Sponsored

Let's Post Generators We Know Work To Charge

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
With hunting season coming up, and many of us going out long distance and/or staying there for a week or two (hello vampire drain keep me up at night worry), knowing ways to add charge in a pinch is getting to be important for some of us.

My 6kW Genmax (GM6000iED) works as long as I don't try to go over 20A. 22A and it starts surging and eventually dies. Haven't tried it on propane yet (dual fuel), figure I might have to drop it down in amperage a touch. On the generator, it says that neutral is bonded to the frame (ground), which is important for some chargers. I'm not sure if that's typical of inverter generators, or just how this one was implemented.

240V, so charging at 5kW, 7.5 miles per hour.

Anyone else?

Rivian R1T R1S Let's Post Generators We Know Work To Charge PXL_20220803_233055404

Rivian R1T R1S Let's Post Generators We Know Work To Charge PXL_20220803_232023179
Sponsored

Last edited:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
The holy grail I'm looking for is something that can charge at 5+kW and fit under the tonneau cover. I don't think this one fits?

OP
OP

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The holy grail I'm looking for is something that can charge at 5+kW and fit under the tonneau cover. I don't think this one fits?
Definitely taller than the tonneau. For hunting I have a trailer I bring along behind, so that doesn't matter too much for me, but can see the need.

I hate to say it, but don't think you will find one.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Definitely taller than the tonneau. For hunting I have a trailer I bring along behind, so that doesn't matter too much for me, but can see the need.

I hate to say it, but don't think you will find one.
Honda EU2200i's will fit under the tonneau, two combined will output 3600W. I don't know if they actually work to charge the truck though.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

With hunting season coming up, and many of us going out long distance and/or staying there for a week or two (hello vampire drain keep me up at night worry), knowing ways to add charge in a pinch is getting to be important for some of us.

My 6kW Genmax (GM6000iED) works as long as I don't try to go over 20A. 22A and it starts surging and eventually dies. Haven't tried it on propane yet (dual fuel), figure I might have to drop it down in amperage a touch.

240V, so charging at 5kW, 7.5 miles per hour.

Anyone else?

PXL_20220803_233055404.jpg

PXL_20220803_232023179.jpg
Good info. How long can the generator run at 20A with a full tank?

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Ecoflow Delta Pro. A single one can put out 3.6kw, or you can pair two for 7.2kw. 16.4" tall, so will fit under the tonneau. They can be charged in a variety of ways, including via a level 2 EV charger at home or on the road (0-100% in little over an hour) or with solar (free after the cost of the panels). Rated at 3,500 cycles to 80% capacity and 6,500 cycles to 50% capacity. So you could use a full cycle every day for 10 years before hitting the 80%.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Ecoflow Delta Pro. A single one can put out 3.6kw, or you can pair two for 7.2kw. 16.4" tall, so will fit under the tonneau. They can be charged in a variety of ways, including via a level 2 EV charger at home or on the road (0-100% in little over an hour) or with solar (free after the cost of the panels). Rated at 3,500 cycles to 80% capacity and 6,500 cycles to 50% capacity. So you could use a full cycle every day for 10 years before hitting the 80%.
You beat me to it. It is however, easily the most expensive "generator" available.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Honda EU2200i's will fit under the tonneau, two combined will output 3600W. I don't know if they actually work to charge the truck though.
You do realize the Honda is a 120v Genset right...?

OP
OP

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You beat me to it. It is however, easily the most expensive "generator" available.
Thanks for putting generator in quotes. Agreed on these not being in the running here.

Also, at 3.6kWh (aka 6 miles) per $3.5k, and that's it's max recharge capacity I wouldn't consider them even in the running for something like this. I'd have to buy half a Rivian of cost of 'em to even get an acceptable charge to get back to civilization.

OP
OP

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Good info. How long can the generator run at 20A with a full tank?
I won't know until I actually run it through a full tank, which I won't annoy my neighbors doing right now.

But assuming about 0.5 gal/hr consumption at the 5kW or so and a 3.6 gallon tank, I'd expect it to add 50 miles or more before I run out of gas in the tank, then can switch to my propane tanks which I hardly ever use up just for light and cooking and maybe get another 20 or 30 from a tank there.

All assumptions until I actually run it for the 7 hours or so it says it should.last at 3/4 to full load.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Thanks for putting generator in quotes. Agreed on these not being in the running here.

Also, at 3.6kWh (aka 6 miles) per $3.5k, and that's it's max recharge capacity I wouldn't consider them even in the running for something like this. I'd have to buy half a Rivian of cost of 'em to even get an acceptable charge to get back to civilization.
Definitely not a viable option for anything more than a quick boost in an emergency to get you a few miles to another charging source. The advantage is, it does charge fairly quickly, certain faster than most generators will, but it's only going to get you another 6 or 7 miles in range.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You do realize the Honda is a 120v Genset right...?
And? The Rivian will charge at up to 48A on 120V with the right EVSE.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Rivian R1T R1S Let's Post Generators We Know Work To Charge HamsterInWheel-488x300

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Pure sine wave vs not? Seems like an important thing to think about when dealing with sensitive electronics.

OP
OP

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Pure sine wave vs not? Seems like an important thing to think about when dealing with sensitive electronics.
The generator I posted, and the Honda generator being talked about are inverter generators, aka true pure sine wave with very low THD and suitable for electronics. It's also why they cost quite a bit more than a standard generator...
Sponsored