First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Retired
I think this is worthy of its own thread now. I haven't seen a single photo of the manual tonneau.

Below is all the detail I see on the R1T page.

"Tonneau
We have two lockable tonneau cover options, both of which will protect against light weather. Our powered tonneau cover integrates into the truck and slides automatically with a touch of a button. It can also be operated remotely through our app. Our manual tonneau is easily removed in four lightweight panels that store in the Gear Tunnel."​

Here are some questions and ideas (either for Rivian or potential after-market options).

1) When will we see pictures and get more info on the manual tonneau?
2) The space where the power tonneau slats are stored would no longer be used with the manual tonneau. Is that space available as extra storage with the manual tonneau? Or is it just an inaccessible void?
3) Hopefully... will the manual tonneau sections step up a bit from the rails so that (1) the top is flush with the top of the bed rails for better aero and debris shedding, and (2) allow an extra half-inch or inch of clearance in the covered bed?
4) Option for extra strong manual tonneau sections that can be used as ramps for the bed (perhaps four sections where two pairs can slide into each other to extend)?
5) Option for extra strong sections to be used as recovery boards? Maybe more useful for snow recovery than off-road.
6) Will the panels double as a camp table? I had seen some discussion of this but sounds like maybe a rumor.
7) Will the manual tonneau be available to purchase in the gear shop for those to don't buy it with their R1T? (Seems likely.)
Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Either would indeed be news! My guide works in Normal and as of last week had still not even seen a pic of the manual tonneau, nor had anyone else he worked with. Rumors this week have the new powered tonneau another year away. Who the hell knows at this point. It would be classic Rivian to just start producing the manual tonneaus before anyone has actually laid eyes on them LOL
A year away for the new cover? Makes sense, do you think they will offer it for new builds or just fix the outstanding ones and leave it at that and cut their losses?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
A year away for the new cover? Makes sense, do you think they will offer it for new builds or just fix the outstanding ones and leave it at that and cut their losses?
That is the million dollar question, isn't it? There are always rumors going around and we never know what to believe anymore, but I guess if we are looking for silver linings I am not aware of a rumor that Rivian is giving up on the powered tonneau entirely. I've read lots of people here expecting that to be what happens but that is not coming from anyone at Rivian.

I could see Rivian starting out just fixing a bunch of the current covers with the new design and waiting a bit to see what happens, then adding it again as an option for new builds. But that is just my best guess. There were a few people months ago who said the SC replaced their cover motor with a prototype redesigned one, but it was only like 3 people and we never heard anything else about it. So I'm not even clear if that was real or not. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Guy

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The fact we can't get any photos or information on the manual tonneau is frustrating. It's like the biggest secret at Rivian, like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster - nobody has seen anything and we can't prove anything, just rumors swirling. I hope they come up with something soon. For a tonneau cover. Not the next model year vehicle. Not R2. Not software upgrades. A tonneau cover.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The fact we can't get any photos or information on the manual tonneau is frustrating. It's like the biggest secret a Rivian, like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster - nobody has seen anything and we can't prove anything, just rumors swirling. I hope they come up with something soon.
I ask my guide about it literally every 2 weeks and he said they are just as thirsty for info on it as we are. He said questions about both tonneaus are probably are the most frequently asked.

Sponsored

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
i will throw my hat in the ring of fire...I too would love to see the freaking manual cover before I decide if I want to go the EVSportline vs Rivian.

I guess I could just go both?

edit: but then one would clutter up my garage and my wife would not like that in the least.

Reactions: Guy

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
I ask my guide about it literally every 2 weeks and he said they are just as thirsty for info on it as we are. He said questions about both tonneaus are probably are the most frequently asked.
We have the same guide. I ask him about twice a week. :)

todays reply: Ugh, Me too. I know it's frustrating for all of us.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
We have the same guide. I ask him about twice a week. :)

todays reply: Ugh, Me too. I know it's frustrating for all of us.
Yep, that is about as much as I get back when I ask! It's those moments I feel sorry for them LOL

MCA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Retired
I think this is worthy of its own thread now. I haven't seen a single photo of the manual tonneau.

Below is all the detail I see on the R1T page.

"Tonneau
We have two lockable tonneau cover options, both of which will protect against light weather. Our powered tonneau cover integrates into the truck and slides automatically with a touch of a button. It can also be operated remotely through our app. Our manual tonneau is easily removed in four lightweight panels that store in the Gear Tunnel."​

Here are some questions and ideas (either for Rivian or potential after-market options).

1) When will we see pictures and get more info on the manual tonneau?
2) The space where the power tonneau slats are stored would no longer be used with the manual tonneau. Is that space available as extra storage with the manual tonneau? Or is it just an inaccessible void?
3) Hopefully... will the manual tonneau sections step up a bit from the rails so that (1) the top is flush with the top of the bed rails for better aero and debris shedding, and (2) allow an extra half-inch or inch of clearance in the covered bed?
4) Option for extra strong manual tonneau sections that can be used as ramps for the bed (perhaps four sections where two pairs can slide into each other to extend)?
5) Option for extra strong sections to be used as recovery boards? Maybe more useful for snow recovery than off-road.
6) Will the panels double as a camp table? I had seen some discussion of this but sounds like maybe a rumor.
7) Will the manual tonneau be available to purchase in the gear shop for those to don't buy it with their R1T? (Seems likely.)