Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread truck-current

Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread 9CD0C062-4BC9-46C5-B6DC-3E24C16251D3

Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread IMG_3872

Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread IMG_3880

Things that didn't come with the truck but are now on the truck:

Aesthetic/Exterior:
1. Lamin-x amber film on fog lights
2. Brain exploder emblem vinyl blackout kit
3. Builtrite license plate holder (I snapped off a plastic one crossing a river:
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread rivian_splash
)

Electrical:
1. s00nish ditch light bracket
2. Midland MXTA26 GMRS antenna
3. Midland MXT575 GMRS radio (in cab)
4. Abstract Ocean roof glass sunshade

Camping:
1. iKamper mini (version 2)
2. 3x aliexpress 50w solar panels
3. Ecoflow delta2
4. Cheapo amazon fridge that just won't die

Non-vehicular:
1. custom keyfob
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread IMG_3919
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
k3g

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
GMRS Radio Install:
For the radio, I wanted a minimal install with no drilling. I'm unfortunately working on a really tight timeline to get things installed, so I made one sacrifice: I'm pinching the antenna cable in the a door seal, which isn't the best move for long term. I'll find a firewall grommet and route it through later this year when I have more time, probably.

For the antenna mount, I used the s00nish ditch light bracket, paired with an NMO cable:
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread IMG_4154

I routed the antenna cable into the cab through the body trim around the A pillar base:
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread IMG_4160

Here's my temporary wire routing into the cabin:
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread IMG_4165

You can pull the interior panels out along the door to tuck the antenna cable under down the passenger side of the vehicle, exiting just behind the passenger seat. From there I just ran the cable under the floor matt, to the radio base below the passenger info screen.

For mounting the base unit, a few strips of auto grade vhb did the trick nicely:
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread IMG_4170

For now I've got a panel mount ethernet extension just kinda loosely run up to the center cubby area, where I've got the handset:
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread IMG_4167

You can also see the cable I made and sleeved coming from my 12v port back to the radio for power.

At some point I'll find a cleaner spot to mount the panel extension.

Probably.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Where did you get the custom key fob?

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I made it!
Take my money! I've been searching for a way to change my fob so I can identify between mine and the wife's fob.

Sponsored

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Looking good! I was going to ask the same question about the keyfob! Been waiting for builtright to come out with their solution...

If you want to clean up that antenna install, you can easily go through the grommet in the firewall.

I just went through my own MXT575 install.

Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread IMG_2735

Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread IMG_2737

Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread IMG_2739

OP
OP
k3g

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
Looks like your cabin side exit is in the upper left corner of the passenger footwell?

I’ll definitely route my antenna cable there, thanks for the pointer! It may have to wait until after a big trip I’m heading out on.

Keyfob mods will be for sale at some point.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Nicely done. Love seeing these pics and clips. The lower pic looks like a creek bed from the zoom out thumbnail.

Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread 1686324998339

Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread 1686325063853

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Looks like your cabin side exit is in the upper left corner of the passenger footwell?

I’ll definitely route my antenna cable there, thanks for the pointer! It may have to wait until after a big trip I’m heading out on.

Keyfob mods will be for sale at some point.
Yes, you just remove the 2 screws in that deepest panel in passenger footwell, and it just pops out. Mind the knee airbag that's down there.

You'll need to poke a hole (I used a coat hanger) through one of the grommets. I used one of the ones on top. Then just reach your hand up into that area in the footwell to grab the coat hanger. I taped the cable to the hanger and used silicone spray to help it go through the grommet.

MUCH easier than I envisioned... mostly because I had no idea what to expect on this new truck.

Can't wait for keyfob to be available. I'll be a buyer!

lawmangm

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara
Occupation
Sales Director
Clubs

I love the solar on the RTT. How much energy are you getting, and/or what are you powering with it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
k3g

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
I love the solar on the RTT. How much energy are you getting, and/or what are you powering with it?
It's 3x 50w panels! So in peak sun, it'll theoretically get 150w, but the reality is it pulls less than that.

I've spliced in my own cabling to run an extended cable down to an XT60, that plugs into a Delta2 by Ecoflow. From that delta2 I run a cheapo electric fridge in my truck bed. It's a great setup for longer roadtrips and camping, no ice!

On a previous trip up into the rainy grey northern California coast I was able to maintain ~60w coming in all the time, which was plenty to keep the battery above 90% the whole trip. The lowest it got was probably 92%, despite me also using the battery for drone charging while at camp.

If I ever use too much juice, I always have the option of quick charging it (it charges at 2kw!) from the r1's bed outlets, but so far I haven't needed to do that.

OP
OP
k3g

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
Do you have any picture of the solar panel setup?
I don't right now, but I'll take some pictures next week when I load the truck up for a trip.

OP
OP
k3g

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
Camp Kitchen: ✅
A long project, this one. It's not quite finished, but it's far enough along that I'll show it off. I started this quest for a camp kitchen with my wallet. I went to Rivian's site, really hoping some day it would show up for sale. But alas, my hopes of benefiting off the efforts of others dashed to the rocks, I sought out to make my own. Because if they won't sell one to me, I'll sure as hell sell one to me.

Step 1: Get a decent model. I scanned my truck's gear tunnel with my iPhone. The mesh looked kinda like this:
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 7.32.16 PM

Let's be clear: This scan is pretty damn bad. But it's not bad enough to not be useful. So, a bit of CAD later, and we're off to v1 Kitchen existing in conceptual space!
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread Screenshot_2023-05-21_at_6.05.18_PM

The body will be comprised of bent laser cut sheet steel, riveted together using an air rivet gun I've grown to love., The top counters will be 3/4ish thick wood of some kind, and all the cool hardware like drawer slides and table latches are COTS. Quite a bit of areas were left without holes because steel is a forgiving mistress, and I really don't know some of the dimensions.

Time for step 2: Thow money at some industrial vendors (shoutout to the homey oshcut for existing)

I ordered my parts from mostly McMaster, but a few parts were much cheaper on Amazon, enough that I caved. Specifically the 500lb 60" drawer slides that locked open and closed. In hindsight, I shouldn't have saved money there. That's kind of one of the most important features of the whole thing, and I missed on that one. The side effect of cheap slides, even when braced properly, is slop. That slop manifests as rather large lateral wiggle in the kitchen, which is only partially mitigated by cramming a tripod underneath it, wedging upwards, and cursing my cheapness.

I used OshCut for cutting steel. If you know how to design sheet metal, and have basic hand tools, learn to love our lord and crisply laser-burnt metal savior. It's easy to go from shitty phone scan, to haphazardly design CAD, to parts in hand:
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread IMG_4093

Although I work in a lab, my home really is not a lab. I made the best use of the space I have, and managed to make something neat. Don't let not having a youtuber level workshop slow you down: Make weird shit.

Step 3: Curse yourself a fair bit, angle grinder goes BRRRR

Remember how we forgot intentionally left a lot of hole to be done in-situ? Well, now we'll curse how many "oops, I put it together but forgot about <step three steps ago>" moments are about to go down. Overall it still went together smoothly, I only had to cut away one section of the lower baseplate that the whole kitchen sits on top of.
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread IMG_4095

Step 4: How the f*&k does this fit in here again

Here's how the main shuttle anchors into the tunnel:
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread 05B4D6E8-FD6D-4925-893B-1573192CC3B3_1_105_c

There's a pair of bent parts that anchor into some screws under the bottom trim just inside the tunnel. On the upright of each (slides have a direction! rtfm!) section is the main slide, my aforementioned sloppy amazon cheapos. On top of those slides goes this belly pan, here:
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread CFB9675A-46DE-48B6-A732-8399F20769E8_1_105_c

On top of that is where the kitchen kits. The kitchen is made of four of these ribs:
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread 87A77D17-6416-4CA8-AB38-7E618B7BB5BF_1_105_c

And suspended between those ribs is the drawer setup.
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread 223E51FA-A642-4EA5-AD81-70AD1BFA47F6_1_105_c

Step 5: Put it all together and get ready to use it:

The whole assembly went together relatively well. I've got a boatload of learnings from building this that I'll definitely be applying to a version two. I'm about to head out on a two.5 week road trip to Colorado and back, so this will really get a workout. Without further ado, the Kitchen:
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread 09C6A0EC-CF0E-47A3-A0EA-33343AABD38E_1_105_c

Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread A880FCBE-4702-4C08-AC71-5E0900238E9C_1_105_c
Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread 39195708-76A2-482A-AF41-678CEFE73D5B_1_105_c

Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread 109FAC08-F388-41CE-8A94-B6C2B7115145_1_105_c

Rivian R1T R1S k3g's R1T build thread 71E63F2C-BA00-4533-9646-79A66484D243_1_105_c
Sponsored