m hoping the installers do as well (I’m sure they must).

Finally, for #1, I’m surprised, but heartened you’d condone using almost any car wash. It almost seemed like a bummer if I put extra “protection” on my vehicle, but couldn’t treat it like a regular car!
Sponsored

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
Here’s Midnight. I’m putting the Xpel to the test right now…the truck is completely bug covered and been highway hammered from 1300 miles of road trip. We’ll see how it looks when I get home and clean it up.

Rivian R1T R1S Matte PPF / Stealth PPF Database 11038CBA-088F-4E88-913E-15CC58A79B3F

Rivian R1T R1S Matte PPF / Stealth PPF Database 8A149C68-F5F8-4C7B-AC65-F8288C0B6802

Rivian R1T R1S Matte PPF / Stealth PPF Database 68D5819F-13D5-4622-8118-79E93549D7D7

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I like your answer to #3, as I do plan to keep the vehicle for a while (last vehicle is 15y old).

As for #2, it sounds like I need to try to make sure the shop I use is using a matte/satin ceramic like the one you linked. Good to know they exist, and I’m hoping the installers do as well (I’m sure they must).

Finally, for #1, I’m surprised, but heartened you’d condone using almost any car wash. It almost seemed like a bummer if I put extra “protection” on my vehicle, but couldn’t treat it like a regular car!
I’ve used Adams regular Graphene ceramic as well on 2 stealth vehicles and noticed no difference in gloss appearance of stealth. Their newest advanced states it is glossy so would simply check into whatever product you decide to use. Amazing how well water jumps off ppf coated. Even better than regular paint.

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'86 911 Coupe, '23 R1T LE
Occupation
I work for a Tire Company
Clubs

Wrapped launch green - as I'm showing off on other threads :p

Rivian R1T R1S Matte PPF / Stealth PPF Database tempImageljLpNK