Sponsored

This youtube review points out R1S cabin interior noise?

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
So just watched this R1S review where she points out cabin noise that does not exist in a Model X. That sounds very unfortunate when dropping $80k+.

Anyone that has experience with both vehicles have same feedback?

Sponsored

Last edited:

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
So just watched this R1S review where she points out cabin noise that does not exist in a Model X. That sounds very unfortunate when dropping $80k+.

Anyone that has experience with both vehicles have same feedback?

I feel the Rivian is comparable to my Tesla in terms of noise, the difference seems to the type of noise and where the noise comes from though. That said, neither are silent luxury cruisers that isolate you from the world.

The R1T has on more than one occasion made me wonder if it’s really windy outside (It wasn’t) and left me hunting to see if I had air leaks.

The current benchmark for EVs in terms of cabin isolation IMO is the Ford Lightning.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Saw the same video. I would just say, everyone is different in their concerns and opinions. I would suggest driving both and make your own assessment. I am NOT taking the advice of a 4th grader when it comes to any vehicle purchases. Hell, at one point someone said there wasn't enough leg room in the vehicle. Just make your own assessment based on what you discover. It does make sense that if the air compressor is inside the R1S and outside of the R1T, its natural to hear some noise. Just my 2 cents.

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have my R1S for more than two months. I do not notice cabin noise especially from my air compressor. My wife actually said that the car is quiet. The only louder noise I have ever heard was when the car preconditioning the battery for a charge but it only happened two times that were louder than other times.

Sponsored

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Saw the same video. I would just say, everyone is different in their concerns and opinions. I would suggest driving both and make your own assessment. I am NOT taking the advice of a 4th grader when it comes to any vehicle purchases. Hell, at one point someone said there wasn't enough leg room in the vehicle. Just make your own assessment based on what you discover. It does make sense that if the air compressor is inside the R1S and outside of the R1T, its natural to hear some noise. Just my 2 cents.
Her biggest fans are Tesla owners... do you expect her to be unbiased? IMHO... I wouldn't even call a model X a SUV... a crossover maybe.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It does make sense that if the air compressor is inside the R1S and outside of the R1T, its natural to hear some noise. Just my 2 cents.
Would make sense if that were the case but it is not. The air compressor fitting for inflating tires, etc is inside the cabin in the R1S (not sure about the compressor itself) but this is not the same compressor used for the suspension and I am 99.999% certain that the compressor for the suspension is NOT inside the passenger cabin. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Would make sense if that were the case but it is not. The air compressor fitting for inflating tires, etc is inside the cabin in the R1S (not sure about the compressor itself) but this is not the same compressor used for the suspension and I am 99.999% certain that the compressor for the suspension is NOT inside the passenger cabin. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
It is under the enclosed passenger space whereas in the T it will be under the bed and away from the enclosed passenger compartment

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
she's unwatchable.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I’m still dumbfounded that multiple people would hand a totally rando woman the keys to their vehicle, let alone a brand new Rivian.

Not sure what would justify doing so, but it has to be something good.

Or dirty.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
please share a timestamp for the noise reference

I have the R1T. It's noisy around the A pillars.
I have the X, it's just plain noisy all round at freeway speeds.
(I know many declare the X to be whisper quiet. I assume their daily driver is a locomotive.)

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
if you expect a 7,000 pound boxy R1S with 2x the glass area of a Model X to be as quiet as a 5300 lb model X, you have unrealistic expectations. If that's a deal breaker, great, buy the model X.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
+1 to Zoid’s comment. It’s a tall refrigerator with a less than raked windscreen. Regardless, my R1T only has noticeable wind noise above 85mph, and that is with no music playing.
Sponsored