Leather Interior Colors

Peter del Rio

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3 rex, Jaguar XKR, Land Rover LR3
Rivian R1T R1S Leather Interior Colors landrover-rangeroverevoque-5711111114222101600x1060

In all high end cars, the baseball mitt, saddle color of leather are offered - think Bentley, Ferrari, ect. This an example of the Range Rover Evoque saddle color.

It seems to me a Green R1S would be beautiful in a Timberland brown leather interior. To me, light tan just looks artificial but maybe I am just partial to the old school Hermes saddle leather color.

Nevertheless, if I am going to buy a new car that cost $80 - 90K, rather than wait 3 years for it to depreciate 50%, I want a car just the way I like it.

So what are the prospects of Rivian offering such a tan color?

And what color car/leather would be your ideal for your Rivian R1S?
Sponsored

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
So far they have only announced plans for 3 interior colors: Forest Edge (the green inside the demo R1T), Lunar Rock (the grey inside the demo R1S), and black. They have also indicated that there will be only 8 exterior colors although the full set of colors has not been revealed.

Like Tesla, I suspect they will stick to this very limited set of colors for quite a while. This reduces manufacturing complexity and thus costs for a company that is striving to become profitable.

As for my color choice, I will probably stick with black as I have always had better luck keeping darker interiors clean. For example, I got soaked in a downpour once and had a brown leather belt bleed dye into the tan leather seat of the car I was driving at the time. I was never able to remove that stain. I suppose Rivian's new material choices could possibly allow me to reconsider going with a lighter color for a change. But, while I am sure normal dirt from my human and canine passengers would probably clean up well I'm not so sure about the impact of things like transfer of fabric and leather dyes (a problem I've heard reported with Tesla's white interior), accidental ink marks from dropped ball point pens, etc.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
In all high end cars, the baseball mitt, saddle color of leather are offered, think Ferrari, Bentley, ect.
That's exactly what I want. You won't get it.

Tesla doesn't even offer leather anymore. Rivian may go that route.

I'm researching aftermarket seats and reupholstery shops. Expensive, but I want what I want, not what they offer.

edit: this is what I want (more pics at this link):

Rivian R1T R1S Leather Interior Colors ram

Last edited:

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Some of the new synthetic leathers are actually considerable improvements over real leather -- and often go at premium prices over leather. They have the look, feel, and breathability, but better wear and cleaning characteristics.

I ordered a set of custom-built theater seats and was offered the choice of real leather or a new synthetic leather (at a higher price). With a bit of trepidation, I ordered the synthetic material and am glad I did. Its look is indistinguishable from leather but is considerably more supple. Two years in, and it's showing no signs of wear, even where people prop their feet on the footrests, and it cleans up beautifully. I will never dismiss synthetic leathers out of hand again.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Correct, Rivians won't be available with real leather. I'm in agreement with Hmp10 on this, modern synthetics can be fantastic materials - they're a far cry from the vinyls and pleathers of decades past. I'm also a fan of this saddle color and I suspect the "vegan leather" Rivian has chosen could be had in this color. Best bet is for everyone to let Rivian know there is a desire, they really do pay attention to such things. But the closer we get to production the tougher it will be for them to support additional options (if that ship hasn't sailed already).

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I've had all colors of interiors, and greatly prefer darker for cleaner appearance as well as the "cozy" feel of darker interior.

Most have been black, but my favorite of all time was a medium-ish brown in an F150 Platinum that was darker than the natural/saddle.

Pic courtesy of google:

Rivian R1T R1S Leather Interior Colors 59793904

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
My last two Honda minivans have had "truffle" interiors. It's a silly name, but it's sort of a dark gray/brown very similar to the frame cladding on the seats in Skyote's picture. It gives a lot of advantages of a black interior but allows cabin contours to stand out a bit more.

I prefer lighter color interiors aesthetically but find them less practical in more utility-oriented vehicles. As my R1S would be used mostly for hauling around me and my aged gang in upright comfort, though, I might go with the Lunar Rock. Most of us are past the age of dripping ice cream cones on the seats and not quite yet at the age it starts again.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
It's a silly name, but it's sort of a dark gray/brown very similar to the frame cladding on the seats in Skyote's picture. It gives a lot of advantages of a black interior but allows cabin contours to stand out a bit more.
I would love a dark gray as well, and the contrast in the cabin vs black was one of the things I really liked about the brown.

OP
OP
Peter del Rio

Peter del Rio

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3 rex, Jaguar XKR, Land Rover LR3
Rivian R1T R1S Leather Interior Colors 9c804e0d0cf70f15fd3f786b29da5d58

When thinking about the interior, I realize, I want to be able to hose out the car if possible. I do not want to think I am hurting my car by just using it and getting it dirty. Therefore, whatever material that is, I want it in my R1S.

I also realize that car seats are a modern day saddle and therefore I want them to look and feel like a saddle. The ideal is a Hermes saddle which is this color and soft. I confess, if synthetic leather can last as long as real leather, I am fine with synthetic, as long as it looks and feels the same.

This image of the Range Rover Evoque shows the saddle leather seats among a contrasting interior. The black interior is easy to clean and the contrasting saddle seats look sharp. I would expect these seats offered in a car costing this much. The image of the seats starting this thread is an example of a more subtle look.

Of course, these seats would be an option costing more.

Big Picture, this option would also help Rivian get to where it eventually could go; to the mass customization of electric vehicles, built on a skateboard platform utilizing CAD/CAM and artificial intelligence to manufacture the EVs. However, mass customization is for another thread....

Could and would Rivian offer an option for "saddle" seats?

Last edited:

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
I used to drive a Wrangler for a few years and took it camping a bit and even though I coould, I never had cause to "hose out" the interior. I did get the floors muddy which is why I had Weathertech liners pretty much everywhere.

Personally, I would prefer a more civilized upholstery experience with something like Weathertech on the floors.

My R1T will be a daily driver with occasional backcountry or overlander trips. While I am in town, I want a nicer leather buttxperience!

Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
landrover-rangeroverevoque-5711111114222101600x1060.jpg

In all high end cars, the baseball mitt, saddle color of leather are offered - think Bentley, Ferrari, ect. This an example of the Range Rover Evoque saddle color.

It seems to me a Green R1S would be beautiful in a Timberland brown leather interior. To me, light tan just looks artificial but maybe I am just partial to the old school Hermes saddle leather color.

Nevertheless, if I am going to buy a new car that cost $80 - 90K, rather than wait 3 years for it to depreciate 50%, I want a car just the way I like it.

Love the baseball glove brown with the stitching...but no real leather, just like Tesla, it's vegan leather.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Well it really depends on how will you use the vehicle. I like the darker grey, but I think I'll stick to black. Kids find some interesting ways to mess up the interior! I think I'm getting the black in and black out, but that baseball interior looks very classy, maybe once the kids are off to college :)

Chunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
landrover-rangeroverevoque-5711111114222101600x1060.jpg

Saddle/baseball mitt/ “peanut butter guts” interior with the green, white, or dark blue exterior would be high on my list. In no world do I want a white interior...I like the green tea interior but it only works with certain paint colors.

you’re correct...every high end interior has this option
Sponsored