Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...trip-union-ev-credit-bonus-opposed-by-manchin

Basically, Manchin got the extra $4500 tax rebate removed from the new version of the Build Back Better bill. The existing $7500 credit is still in place and there are negotiations to remove the 200000 vehicle limit. That would let GM, Tesla, and Nissan buyers use the credit again.

Seems to me that the union provision was the thing that killed it for Manchin.
Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Not a fan of that asshat.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Not a fan of that asshat.
I'm not a fan either but also wasn't a fan of the union favoritism designed to put the likes of Rivian and Tesla at a disadvantage to legacy automakers.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I'm not a fan either but also wasn't a fan of the union favoritism designed to put the likes of Rivian and Tesla at a disadvantage to legacy automakers.
While I am a fan of my Union, I didn't feel good about that part either, even though it could have applied to any of the car factories in the South where they have right to work (for less) laws.

Longreach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata
The $4,500 union add on was never defensible, and was likely added as a known throw out only to curry favor with voter groups.

Questions still open:
- Credit or rebate
- Income phaseout/cap
- Vehicle price cap
- Total production phaseout/cap

Manchinā€™s comment about ā€œintentā€ at least shows the whole discussion is still alive!

Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Devil you know is better than the devil you donā€™t. Iā€™d prefer things to remain as they are. :)

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Take that extra $4500/EV and put it towards incentives for building out public charging infra. IMHO in 2022+ lack of infra is the biggest barrier to adaption, not people being wary of EVs themselves.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
If it actually translated to more affordable EVs, it would be great but I see tax credit mostly as a handout to the manufacturers to stay competitive at the time they have a hard time making enough EVs to meet the demand at current prices. And it may have the opposite of intended effect. GM dropped price of Bolt without tax credit. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if they bump it back up when they are back in the game. Then those that donā€™t have enough tax liability end up paying more for the same EV because of tax incentive so they will have incentive to buy an ICE instead. I doubt Tesla would let customer see a penny of the incentive if they are back in the game. They need to put all that money on infrastructure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

The $4,500 union add on was never defensible, and was likely added as a known throw out only to curry favor with voter groups.

Questions still open:
- Credit or rebate
- Income phaseout/cap
- Vehicle price cap
- Total production phaseout/cap

Manchinā€™s comment about ā€œintentā€ at least shows the whole discussion is still alive!
Yea, I really hope they can turn the existing credit into a rebate. I can easily take advantage of the credit. There are too many that cannot.

Iā€™m mostly on board with a vehicle price cap and the removal of the production cap number.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Everyone loves the subsidies they love and hate paying for the subsidies they hate. Forced cross-subsidies are the right answer to absolutely no question ever.

Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I appreciate the legislators who vote independently rather than rubber stamp their party's agenda. The union provision served only to benefit those who bankroll their campaigns, as there is no environmental benefit to someone buying a union-made vs. non-union EV. Hopefully they revisit the MSRP caps as the current rate of price increases is going to quickly disqualify many models. My vote would be to keep the tax credit as-is and simply remove the 200,000 vehicle per manufacturer cap and instead sunset it after a number of years or percentage of market share.

jphillips97

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I appreciate the legislators who vote independently rather than rubber stamp their party's agenda. The union provision served only to benefit those who bankroll their campaigns, as there is no environmental benefit to someone buying a union-made vs. non-union EV. Hopefully they revisit the MSRP caps as the current rate of price increases is going to quickly disqualify many models. My vote would be to keep the tax credit as-is and simply remove the 200,000 vehicle per manufacturer cap and instead sunset it after a number of years or percentage of market share.
This times 1000!

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
So I don't think the credit was ever about driving demand among consumers. They knew manufacturers would raise the price accordingly. Rather this was about making the profit calculations easier for manufacturers to invest in all the capacity, engineering etc. It was meant to kick start the transition to EVs and bring competition to the market.

Just something to keep in mind when Manchin prattles on about not needing to drive adoption. Also Toyota is about to cap out.

It's also important to remember that means testing is a tactic to neuter government programs. It's seductive because it plays people off of each other debating who "deserves" the credit. And Toyota focuses heavily on the low cost segment. Seems to me they would love a credit that only got used to buy Prius and Rav Primes. Manchin's motives for means testing are pretty suspect to me.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Manchin does not GAF about EV adoption or any green inititatives. He is not only a coal roller, but a major investor in coal industries. None of this is secret.
Sponsored