Sponsored

Manual tonneau: something doesn't stack up here ...

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
I don’t have any firsthand experience with the OEM cover, but I’ll do my best here.

No, there’s no mechanism to lock in a position along the rails. Our tonneau is designed to be as simple as possible, which could be a double edged sword depending how you look at it. There's nothing to break, but it doesn't have that feature. In the year since I've made my first tonneau, I've needed to drive with a panel or two out twice. Those two time I just wedged a small piece of cardboard or plastic under the cover in the rail and it stayed put with no issue. Not the most glamorous solution, but it works. As long as the tailgate is closed, you can remove as many panels as needed.

In regards to the plastic end pieces and strength, I can confidently say ours is much more robust. the ends of our covers are solid 1/2" thick UHMW (real tough fancy plastic) and the aluminum is a thicker, double walled extrusion. It can most definitely support your weight whenever you need it to.
It is made of aluminum, so if you bash it with a hammer it will dent, but I'd be really surprised if you could break it even if you were trying.
Thanks! Really appreciate the feedback!
(Edit: ordered 01/27)
Sponsored

Last edited:

CotoR1TDude

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I can share my experience. I received my first tonneau cover last July, got home from a weekend trip and immediately attempted installed it. There were no instructions and managed to put the slats in reverse direction. I proceeded to remove it, and standing up close I didn't notice the strap underneath. I then proceed to use my left and right hands blindly feeling under the outer latch mechanisms, and assuming they were latches that pulled and they snapped. What can I say? Not my best moment, opened and broke within minutes, completely my bad. But no instructions and pent up excitement after waiting 8 moths = sh#t happens.

Rivian was very gracious and replaced for free. I've had my replacement for many months and I'm confident in the strength of the plastic when pulling the strap. I can remove one slate and slide for access near the cab, or I can remove it completely. The slates are robust, secure and flimsy vinyl, and they are integrated. I kept my original, it's just about repaired, waiting for a couple screws.

My lifestyle is such that it's mostly on, I leave my swag inside my bed. My usage doesn't warrant the convivence of the automatic tonneau cover. I actually prefer not to have the extra wait and possible point of failure. If you are on the fence you should really consider your lifestyle. You can save your money for a slide out.

I transport 5 gallon beer kegs in the tunnel and these slide outs will be perfect for me - put your money into your own mechanized beer transport system (MBTS) :D

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
Mine just shipped exactly 1 month after I picked up my truck.

Funny enough also exactly 1 day after I texted my guide asking where is my tonneau cover. But he said I don't know.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Mine just shipped exactly 1 month after I picked up my truck.

Funny enough also exactly 1 day after I texted my guide asking where is my tonneau cover. But he said I don't know.
Seriously - one month after taking delivery? That is strange. I’m going on 5 months since delivery and nothing. I reached out to my guide a few days ago and he knew nothing. I check in about every other month. I know there are others that have been waiting much longer than I. Rivian must just pull names out of a hat to determine who is next in line.

Gandy14

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, R1T DM
Occupation
Journeyman Carpenter
Ever thought about adding a detent to you set up?

Drill a hole through the side of the Hard polymer bit, drop in a ball bearing, spring and retention screw. it wouldn't be "locking" but it may be strong enough to hold the panels in when one or more are removed. Also would benefit as a bit of an indexing function
I'm wondering where the retentions screw would go? I'm considering your idea on a tonneau I'm finishing right now and something to help keep them in place especially if the tailgate is down would be nice

Sponsored

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Seriously - one month after taking delivery? That is strange. I’m going on 5 months since delivery and nothing. I reached out to my guide a few days ago and he knew nothing. I check in about every other month. I know there are others that have been waiting much longer than I. Rivian must just pull names out of a hat to determine who is next in line.
Yeah I’m over a year out from delivery and still no word for anything

wolfsbane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Yukon Denali, Canyon SLT
...so, right now you can't even add a tonneau cover to your vehicle order if you shop available builds in the shop and tonneau covers aren't available to order in the gear shop either. Assuming RIVN has a huge backlog of customers who are awaiting covers they ordered previously, is there any inkling of an idea for when new customers who can't even order one yet might be able to get one?
Sponsored