Sponsored

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
I don't want to reserve an R3X I want to buy one right now. I would put down a $1000 again like I did for the R1T.

I'm not in marketing or anything similar and I understand why the R2 is the next release. But I think doing a run of a few thousand 3X's first might make people go crazy for them and really hype the brand. Current owners should be a priority of course.
Sponsored

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

@Rivian , I know you are feeling it - how crazy people are about R3 and so many fell in love with R3!
Even if you ditch R1*, R2, go all in with R3 today, you'll be very successful :cool:

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
Saying this as someone who really wants the R3 in the future, Rivian should do whatever makes them money + profitable quick.
I agree however I don’t need an R2 it is just a smaller R1. I will never sell my R1. The R3 is perfect for us empty nesters. More like a X-Over is what the wife needs. My problem is in 2026 or when the R3 comes out I will be at least 76. I would put a deposit down now hoping for an earlier release.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
They've only shown a very much not production ready prototype. Give it a minute.

Sponsored

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

I don't want to reserve an R3X I want to buy one right now. I would put down a $1000 again like I did for the R1T.
I'll second (or third, or 1,000,000th) this. I put down $1,000 for the R1S and have been happy with the results. I (we) would be happy to do that for R3X today with an indeterminate delivery date. Call my bluff, @Rivian

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
Sign me up. R3 reservation for my wife which will be bungled by me, in mistakenly placing our deposit on an R3X. After all, being able to climb wheelstops and parking lot curbs is very underrated. So is an under 3 second zero to 60.

Krisbuggy

First Name
Krishna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul
Clubs

1710076629042.png

Hi Rivian,

We love you and we're loyal. We would much like to place a reservation on an R3/R3X regardless of shipping schedule. You could drop the R3X in 2031 and I would likely still be interested. Many of us are keeping our R1's and many of us are moving them for other vehicles that are more practical for our use case. For me personally, I needed more of a "Work Truck" so I wound up in a Lightning. For others the size was impractical or perhaps, the payment.

Here's the thing. We're here though, and we're fans. Almost all of us who left and obviously those of us that are still here are looking to fill out our garages with granola haulers. I have a reservation for an R2 down, but I'm going to be honest, my wife would much rather prefer something in the R3 size for her commute into an urban environment. I'm guessing there are many like me who might have a reservation on an R2 but wish they could migrate it to an R3.

If you threw us a bone on the R3 like this, at least to current customers. You will have us hooked for all of those years. You will keep us on these message boards and others. We'll click on the YouTube videos, follow the influencers on X. You may have originally envisioned the R1 as your "halo car" but I think it's going to be this. I think this is your Wrangler. We're going to love this thing. We're going to mod this thing. We're going to sleep in it and, well, you get the idea. This is America's new car.

Let us help you convince the world by taking our money. Please, take our money. I personally am willing to trade up to 1 spouse and/or child in exchange for right of first refusal on cars out of the factory, we stand ready to commit our kin if necessary. I've been stockpiling kin now for decades for just such an occasion.

Signed,
Proud former owner of,
  • '87 VW Scirroco
  • '89 Mustang LX Notchback
  • '04 VW Jetta
  • '06 VW GTI
  • '08 VW GTI
  • '09 Smart ForTwo
  • '12 Smart ForTwo
  • '15 Fiesta ST
  • '19 Bolt EV
  • '23 Bolt EV
(insert your former small car ownership/opinion/agreement below!)
I can totally relate! Love your passion!

SamDoe1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford GT350
Clubs

I'll put down a deposit for a R3X right now if given the opportunity. I have no reason to reserve a R2, my R1T is just fine.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Sign me up. R3 reservation for my wife which will be bungled by me, in mistakenly placing our deposit on an R3X...
And, you already know how to start that conversation right? "Well honey, you know what a knucklehead I am right, well it seems that when I reserved your Rivian..." lol 😄

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I wonder if Rivian is hoping/expecting battery cost to fall in the future, in order to be able to sell R3/3X at a lower price. And scale/volume of R2 production/sales would help them get there. Thus, holding back start of reservations.

Last edited:

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
I think a lot of people are missing the fact that hatchback/wagons don't really do all that well in America. For a lot of us Rivian fanboys on the forum, the R3/R3X looks amazing, but if you poll random people out there that just need a practical A to B family hauling SUV, you'll find way more people willing to pay $45k for a model Y competitor than $40k for a small hatcback that would probably be a 2nd or 3rd car for Rivian fans.

As much as it pains me to say, the R2 is the right move to create a high volume crossover/SUV at the right price point that will appeal to the vast majority of people.

That being said, if Rivian wanted to open reservations to take my money, i'd gladly hand it over in a heartbeat!!

OP
OP
Bee

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
I wonder if Rivian is hoping/expecting, battery cost to fall in the future, in order to be able to sell R3/3X at a lower price. And scale/volume of R2 production/sales would help them get there. Thus, holding back start of reservations.
My guess is they're busy snatching up capacity that enters the market while Ford and GM play with steam punk artifacts. Rivian will be able to make this car at a profit no matter what because they can choose any starting price between $35,000-$42,500 and have a market to sell to. At those prices, with their manufacturing processes, I bet they'll profit on each vehicle rather early.

Some states, we're talking an actual starting price of $25,000-$35,000 after rebates.

OP
OP
Bee

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
I think a lot of people are missing the fact that hatchback/wagons don't really do all that well in America. For a lot of us Rivian fanboys on the forum, the R3/R3X looks amazing, but if you poll random people out there that just need a practical A to B family hauling SUV, you'll find way more people willing to pay $45k for a model Y competitor than $40k for a small hatcback that would probably be a 2nd or 3rd car for Rivian fans.

As much as it pains me to say, the R2 is the right move to create a high volume crossover/SUV at the right price point that will appeal to the vast majority of people.

That being said, if Rivian wanted to open reservations to take my money, i'd gladly hand it over in a heartbeat!!
I mean, the Chevy Bolt had a model-wide recall and they cancelled it yet ChevyBolt.org is still one of the more active car communities per capita. I think you're conflating "not popular" with "not as much money to be made as big cars so Ford and GM killed them and made people buy SUVs instead forcing a lack of options so they can get around emissions regulations and have higher profit margins."

Meanwhile, I'd say this size car is doing just fine. My favorite is Chevy's rediscovery of the market.

Camry
1710198347648.png

Civic
1710198311069.png

Trax
1710198235620.png

Kona

1710198275358.png

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
I mean, the Chevy Bolt had a model-wide recall and they cancelled it yet ChevyBolt.org is still one of the more active car communities per capita. I think you're conflating "not popular" with "not as much money to be made as big cars so Ford and GM killed them and made people buy SUVs instead forcing a lack of options so they can get around emissions regulations and have higher profit margins."

Meanwhile, I'd say this size car is doing just fine. My favorite is Chevy's rediscovery of the market.

Camry
1710198347648.png

Civic
1710198311069.png

Trax
1710198235620.png

Kona

1710198275358.png
GM and Honda sell 20+ models…they can afford to go after every market segment. If you have to choose one and your life depends on it, you go after the biggest one

the top 3 selling cars hitting 400,000 per year each in the US are the CRV/Rav4/Model Y

The trax and Kona are peanuts in comparison
Sponsored