Sponsored

Large pack - Enough range to complete the White Rim Road?

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

R1S with Large pack has a projected range of 316 miles
Subtract 10-15% for All-Terrain wheels and tires = 268-284 miles
Driving at low speeds on steep and slippery surfaces presumably cuts range further.
I'm not sure by how much - maybe 50% or so?
Leaving 134-142 miles of true off-road range - is this a reasonable estimate or am I missing something?

From what I can tell online, the White Rim Road loop is about 124 miles of total driving from Moab, with 71 miles of dirt and the rest pavement. It seems like it should make it on a full charge, if the above assumptions are reasonable.

Thoughts? Anyone planning on taking their R1 on this trip?
Sponsored

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
Too funny, we are planning to head there in Sept. I put the route map in Gaia to get a better idea of the elevation change. Also, Gaia says total distance is more like 150 mi.
Rivian R1T R1S Large pack - Enough range to complete the White Rim Road? 1648647579393

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

R1S with Large pack has a projected range of 316 miles
Subtract 10-15% for All-Terrain wheels and tires = 268-284 miles
Driving at low speeds on steep and slippery surfaces presumably cuts range further.
I'm not sure by how much - maybe 50% or so?
Leaving 134-142 miles of true off-road range - is this a reasonable estimate or am I missing something?

From what I can tell online, the White Rim Road loop is about 124 miles of total driving from Moab, with 71 miles of dirt and the rest pavement. It seems like it should make it on a full charge, if the above assumptions are reasonable.

Thoughts? Anyone planning on taking their R1 on this trip?
Not to worry, Rivian will send extraction team if necessary.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Looks like your estimate is reasonable, plus you’ll have payload for water and camping stuff. Maybe a good idea to pack a mountain bike as well. Most average 12+ hours drive time with one night camp. Roughly 7.5k’ elevation change either direction with some regen, mountain bike trail profile below.

Maybe the only contingency is route finding as there are a few spur roads, but it is otherwise well marked and well travelled.

Not that it’ll help materially, but would be interested in any solar potential for just such an outing.

Rivian R1T R1S Large pack - Enough range to complete the White Rim Road? 9A47FC3F-D471-47CD-B09B-A5845B9EC9EC

Last edited:
OP
OP

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

@Northish - Awesome, It sounds like you are planning to take your R1T? Would love to hear how it goes!

Sponsored

OP
OP

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

@moosehead - I'd like to do it on a mountain bike as well, perhaps with the Rivian as a support vehicle for camping gear etc. And yes, some solar recharging capability would be awesome - seems like we are still a ways off from that being a realistic way to add range though?

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
@Northish - Awesome, It sounds like you are planning to take your R1T? Would love to hear how it goes!
Yes, we'd take the R1T. We've seen parts of the drive in person from the rim and via others' videos, but like you I'm curious about low speed efficiency of the EV drivetrain. I've seen Jeeps get something like 11 mpg, but an ICE seems like it would be inefficient at very low speeds due to needing to keep a minimum engine speed.
I like the capability to have Conserve for FWD only on the flat sections, and only using quad motors to minimize slip/struggling.
I'm going to keep looking for more data from R1's on dirt roads/off-roading until our trip. Worst case, we'll probably drive the beginning and make at least the first night and evaluate progress. If things aren't looking promising we'll turn around and make the climb back out before pushing it.
If any others have hard data on low speed dirt road R1 efficiency I think we're all ears.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Have you been on the White Rim Road before? I ask because when I did it for the first time I was stopping very frequently because of how stunning everything was (coming from Wisconsin everything around there is stunning and required stops). If you will be making frequent stops, just be mindful of the climate control so that it isn't unnecessarily running with windows and doors open. There is a forum member who took a trip in Washington and used up a surprising amount of battery with some off road driving because of frequent stops and getting in and out while climate control was running for the dogs. Of course temperature plays a factor as well.

It is discussed briefly in the first post here: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ange-charging-and-driver-reports-in-r1t.3992/

Range

Our first leg was 139 miles to Leavenworth via I-90 and US-97 in All-Purpose mode. The Rivian nav initially said we would arrive with 39 miles on the range meter, but after a few miles at freeway speeds, it adjusted this projection down to 28 miles. After the initial adjustment, it moved between 28 and 30; and we arrived in Leavenworth reading 29 miles on the range meter.

So 139 miles of driving, probably half at 70mph, including two mountain passes and ending 1100' higher than starting, used 159 miles from the range meter.

From Leavenworth, we drove up to Lake Wenatchee and found an icy, muddy dirt road. We didn't take detailed interval logs here, but it is worth noting that when we returned to the highway, our efficiency had dropped to below 0.8 miles per kWh. We were going slow, stopping for photos, running the dogs, and running the climate the whole time. But yikes.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Slower speeds should equal less energy use, not more. The biggest energy loss you suffer when moving is from air resistance, which increases exponentially with speed. Slippery surfaces might cost you some power as the wheels are constantly adjusting traction, but it should be negligable.

I don't know that you can do 300 miles going 5mph, but you can definitely do more miles going 5mph than you can going 50.

EDIT: Yes, the R1s will do what you want them to. If my R1T can't do 120ish miles of light offroading, then I'm going to be telling Rivian they failed at their mission to produce an adventure vehicle.

South

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I’m actually planning this trip for June this year—I’ve got an April/May estimated delivery and already have the White Rim overnight permits. There’s a Rivian L2 charger at the nearby Under Canvas glamping site near the trailhead we’re planning to utilize to get to 100% SoC.

Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I’m actually planning this trip for June this year—I’ve got an April/May estimated delivery and already have the White Rim overnight permits. There’s a Rivian L2 charger at the nearby Under Canvas glamping site near the trailhead we’re planning to utilize to get to 100% SoC.
You'll probably be fine, but be mindful of the fact that the Rivian chargers at the Under Canvas site are for Under Canvas guests only. You can faintly see that the signs they are adding say "Under Canvas Guests Only" in small letters under "Vehicle Charging".

Who knows whether that is actually enforced though.

Rivian R1T R1S Large pack - Enough range to complete the White Rim Road? erson_Waypoints_Moab_1173_FINAL-RX.-e1642618262393

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Takes a while to get a tow truck out there. By the time they get there, you'd be done charging and gone.

South

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

You'll probably be fine, but be mindful of the fact that the Rivian chargers at the Under Canvas site are for Under Canvas guests only. You can faintly see that the signs they are adding say "Under Canvas Guests Only" in small letters under "Vehicle Charging".

Who knows whether that is actually enforced though.

erson_Waypoints_Moab_1173_FINAL-RX.-e1642618262393.jpg
Yeah, I think we’ll plan to stay the night too just before—looks like a pretty cool place!

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Only one 50A charger in Moab I hear ?

OP
OP

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

Good to know about the Rivian chargers at Under Canvas. Might be worth staying there to start with a full charge!

Actually just checked their site and looks like they start at $249-$304 per night depending on the season, so maybe not...
Sponsored