Mach-E placeholder for R1S

Kachook

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Mustang Mach-E, Odyssey and former iX
So, I took the plunge and got my first EV yesterday - the Mach-E Premium AWD. I got this as a placeholder for the R1S although if I love it, I will end up canceling. My issues for a newbie EV owner include range anxiety and the inability of the Ford Pass App to connect to EVgo only to realize that I have to go online and activate it. Then, I need to wait for Ford to approve, which may take a while since we are on a holiday weekend. Happy Independence Day! On that note, Electrify America is allowing free charging this weekend, but it is not worth for me to drive half-an-hour to get there. So, I will just wait for the electrician tomorrow to install a Nema 14-50. I envision that some of these are problems that I may face with a Rivian since they have yet to deliver a vehicle. I cannot wait until the R1S comes out as I crave the larger interior room. As it is, I thought I would only get my vehicle in late 2022 or early 2023. Because of my range anxiety with this vehicle, I think I definitely will hold out for the max-pack even if it means I am looking well into 2023 assuming we don't have another kid.
Rivian R1T R1S Mach-E placeholder for R1S Ford Mustang Mach e - 7 3 21
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Range Anxiety is a variable that depends on a number of factors. As you get more experience with your MME I think you will find it less of an issue.
Soon after we got our first EV, my wife was driving when the "low range" warning (<10 miles remaining) came on. She was a little over a mile from home and stopped to charge. She didn't trust that the estimate was accurate. This was a car with an 82 mile EPA range rating.
People whose first EVs are cars with 200+ miles of EPA range can start to get nervous when it drops below 50 - the entire range of many used LEAFs (on a good day).

Like the red. Welcome to the world of EVs! For most, there is no going back :involve:

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

So, I took the plunge and got my first EV yesterday - the Mach-E Premium AWD. I got this as a placeholder for the R1S although if I love it, I will end up canceling. My issues for a newbie EV owner include range anxiety and the inability of the Ford Pass App to connect to EVgo only to realize that I have to go online and activate it. Then, I need to wait for Ford to approve, which may take a while since we are on a holiday weekend. Happy Independence Day! On that note, Electrify America is allowing free charging this weekend, but it is not worth for me to drive half-an-hour to get there. So, I will just wait for the electrician tomorrow to install a Nema 14-50. I envision that some of these are problems that I may face with a Rivian since they have yet to deliver a vehicle. I cannot wait until the R1S comes out as I crave the larger interior room. As it is, I thought I would only get my vehicle in late 2022 or early 2023. Because of my range anxiety with this vehicle, I think I definitely will hold out for the max-pack even if it means I am looking well into 2023 assuming we don't have another kid.
Congratulations! I really like the MME and I would go for the same color combination if I bought one.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Congrats, I still think the Mach E is the nicest looking one of the EV crossovers

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I got mine June 14, CA Route 1, maybe next year I can post a photo of my new Hummer:

Rivian R1T R1S Mach-E placeholder for R1S IMG_0123

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
FYI, I tested Plug & charge on EA already, it worked on the first try. Of course that does not mean it will necessarily work on the second try.

OP
OP

Kachook

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FYI, I tested Plug & charge on EA already, it worked on the first try. Of course that does not mean it will necessarily work on the second try.
I did not try electrify America
I got mine June 14, CA Route 1, maybe next year I can post a photo of my new Hummer:

IMG_0123.jpg
That’s a great color!

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I was also looking for a R1S (possible max pack) placeholder. Then the wife and I got an insane offer we couldn't refuse from our local Volvo dealership so we got a XC90 hybrid a week ago.

We plan on charging every night. Even with a puny little battery we should only have to get gas at the most once every month or two. Unfortunately, with the lengthening time horizon for the R1S we may end up keeping the XC90 and canceling the R1S. Then in a few years we will see what happens with the rest of the market.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
GREAT! Welcome to the wonderful world of EVs!! I've heard a lot of good things about the Mach-E and it looks like you got all the bells and whistles in yours. You gotta love it--and you will.
Range anxiety fades as you get use to a new way to power your ride. AND, after you get that Nema 14-50 setup installed, you may find your rarely need to us public charging anyway and any little roadtrip inconviences are well worth it.
In 2017, when I got my first Bolt, my husband nearly divorced me...literally...really...because he was so against EVs. Now, he loves the thing and always wants to drive it. They've become best buds...yes, a lowly little Bolt turned an anti-EVer into an EV lover. Sometimes I think he's more excited about getting the Rivian than I am...well, almost.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I did not try electrify America

That’s a great color!
I got an Infinite Blue Metallic, which they have now discontinued.

Since this is your first EV, I actually also have a Bolt and prior to that a Volt, I recommend that you get separate accounts set up with EA, EVGO and ChargePoint. I think it may not be a good idea to rely strictly on the Ford Pass app for those. I had to charge my Mach E on the way home from the dealer and used my existing EA App, since I did not have the P&C and Ford Pass all set up yet. And with EVGO and ChargePoint, you can get RFID cards, those work very reliably at those chargers. I did see on the Mach E forums that some people were having issues with using Ford Pass on EVGO, but I have personally not tried that yet.

Sponsored

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
I realize it’s only been a week or so, but what are your impressions?

I’m also in the need for a car. Once my daughter goes back to college, we’ll be a 1 car family, and I’m not sure my R1S will be here anytime soon.

The Mach E is getting great reviews!

OP
OP

Kachook

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hi. Thanks for asking. I love it. I’m happy with the purchase and no buyer’s remorse other than I should’ve gotten $1k more on my trade-in, which is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I posted this on the Mach-E forum the other day. I’ve had it for a week and 500 miles. My main comparison was to the Model Y because that was what I thought I was going to get. Here goes:

1) The car is a joy to drive. It is fast. I know the MY is a tiny bit faster, but I am not out to drag race anyone.
2) Range anxiety is a real thing. This is our first EV and I have been paying way more attention to the battery charge than I would the gas gauge in our ICE vehicles.
3) The Ford mobile charger is adequate and comes with a Nema 14-50 adapter (Tesla's costs another $40). This is getting me around 15-18 mph. I have ordered a Grizzl-E for even faster charging so I can keep the mobile charger in the car. I may return the Grizzl-E because that Ford Mobile Charger is adequate but the Grizzl-E would charge around 30-35 mph.
4) The car is smooth - definitely smoother and quieter than the MYs we test drove. My wife who rarely comments on vehicles and the way they drive told me last night that she likes the way the MME drives. Admittedly, her Q5 TDI was tuned a little more sporty and the Cayenne I traded in with standard suspension was bouncy. I think hands down better ride than the MY.
5) The frunk - I like the idea of the plastic, drainable frunk. I'm not going to be using my $60k car as a cooler anytime soon, but it is the thought that counts. Also, I worry about these frunks because I feel like I am going to bend the metal every time I close it. I know the MY has an aftermarket accessory that can automatically close it. I may look for something similar for the MME.
6) I really do wish the MME had an option for 7 seats. The MY does seem to make better use of its space. The MME seems smaller inside, but there is plenty of room for five. At least, we have the luxury of having a minivan if we need to fit 7-8. The rear cargo protector shade thing is kind of flimsy and cheap. A standard rolling action shade would have been better. It seems out of place for a car that is almost $60k. However, I can actually kick my foot below the hatch and it opens. It actually works and I’m shocked. The last two vehicles we had … only worked sporadically.
7) No PAAK (Phone as a key) issues yet, but I have the fob on me at all times. I am going to order a second one for my wife. Maybe I am starting to show my age, but I am way more likely to have in issue with my phone than the fob. I am more likely to lose my phone, forget to charge it or break it. The few times I have played around with the PAAK, it has worked. It should just come with two fobs. I know the MY comes with two cards and not fobs.
8) It took me a while to get Ford Pass (app that controls everything and also supposed to allow one to charge on the network without having to open the EVgo or EA app separately) to work correctly. I had to download EVgo and EA. Now, EA works on Ford Pass but I am still using the EVgo app. Granted, I will not have to use either app 99% of the time since I am charging overnight at home.
9) It is annoying that I couldn't watch Netflix or anything else while I am sitting at a charger other than using my phone, which my kids stole. I do give Tesla props for having the better interface and better apps. This is my biggest beef. This seems like it should be a simple download of an app.
9) I am very happy with this purchase. It was supposed to be a placeholder until I could get the Rivian. But, I like it enough that I may try to convince the boss to allow us to have two EVs and one ICE vehicle instead of one EV and two ICE vehicles.

Last edited:

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Hi. Thanks for asking. I love it. I’m happy with the purchase and no buyer’s remorse other than I should’ve gotten $1k more on my trade-in, which is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I posted this on the Mach-E forum the other day. I’ve had it for a week and 500 miles. My main comparison was to the Model Y because that was what I thought I was going to get. Here goes:

1) The car is a joy to drive. It is fast. I know the MY is a tiny bit faster, but I am not out to drag race anyone.
2) Range anxiety is a real thing. This is our first EV and I have been paying way more attention to the battery charge than I would the gas gauge in our ICE vehicles.
3) The Ford mobile charger is adequate and comes with a Nema 14-50 adapter (Tesla's costs another $40). This is getting me around 15-18 mph. I have ordered a Grizzl-E for even faster charging so I can keep the mobile charger in the car. I may return the Grizzl-E because that Ford Mobile Charger is adequate but the Grizzl-E would charge around 30-35 mph.
4) The car is smooth - definitely smoother and quieter than the MYs we test drove. My wife who rarely comments on vehicles and the way they drives told me last night that she likes the way they drive. Admittedly, her Q5 TDI was tuned a little more sporty and the Cayenne I traded in with standard suspension was bouncy. I think hands down better ride than the MY.
5) The frunk - I like the idea of the plastic, drainable frunk. I'm not going to be using my $60k car as a cooler anytime soon, but it is the thought that counts. Also, I worry about these frunks because I feel like I am going to bend the metal every time I close it. I know the MY has an aftermarket accessory that can automatically close it. I may look for something similar for the MME.
6) I really do wish the MME had an option for 7 seats. The MY does seem to make better use of its space. The MME seems smaller inside, but there is plenty of room for five. At least, we have the luxury of having a minivan if we need to fit 7-8. The rear cargo protector shade thing is kind of flimsy and cheap. A standard rolling action shade would have been better. It seems out of place for a car that is almost $60k. How we, I can actually kick my foot below and it opens. It actually works and I’m shocked. The last two vehicles we had … only worked sporadically.
7) No PAAK (Phone as a key) issues yet, but I have the fob on me at all times. I am going to order a second one for my wife. Maybe I am starting to show my age, but I am way more likely to have in issue with my phone than the fob. I am more likely to lose my phone, forget to charge it or break it. The few times I have played around with the PAAK, it has worked. It should just come with two fobs. I know the MY comes with two cards and not fobs.
8) It took me a while to get Ford Pass (app that controls everything and also supposed to allow one to charge on the network without having to open the EVgo or EA app separately) to work correctly. I had to download EVgo and EA. Now, EA works on Ford Pass but I am still using the EVgo app. Granted, I will not have to use either app 99% of the time since I am charging overnight at home.
9) It is annoying that I couldn't watch Netflix or anything else while I am sitting at a charger other than using my phone, which my kids stole. I do give Tesla props for having the better interface and better apps. This is my biggest beef. This seems like it should be a simple download of an app.
9) I am very happy with this purchase. It was supposed to be a placeholder until I could get the Rivian. But, I like it enough that I may try to convince the boss to allow us to have two EVs and one ICE vehicle instead of one EV and two ICE vehicles.
Congrats and I hope you enjoy your new Ford.

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2

4) The car is smooth - definitely smoother and quieter than the MYs we test drove. My wife who rarely comments on vehicles and the way they drive told me last night that she likes the way the MME drives. Admittedly, her Q5 TDI was tuned a little more sporty and the Cayenne I traded in with standard suspension was bouncy. I think hands down better ride than the MY.
6) I really do wish the MME had an option for 7 seats. The MY does seem to make better use of its space. The MME seems smaller inside, but there is plenty of room for five. At least, we have the luxury of having a minivan if we need to fit 7-8. The rear cargo protector shade thing is kind of flimsy and cheap. A standard rolling action shade would have been better. It seems out of place for a car that is almost $60k. However, I can actually kick my foot below the hatch and it opens. It actually works and I’m shocked. The last two vehicles we had … only worked sporadically.
Great stuff, thanks!!

2021R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
Unfortunately there are going to be more and more getting “place holders” that probably turn into permanent options. I gve up on the R1S and have bought my wife a new Q5e and it is awesome. 90% electric use is as easy as when we first got our 2012 Volt. I am trying to hold out for the R1T but I am not very confident that my lightening will get here first. I knew to jump on the reservation as soon as I could. Should be very early. This is as big a missed opportunity as I have seen. Hope the Amazon van sales are enough as that is obviously the priority.
Sponsored