Kia EV9 Specs are out

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Just sad and embarrassing. A 76kwh standard range battery? A 99.8kwh max pack? A 9.4 second 0-60 on the only version that can potentially eke out almost 300 miles EPA? Well, that is dead on arrival.

If only, if only RIvian could get production up they would absolutely dominate this market - especially with the dual motor design.
Regardless of what happens with the EV9, the dual motor standard battery R1S should still be a huge success (maybe the best seller among all R1 variations), especially if Rivian can keep its starting price under $80k. It's the R1S I'd get if I were ordering now. 260+ miles of range is plenty (unless you regularly drive more than 200 miles a day), and you can charge the LFP battery to 100% every day without hurting it.
Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Slightly slower than our Volt was. Which the last time I drove it and dropped the hammer was "holy shit I'm gonna die" slow, but when we first got it seemed pretty reasonable. If you never drive really fast vehicles you don't really understand how bad you have it.
It is all relative. A car this size doing 6 seconds is quick by any reasonable measure and it was not that long ago when 8-10 seconds was typical for a normal vehicle. Most people who drive family haulers don’t need or use super car speeds.

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I'm always shocked at how many people want a 7 seat car, but apparently it's a big market. This looks like a good option for those people.

Most of the people cross shopping this and the R1S aren't going off road in their R1S anyway.
It's amazing how fast seats fill up... We're in the market for 7seats in a few years. I'll be really happy when there's more options (especially the ID.BUZZ. :D ) we've got small children, and eventually we'll be doing 'soccer dad' duties and ferrying friends around...

Tflev has a video talking about the EV9, and what blew my mind when talking about similar vehicles is they didn't remember the R1S is a 3 row suv even though they had one to test! I feel like they purposely 'forget' facts sometimes.
TFL really frustrates me most of the time. They've got some good videos, but other times (especially the videos with Andre) it's like watching the three stooges talk about cars. They can't possibly be that ignorant about the products they're testing and so knowledgeable about other things...

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Just sad and embarrassing. A 76kwh standard range battery? A 99.8kwh max pack? A 9.4 second 0-60 on the only version that can potentially eke out almost 300 miles EPA? Well, that is dead on arrival.

If only, if only RIvian could get production up they would absolutely dominate this market - especially with the dual motor design.
EV9 is not, by Kia's statement, an adventure vehicle. It just has some visuals to give the appearance of ruggedness.

If you look at the details of the vehicle, like how the doors open with much lower sill and rear seats that rotate, its a MINIVAN without a sliding doors.

So that said, the performance is fine and while the range is lacking, that too will suffice for soccer moms/dads for in town shuttling.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Every EV manufacturer should be focusing on trucks and SUVs, just as Rivian is doing. I mean, if you look at the sales numbers in the U.S., the numbers are very strong for SUV and trucks. SUVs alone account for more than 50% of the new car market. Combined SUVs and trucks are almost 75% of the market.

Look at Tesla.....in my opinion, the Model Y barely even qualifies as an SUV (it's more of a slightly taller Model 3 to me) and yet it's still their number one selling vehicle.

I really think Rivian nailed it by going after the truck and SUV market. Too bad it's taking so long for everyone else to get there. We need more electric SUV options for sure.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Range is the big disappointment here. Acceleration isn't important for my wife, and the size looks pretty good. I think 280-300 miles with AWD is the bare minimum for this size/segment of vehicle for our uses. My wife's RWD ID.4 is 260 miles, and that works, but it is nice to have a little more margin for winter trips (for which we currently don't take her car) and with more people.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

R1S pre-March pricing for the win

Sponsored

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

MotorTrend seems to be redefining all the segments and making up new ones as they along. After all, the Ioniq 5 won SUV of the year. :rolleyes:

“Entering an entirely new segment, Kia is first in the non-luxury electric three-row SUV space.”

How are they defining “non-luxury” these days? Solely by price or by actual luxurious amenities? If by price, apparently ~$73k is the cutoff, and anything more means luxury automatically?

ironmanihp

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Just placed reservation for EV9 too. Have R1S configuration e mail I am sitting on for a few more weeks.

Anyone know where you can see the interior color choices for the EV9? Everything on line is from all sorts of auto shows and nothing official.

Hoping Iceburg Green is not sea foam green but darker.

Killer feature is the captain chairs in the 2nd row for my wife and our big dog. I prefer the R1S and the longer range. Still a coin toss, but the $10k savings on Kia is helping it inch our the Riv.