Sponsored

Large pack - Enough range to complete the White Rim Road?

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
I’m actually planning this trip for June this year—I’ve got an April/May estimated delivery and already have the White Rim overnight permits. There’s a Rivian L2 charger at the nearby Under Canvas glamping site near the trailhead we’re planning to utilize to get to 100% SoC.
That's great to hear you're going to do this. We'd be very interested in hearing how it goes for you.
We booked a short stay at Under Canvas; $$ but will be great to finally have a place to shower after several days of MTB, celebrate our anniversary and charge. With luck we'll get the overnight permits once they open for Sept.

I had also read this on the Rivian Membership page for final peace of mind.
"For extra peace of mind, Rivian off-Roadside Assistance is additional coverage that includes Adventure Extraction, where we’ll send a recovery vehicle if you get stuck on the trail; and Charge Assurance, where we’ll send help to get you recharged if you travel out of range."
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I don't know that you can do 300 miles going 5mph, but you can definitely do more miles going 5mph than you can going 50.
The data from my Tesla does not back you up on that. Efficiency at 5MPH is quite bad. Much worse than 50MPH. I do think it is quite surprising that I am most efficient at 60MPH.

I agree with your analysis of wind drag. But other factors are also clearly impacting efficiency.

Climate control (heat / AC use about the same amount of power at every speed) and Acceleration (I tend to be accelerating when traveling 5MPH) are probably big factors that are impacting this data.

Rivian R1T R1S Large pack - Enough range to complete the White Rim Road? 1648654378165

In this chart the "Efficiency %" is the % of EPA rated range I am getting at each speed.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

FYI conflicting plugshare reviews reyarding under canvas, one person said the chargers were gone and they were offered an extension cord; seems strange. One more recent review said the chargers were still free.

South

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Only one 50A charger in Moab I hear ?
Hoping this changes soon with the RAN, would be an oversight to skimp on Moab.

That's great to hear you're going to do this. We'd be very interested in hearing how it goes for you.
We booked a short stay at Under Canvas; $$ but will be great to finally have a place to shower after several days of MTB, celebrate our anniversary and charge. With luck we'll get the overnight permits once they open for Sept.

I had also read this on the Rivian Membership page for final peace of mind.
"For extra peace of mind, Rivian off-Roadside Assistance is additional coverage that includes Adventure Extraction, where we’ll send a recovery vehicle if you get stuck on the trail; and Charge Assurance, where we’ll send help to get you recharged if you travel out of range."
Great find, North. I’ll definitely keep you all posted on how it goes—June feels like an eternity from now. Did you have a particular camp spot in mind? We went with white crack having never been there before.

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
Hoping this changes soon with the RAN, would be an oversight to skimp on Moab.

Great find, North. I’ll definitely keep you all posted on how it goes—June feels like an eternity from now. Did you have a particular camp spot in mind? We went with white crack having never been there before.
My thanks, South, in advance for any learnings. Hey, June is just around the corner! We feel like Sept. is a year away. Hoping to have our R1T, camp kitchen and iKamper by Sept.

We're planning to break the trail into thirds, camping two nights. TBH we don't have specific sites targeted b/c I fear they are going to go so fast we'll just have to take what we can get. I hope I'm wrong, though. We already lost out on trying to reserve Needles Campground; they were all gone instantly at opening. I saw White Crack and looks great; a bit off the beaten path which should be beautiful.

Are you going to do the trail in two days, then? Have you been there before?

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
If you enter or leave by highway 279 (potash road) you save a few miles and the climb/decent of highway 313 and the Shafer switchbacks, but with the extra miles of gravel it might actually use more energy. If you finish the trail with plenty of energy, long canyon is a cool way to get back to town.

A lot of the white rim trail is fairly flat so if you keep rolling along at 10-30 mph the energy use shouldn't be horrible. The trail isn't so bad that you have to worry about a lot of energy loss from tire slip.

I'm also going to try to get permits for October but I'll still be in my 4runner. I've done the trail twice but both times were in one day (once biking, once driving) and more time on the trail would be nice.

If anyone is nervous about their range on Moab trails I live relatively close and if the timing works I could possibly be out there at the same time (and I would love to check out a vehicle in person!). Looking forward to some trail reports!

Here's a fun spot in long canyon:
Rivian R1T R1S Large pack - Enough range to complete the White Rim Road? 20160323_095117

Last edited:

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I believe the new rules are you can only get a permit in town 24 hours in advance.

Rivian R1T R1S Large pack - Enough range to complete the White Rim Road? IMG_6239

South

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

My thanks, South, in advance for any learnings. Hey, June is just around the corner! We feel like Sept. is a year away. Hoping to have our R1T, camp kitchen and iKamper by Sept.

We're planning to break the trail into thirds, camping two nights. TBH we don't have specific sites targeted b/c I fear they are going to go so fast we'll just have to take what we can get. I hope I'm wrong, though. We already lost out on trying to reserve Needles Campground; they were all gone instantly at opening. I saw White Crack and looks great; a bit off the beaten path which should be beautiful.

Yeah, 2 days is the plan. Would be my first time.

Thanks for the tip @JeremyP , we may have more questions as we do our research.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ahh - day use permits are 24 hours @ 8AM - camping permits are different it seems, thanks.

Sponsored

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
Wow, looks great. On car range, on the road there's no doubt that lower speeds are more efficient of course, but maybe there's some efficiency at slightly higher than 10. There are lots of long range tesla max range results going 25 or 35, such as https://www.forbes.com/sites/brooke...l-s-world-record-452-miles-on-a-single-charge. It's hard to say what the expected range would be with all the different factors there, heat, going slower, but much more resistance, up and down. I'll be glad for a brave soul to do it ahead of me.

This route looks fantastic, I've never seen it. When I lived in Tucson we went on several visits there, such a great area to visit. Riding my mountain bike on the sandy hills was great.

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
Good to know about the Rivian chargers at Under Canvas. Might be worth staying there to start with a full charge!

Actually just checked their site and looks like they start at $249-$304 per night depending on the season, so maybe not...
Disappointing that Rivian would allow these to be restricted such that Rivian owners can't use them without paying $300 for a fancy tent. Not exactly "adventurous" imo.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Currently on a con call at work researching permits and availability for the White Rim trail :)

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

FYI conflicting plugshare reviews reyarding under canvas, one person said the chargers were gone and they were offered an extension cord; seems strange. One more recent review said the chargers were still free.
The Under Canvas site actually lists them by name on their site, so something's out of whack:

"Charge any electric vehicle on our Rivian Waypoints electric vehicle charging stations"

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist

Which iKamper are you going with? I'm concerned the skycamp mini ladder will conflict with the camp kitchen. It seems you can't get one that opens to the driver's side...
Sponsored