OP

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I did see that video and wasnt sure if that is a production run/pre-prod etc. I dont think they have any EPA ratings yet or crash ratings yet officially published though I know it was in the works at least last year.

I think both Rivian and Lucid might be in the same position in terms of production and cars its just Rivian is playing close to the heart but Lucid has the potential to over promise and under deliver.
Based on what I've read and heard the CEO say, that's all pre-production activity. They are a couple months from having an actual production vehicle come off the line, although my understanding is that at this point, they are fine tuning the process and vehicle software and not the physical components, so anything that comes off now is theoretically mechanically identical to a production vehicle.

By the end of this quarter, Lucid should have a legal obligation to provide accurate information and exact commitments, which makes them less likely to over promise. Rivian can say June deliveries straight through July without delivering a vehicle. If Lucid pulls that once they're public, they'll be in trouble.

Personally, I don't think either company is doing that...
Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Personally, I don't think either company is doing that...
Both in the same boat! Let's see who will finish first! I hope Rivian but nothing concrete besides their word.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Lucid did announce the Gravity which will be an SUV, so a competitor to the R1S. I would assume that happens as long as the Air does well, and the IPO. Competition is a very healthy thing, hoping they all do well and push Tesla/Ford/GM/VW/etc/etc to do better.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Many (most?) vehicles are released before the crash ratings are available. The Mach e and id.4 are recent EV examples.

I have noticed that trend as well, it doesn't make sense to me at all really as it could be a "KEY" factor in determining if one would buy a car.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I have noticed that trend as well, it doesn't make sense to me at all really as it could be a "KEY" factor in determining if one would buy a car.
"To be certified for sale, every new model sold in the U.S. must be crash-tested internally to ensure minimum federal safety standards are met. But a publicly available rating isn’t required.

Currently, no Jaguar, Land Rover, or Porsche models are rated by NHTSA or the IIHS. Last year, those three automakers represented almost half of all vehicles sold without any public crash-test ratings—or more than 185,000 new vehicles on American roads."

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/some-cars-will-never-be-crash-tested-crash-test-ratings/#:~:text=To%20be%20certified%20for%20sale,available%20rating%20isn't%20required.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
This is the direct competition for Lucid

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This is the direct competition for Lucid

Looks like the old money manufacturers are bringing their a game to the party. Things are going to be crazy for the next several years in the EV space.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out and who is left standing near the front of the line.

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I guess it’s just me, but I’m am totally turned off watching Lucid’s videos. All the flowery language they use…everything is “perfect”, best ever invented,etc,etc. It’s been awhile since I watched this video, but like talking about the paint process like pretty average/common. Just not a fan.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I guess it’s just me, but I’m am totally turned off watching Lucid’s videos. All the flowery language they use…everything is “perfect”, best ever invented,etc,etc. It’s been awhile since I watched this video, but like talking about the paint process like pretty average/common. Just not a fan.
I'm with you on that. Didn't mind it the first video I saw, but everything since then seems to be overly polished and pretentious. Then again, I still laugh at fart jokes.

If the Lucid delivers anything close to what they promise, it will be an amazing car. But at that price, I'll take the Rivian every day of the week, at a fraction of the cost, and have plenty leftover for beans, rice, and beer.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Apple seems to be their marketing inspiration

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Apple seems to be their marketing inspiration
Or various religions. In fairness, you did say Apple. Kinda the same thing. "You mean like, on this iPhone, I can like, literally talk to another human being! Like, that is literally awesome! I have to, like, text my BFF's to let them know! OMG! WTF! LOL! EIEIO!"
Sponsored