Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Or various religions.
The religious fervor thing is marketing these days. You don’t drink that beverage; you are that beverage. You don’t use that device; that device is your path to nirvana. You buy those shoes because they will inspire your soul. Influencers exist because of how effective they are in marketing. It is fascinating to compare ads and marketing from 50 years ago and today.

I was thinking more Johnny Ive and Steve Jobs with their focus on form and use of a key set of descriptors that are repeated endlessly using very sharp looking videos.
Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Image marketing is a powerful beast! Especially in today’s image obsessed culture.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
The religious fervor thing is marketing these days. You don’t drink that beverage; you are that beverage. You don’t use that device; that device is your path to nirvana. You buy those shoes because they will inspire your soul. Influencers exist because of how effective they are in marketing. It is fascinating to compare ads and marketing from 50 years ago and today.

I was thinking more Johnny Ive and Steve Jobs with their focus on form and use of a key set of descriptors that are repeated endlessly using very sharp looking videos.
It is not necessarily that different now. The medium has changed. The specific style has changed. The exact message has changed. But the concept has been there a lot longer than just this social-media influencer fueled run right now. Go look at Coca-Cola ads over the years. They're all about emotion and lifestyle just like the influencer messaging.

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
It is not necessarily that different now. The medium has changed. The specific style has changed. The exact message has changed. But the concept has been there a lot longer than just this social-media influencer fueled run right now. Go look at Coca-Cola ads over the years. They're all about emotion and lifestyle just like the influencer messaging.
Yup. It has always been there, but starting in the eighties there was a marked shift from what the product does to the product being much more about your values. Notice that electric car ad. It described what you can use the product for with hints of “prestige” sprinkled in. Over the last 30-40 years they have pivoted from selling a product to selling a value or lifestyle almost exclusively. Look at car ads from the early 80s and today. Look at beverage ads from the 80s compared to today. It is an interesting thing to watch.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Or longer (from 1912):
1620577339493.png
I expect to see a plagiarized version of this with a Rivian out front in the November and December Auto Magazines this year.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

My mind did not go to "car" when I read this paragraph...

1620579588318.png
That's hilarious! Also, I've never heard "heightened 'social prestige' " used as a euphemism for "this" before today, which, let's not forget, is Mother's Day. There's still time to do a little shopping for those who have yet to find that perfect gift!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I liked Kyle basically stumping for them to give him a Lucid to cannonball. ?

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I liked Kyle basically stumping for them to give him a Lucid to cannonball. ?

Exactly ahaha also all the littke tidbits he gets out, 1000v architecture, sustainable 300kw charging etc.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Lucid figured out how to have a really slick user interface and incorporate support for Android Auto & Apple CarPlay. I hope that Rivian can figure this out in a future release.
Sponsored