First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Desk jockey
Coming from a Model S as my daily driver with a Yukon XL for road trips. Wife has a Model Y.

Have been driving an R1S for about a week.

The R1S is smaller than I imagined. It's a decent-sized 3 row SUV but it's no Yukon that's for sure. That means if you're using all three rows, nobody is going to be super comfortable. But it's much more comfortable than the Model Y.

As fit and finish goes I am very pleased so far. I think it's a very good combination of luxury and utility. I don't want a plush, shiny "luxury" interior but I also think Tesla takes it too far in the other direction. My R1S has some nice frills and is put together well. I think it's nicer than the Yukon.
I'm in the same boat as the OP and I think that is the comparison I'm looking for - what is the current ICE vehicle that the R1S should line up with. Sounds like it's not a Mercedes. Sounds like its closer to a high end Yukon or maybe a 3-row Explorer. I think it's fair to expect a certain level of luxury at an $85K price point but I guess, at the same time, it's fair to understand the trade off is the off road capability.

But I'm carrying three kids in car seats and looking at this as a people mover, not an off-road vehicle. It's the only real SUV out there with 3-rows other than the model X (what my wife is driving now) so it's much more competitive than that on price. But should we just wait another year for everyone else to catch up? If the F-150Lightning is a $50-60K car I think it's reasonable to expect an expedition or explorer electric for a similar price range. {edit} Ooh, and wait for something with captains chairs in the second row. Our Model X has second row captains chairs and it makes the third row so much more accessible for our kids. I'd almost rather put three carseats across than have to fold down a second row bench to get to the third row . . . so then why have the third row.

But picklebill makes a good point, I'm hauling kids and a big dog so the interior is only going to be nice for so long.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Better Late than Never

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Desk jockey
Thanks for the 'comment', although I'm not over 50, nor one swayed by brands. Also please don't take my comments as complaining, merely commenting on my perception based on my expectation never having seen the vehicle in person before and asking for feedback from others for their experiences. I also have three kids, and mentioned the legroom for passengers, as my kids are teens. Sorry it struck such a nerve. :)
It's pretty fair, and straightforward, to judge the interior and determien it is inferior to a mercedes or many other vehicles. third row manual or automatic? manual. Second row captains chairs? no.
I'm in the same boat as the OP and I think that is the comparison I'm looking for - what is the current ICE vehicle that the R1S should line up with. Sounds like it's not a Mercedes. Sounds like its closer to a high end Yukon or maybe a 3-row Explorer. I think it's fair to expect a certain level of luxury at an $85K price point but I guess, at the same time, it's fair to understand the trade off is the off road capability.

But I'm carrying three kids in car seats and looking at this as a people mover, not an off-road vehicle. It's the only real SUV out there with 3-rows other than the model X (what my wife is driving now) so it's much more competitive than that on price. But should we just wait another year for everyone else to catch up? If the F-150Lightning is a $50-60K car I think it's reasonable to expect an expedition or explorer electric for a similar price range. {edit} Ooh, and wait for something with captains chairs in the second row. Our Model X has second row captains chairs and it makes the third row so much more accessible for our kids. I'd almost rather put three carseats across than have to fold down a second row bench to get to the third row . . . so then why have the third row.

But picklebill makes a good point, I'm hauling kids and a big dog so the interior is only going to be nice for so long.
Rivian R1S Family Review - Car Seat, Stroller, Vents, Interior Space, & More
Rivian R1T R1S Just test drove R1S, interior trim quality/ passenger room DnFdFftJnseuMKRRtfLoVm1I=s48-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-r
Out of Spec Reviews

145K subscribers

Sorry to hammer text this chain but this youtube video is exactly what I'm talking about. Doing this in the morning or in a busy pick-up/drop-off line is taxing. And to the point of the OP, the front seat is super tight when you're in front of a carseat.

Gonna have to wait for the ID Buzz I guess. That may be more my speed.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I'm at a point in life where I can pretty much afford any car I could desire. I'm also at a point where I can't hyperobsess over carpet quality. While I've certainly owned vehicles with more "luxurious" interiors, my wife appreciates the animal-free nature of interior materials. Overall, I don't feel any disappointment and our friends - who have similarly owned higher-end cars - haven't had any negative comments.

Viperssd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Audi Q7, Tesla Model 3
We just did our test drive as well, having had a pathfinder - q7 - gls - x7....
Interior bits were fine, I only didn't really like the steering wheel size, wish it was a bit meatier. Otherwise I was disappointed by the ride quality and the noise. The x7 has insulated glass and is a very quiet interior even with the dino engine. Even then, it was ok and livable.

The ride quality though in all purpose with 22s was surprisingly unsettled....much more than I expected. Is this something they're still working on with all the reviews comparing the T and the S?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The interior of my R1T has reminded me of our Modern XC60 both stylistically and general quality. Better in some areas, and not quite as good in others.

While bringing up the Yukon, I personally don't like the interior styling of it at all, and think the screen looks fairly... outdated. Obviously personal preference. That being said, an AT4 with the premium plus package ends up at about $81.5k. The Yukon is obviously larger than an R1S anymore, but at the same time, there's *a lot* that the R1S does better. So it's really a give and take. Point being... $85k doesn't get you nearly as far as people have in their head anymore, even for ICE vehicles.

If folks want a more refined... compact SUV or SUV the best answers seem to be an iX or an EQS SUV.

Last edited:

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
The interior of my R1T has reminded me of our Modern XC60 both stylistically and general quality. Better in some areas, and not quite as good in others.

While bringing up the Yukon, I personally don't like the interior styling of it at all, and think the screen looks fairly... outdated. Obviously personal preference. That being said, an AT4 with the premium plus package ends up at about $81.5k. The Yukon is obviously larger than an R1S anymore, but at the same time, there's *a lot* that the R1S does better. So it's really a give and take. Point being... $85k doesn't get you nearly as far as people have in their head anymore, even for ICE vehicles.

If folks want a more refined... compact SUV or SUV the best answers seem to be an iX or an EQS SUV.
And you will save 10k in gas and maintenance over 8 years in Rivian vs. Yukon. 300 miles of range on home charge is $15 in high cost of living area. DC fast charging 205 miles is $40.

My CRV was 40 for 2/3 of tank when gas was reasonable.
Sponsored