Sponsored

Launch mode not as good after update

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

3.6x seems about right, considering you have the 20" AT's and 100kph is more than 60mph.
I have an old Dragy run of 3.20 saved that I can compare to maybe this weekend, I'm curious to see the acceleration G difference with what people are reporting.
I was driving home in sport mode yesterday, and it seemed just as punchy as ever while already in motion.
Sponsored

jasonphoto01

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 1976 Ford Bronco, 2018 RR Sport
Occupation
Medical Field
What sorts of things keep piling up? Besides the (so far unproven) speculation in this thread, is there an example of another feature they have removed via updates?
Not necessarily things taken away but more so disappointments that weren't expected that I keep adding to my list. Like...
  • I listen to Spotify 90% of the time while driving, and its user interface is beyond antiquated.
  • I can't verbally respond to texts, nor does my vehicle notify me that I have received a text.
  • The paint job has a few spots that are unacceptable by mid-tier/luxury standards.
  • No sunroof shield, which should be standard, especially in a vehicle of this price point.
  • My steering wheel still continues to shake once I'm over 60mph.
  • I still have issues where I sometimes walk up to my vehicle and wait for the doors to unlock (this gets better-worse-better with each update).
  • Servicing your vehicle can mean months in queue.
  • The seats feel very stiff, and the "faux leather" is noticeable compared to the real deal.
  • I have issues where my screen will go blank, and lose cell service even though my phone says otherwise.
  • No electric bed cover with no update despite being told there would be.
  • The launch function is not what it was when I first got it. (word is it's a software thing that Rivian is doing to minimize wear and tear on parts, thus reducing warranty issues.) If that is the case, what could that potentially mean in the future for functions like kneeling and off-road?
Obviously, these are things that some will care about and others will not, so I'm speaking to things that have been surprises along the way and disappoint me. I also love the Rivian and all the obvious benefits I just wasn't expecting to add to the side of "cons" as much as I have after owning it over time.

ryanpei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Ford F150 Hybrid
From the RIvian Subreddit:

level 1
martinbogo
Rivian R1T R1S Launch mode not as good after update posts_2_120
+2·35 min. ago·edited 32 min. ago

R1S Launch Edition Owner
I took delivery on 3/18/23 and one of the first things I did was a launch that I measured using Dragy which is a pretty well respected app for the purpose. ( usually off a timeslip by at most a few hundredths of a second )
95% state of charge ( 30 minute rest period, warm batteries from 10 laps )
3/20/23 2023.06.05 firmware, ambient temp 72F
0-60 3.12 s
1/4 mi 10.8 s @ 114.6 mph. ( Yes, <11sec, car was BRAND new and track was PERFECT )
5/6/23 2023.14,00 firmware, ambient temp 81F
0-60 3.24 s
1/4 mi 11.0 s @ 113.2 mph
Real world test, no significant difference?
What we DO know is that state of charge has always made a difference. Launch-lag is a thing under 75% charge. To get the best launch, you need to be over 75% charger ( preferably 90% ) and the batteries need to have been warmed up by driving a bit.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

From the RIvian Subreddit:

level 1
martinbogo
posts_2_120.png
+2·35 min. ago·edited 32 min. ago

R1S Launch Edition Owner
I took delivery on 3/18/23 and one of the first things I did was a launch that I measured using Dragy which is a pretty well respected app for the purpose. ( usually off a timeslip by at most a few hundredths of a second )
95% state of charge ( 30 minute rest period, warm batteries from 10 laps )
3/20/23 2023.06.05 firmware, ambient temp 72F
0-60 3.12 s
1/4 mi 10.8 s @ 114.6 mph. ( Yes, <11sec, car was BRAND new and track was PERFECT )
5/6/23 2023.14,00 firmware, ambient temp 81F
0-60 3.24 s
1/4 mi 11.0 s @ 113.2 mph
Real world test, no significant difference?
What we DO know is that state of charge has always made a difference. Launch-lag is a thing under 75% charge. To get the best launch, you need to be over 75% charger ( preferably 90% ) and the batteries need to have been warmed up by driving a bit.
Never had a doubt!!!!

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Doesn't surprise me. With the play that the driveline seems prone to develope, they are probably limiting sudden torque application to reduce warranty costs.
BMW did similar with the i3 - early i3s were ripping their motors off their motor mounts from the torque, so instead of beefing up the motor mounts, they limited the low-end power.

Sponsored

OP
OP
W1SE

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

Glad to see this is being addressed. All the paranoid people were right!
Yup, notes from the next update hint at something

Update 18.0:
“…Addressed a regression with acceleration response that affected launch performance”

AMaier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Ioniq 5, MX-5 ND
I've still been noticing the lack of performance while launching. The update doesn't seem to have fixed the issue for me. Has this been fixed for anyone else?
Sponsored