Sponsored

Low speed 'Tocking' when stopping or starting

Low speed drivetrain 'tock' when starting out or stopping? Would you contact service?

• Total voters

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Chiming in...

Picked up VIN 119xx on Wednesday. Fairly certain I might have this issue already, no launches at all.

To make sure I'm on the right page, what I get is a bit of a knock. Seems to happen at lower in speeds for as soon as my foot pushes the accelerator or taking my foot off the accelerator. I think I've felt this as high as 30-40mph though.

I drive in conserve mode with the suspension around low or lowest. Pretty much can reproduce it every time now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

About 1k miles after my appointment and noise started to come back. It almost feels and sounds like slack in drivetrain on a conventional car.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
I made a quick video for reference to the tocking/knocking sound. I swear it did not do this the day I picked it up (2 days ago). Again - have never launched it or anything of the sort. I drive it in conserve mode.

It sounds almost quite literally like a clock. It seems to be getting worse too. I'm not sure what that "whip" noise is when I shift from reverse to drive, but that's a real noise it made, it's not from the audio source or something.

***I apologize for the sound of the pedestrian warning system, couldn't find a way to isolate without distorting the sound. You'll have to listen a little closely, but the tocks are audible.

Last edited:

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I made a quick video for reference to the tocking/knocking sound. I swear it did not do this the day I picked it up (2 days ago). Again - have never launched it or anything of the sort. I drive it in conserve mode.

It sounds almost quite literally like a clock. It seems to be getting worse too. I'm not sure what that "whip" noise is when I shift from reverse to drive, but that's a real noise it made, it's not from the audio source or something.

***I apologize for the sound of the pedestrian warning system, couldn't find a way to isolate without distorting the sound. You'll have to listen a little closely, but the tocks are audible.

Yeah the sound around 15s is pretty obvious. We all have that. My buddy’s new car VIN 9000 has same problem. I think it will get worse over time(more slack). Someone mentioned a half shaft redesign is on the way, but no email from Rivian like tonneau cover.

But you should probably still open a ticket with this video. The more people complains, the more seriously they will take it, just like tonneau cover.

Sponsored

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Yeah the sound around 15s is pretty obvious. We all have that. My buddy’s new car VIN 9000 has same problem. I think it will get worse over time(more slack). Someone mentioned a half shaft redesign is on the way, but no email from Rivian like tonneau cover.
What's the consensus on the safety issues with this? I personally can live with the sound that's not the end of the world assuming they eventually fix it next year. But is this a result of everything loosening up and therefore, things start to come apart? I love the truck so far but this seems concerning.

Have you or your friend had it addressed at all? How many miles have driven with these noises?

Last edited:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I had a tech stop by the other day because they needed to update my door sticker after I got my spare and they also did a suspension check. They torqued the upper bolts on the front control arms.

I asked him about the tick and he said it's a known issue and they can add some lubricant next time it's at the service center for something.

To me the noise In the video sounds more like the something that happened while the brakes are applied. There is also the "clunk" that I think is associated with the half shafts when first accelerating. I suspect it's those half shafts that would be lubricated. But either way, it doesn't seem to be a safety issue.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

All seem like normal sounds. Mine does the same. Half-shaft revision needing tighter tolerances would seem to be the only thing that will fix it.

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
Mine was corrected in service by lubricating half-shaft and retorquing bolts. Initially completely eliminated but feels/sounds like it might be creeping back in. Will monitor and report back.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Mine was corrected in service by lubricating half-shaft and retorquing bolts. Initially completely eliminated but feels/sounds like it might be creeping back in. Will monitor and report back.
Same with mine. Got it back about 2.5 weeks and 500 miles ago, sound is back now.

Sponsored

G_Land79

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi S4, 2014 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Statistician
Clubs

Same with mine. Got it back about 2.5 weeks and 500 miles ago, sound is back now.
Same, mine came back (but not as extreme) after about 800 miles

G_Land79

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi S4, 2014 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Statistician
Clubs

Are you both going to open another service ticket and have them address it again?
My plan is to notify them and try to get an engineer to call me to talk. If there really is no failure chance I will likely deal with this version for a bit until I know they have a better solution or redesign. I know it is under warranty and will get corrected at some point, I just don't want a major failure in the mean time

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
My gut feeling tells me that Rivian received a bad batch of half shafts from their vendor. Applying grease and re-torquing bolts at the SC is covering up the root cause of the problem.

Our Dual Motor Model Y with 25k on the clock is completely silent with zero driveline lash.

Last edited:

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
Same, mine came back (but not as extreme) after about 800 miles
This is disappointing to read. Mine goes in tomorrow to get this issue fixed. Maybe I will have them skip it if all they are going to do is a lube and torque job. I'd just as soon wait for a final fix.
Sponsored