Knocking noise in the rear of quad motor R1S after parking

BradSholl

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, BMW M3, GMC Yukon
Has anyone else experienced a knocking or tapping noise in the rear of their quad motor R1S after placing it in park and exiting the vehicle? Happens for a few seconds, then stops. I have a little over 6000 miles on my vehicle, road only.

Sponsored

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

Yes. Mine has done that from the beginning. It's usually when I'm driving into/out of the driveway, and it does it when parked occasionally. Kinda sounds like tapping on a small pot, or a cowbell with a sock in it. I will just ignore it until something breaks I guess. I would like to know what it is though.

More cowbell?

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Sounds like it’s your air ride components. Do you have kneel mode active on your Rivian?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Bad fuel injector, spark plugs, or just bad gas are the usual knock culprits.

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

Sounds like it’s your air ride components. Do you have kneel mode active on your Rivian?
I don't use kneel very often on mine. I wonder if the rear clutch might make some noise. I might play with conserve mode a little to see if does anything. Just a guess. Mine makes the noise maybe 1/3 rd of my drives.

Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Its the air suspension as others have said.

superfly_snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Glacier White
I would guess solenoids opening/closing valves in the air system, like others have said.

OP
OP

BradSholl

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, BMW M3, GMC Yukon
I do, but that’s a different sound as the vehicle settles and this seems isolated to the driver rear corner and continues well after the vehicle has completed kneeling.

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
I do, but that’s a different sound as the vehicle settles and this seems isolated to the driver rear corner and continues well after the vehicle has completed kneeling.
🤔 I would just put in a ticket and see what they say.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Has anyone else experienced a knocking or tapping noise in the rear of their quad motor R1S after placing it in park and exiting the vehicle? Happens for a few seconds, then stops. I have a little over 6000 miles on my vehicle, road only.

My vote is valves on the air suspension opening and closing under pressure. It's always difficult to get a sense of how loud things in videos are in reality. Mine and others do the same thing, but not in an "omg that's loud" sort of way.

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1940 Chevy EV conversion, 2017 Challenger (daily)
Occupation
Consultant
Definitely sounds like valves or relays opening and closing. Almost sounds like contactors, but I don't know where those are on a Rivian, and unlikely that they're somewhere that the noise could be heard that clearly.

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

It sounds like air suspension to me. Whenever I have my ride height at “auto”, which is most of the time I hear that when I park.

If I had it at lowest setting, I would rarely hear it when parked; sometimes in the middle.