Sponsored

Just reserved

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I just reserved a R1S. I should have done it earlier in the year but was debating spending this much on a first Gen when it has all the bugs that need to get fixed. But I figured it’s fully refundable. It didn’t tell me when I am supposed to order and when the car will be delivered. How do I know when delivery will be?

Can I order running boards as I have family that need it?

I didn’t see options like auto drive like Teslas autopilot or 360 cameras. Is that all standard features?

I’m excited nonetheless.
Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I just reserved a R1S. I should have done it earlier in the year but was debating spending this much on a first Gen when it has all the bugs that need to get fixed. But I figured it’s fully refundable. It didn’t tell me when I am supposed to order and when the car will be delivered. How do I know when delivery will be?

I didn’t see options like auto drive like Teslas autopilot or 360 cameras. Is that all standard features?

I’m excited nonetheless.
Hey! If you email customer service, they will answer some of this, but they are not always accurate. Also, people here (myself included) are not always accurate.

Here we go:

1. You don't know when delivery will be. They are saying they will start launch edition R1s delivery in December (probably employees) with the goal of finishing that in June 2022. For a 'normal' R1s, we don't know. Sometime starting in 2022 and on. My guess late 2022 or 2023.

2. Right now, not from Rivian. Their will probably be an aftermarket mfg that will sell them at some point.

3. Driver + is standard, which seems like it is basically lane keep on select highways. Eventually they want to have the ability to do things like an autopilot (probably more limited) but it is not clear if you would have to pay for that or not. Pre S-1 IPO filing I would have said they won't charge, but he S-1 (a filing) suggests they will be charging for something like that.

Good luck and enjoy. I had chance to drive an R1T for the first mile event. It blew me away. I ordered in Spring 2019 and feel like it is worth the wait, to the extent a car is even worth caring about.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
How do I know when delivery will be?
No one knows, really.

I'd say that a year from now would be a super-optimistic best-case scenario. Could be 2023 and some pessimists would say 2024, even.

Not from Rivian, no. You may not actually need them, either. Rivian includes air suspension, standard, so the vehicle can enter "kneel mode" and make it much lower to aide entry.

Rivian has Driver+. Their website describes it. It's pretty basic as far as autonomous functions go. It doesn't do nearly as much as what Tesla claims.

There is no 360 camera, currently. There are lots of camera views you can pull up, but nothing stitches together a "top-down" view like other manufacturers, unfortunately.

OP
OP

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So they offer Lane assist. What about auto braking if you get too close to a car or if a car cuts in front of you?

You could reserve as early as 2019?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So they offer Lane assist. What about auto braking if you get too close to a car or if a car cuts in front of you?
Yes, there is both adaptive cruise control and automatic emergency braking, standard.

You could reserve as early as 2019?
2018, I believe.

Sponsored

OP
OP

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
What is the underbody shield? I didn’t order that since I do not plan to take it off-road so don’t think I’ll ever need the tow hooks that come with the $2k option. So without the underbody shield, is it just open?

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
What is the underbody shield? I didn’t order that since I do not plan to take it off-road so don’t think I’ll ever need the tow hooks that come with the $2k option. So without the underbody shield, is it just open?
No, it still has significant coverage, the offroad package makes the shielding (as best we can tell) total underbody (and probably adds some extra reinforcement, but we don't really know for sure).

If you aren't going off road, and don't need tow hooks, you will be fine to skip it.

OP
OP

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I’m debating on the spare tire for $450. I usually get run flat tires. In your opinions, are there must have options?

BradSomrak

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘16 Jeep.
Occupation
Atty.
Delayed until May-July 22. I’m probably looking at mid to late 23.
I would imagine. I would fully expect that late 2021 reservations will be mid to late 2023 deliveries. Rivian, in their most recent S1 amendment, indicated a goal of “late 2023“ for clearing all of the placed preorders. I would expect the S1 would represent their most realistic timetables.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I’m debating on the spare tire for $450. I usually get run flat tires. In your opinions, are there must have options?
You may be able to just get a tire repair kit and fix a puncture yourself, especially with the onboard air compressor. But I've had at least 3 flat tires the last 10 years, luckily all were discovered in my driveway. Pennsylvania roads. I'll gladly take a spare. No experience with run flats. I honestly don't know if you can do run flats with trucks/SUVs, especially with what these weigh.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Couple of things.

Running board may not be necessary, evenjhough you say you need it. The ground clearance can be as low as 8~9 inches (think of just higher than a compact SUV or CUV). It can go up much higher but air suspension can adjust the height.

Spare tire is a must in my book. I own Tesla Model 3 and does not come with, so did go out and bought a space saver spare that I keep in the boot. Not a fan of run flat choices.

As for run flat, you'll quickly find that the only tire made in Rivian street tire sizes (both 21 and 22") are Pirelli Scorpion Zero custom made for Rivian's. Don't know about 20" off road setup but for street, there is no run flat option available as of now.

I am hoping that enough people cancel (since there are only ~60k preorders and say 25~33% cancels), that my recent R1S AE order will be filled in a year time - give or take few months there of. I say this because I was waitlisted about 196K on Model 3 with delivery date between Nov 2018 to Feb 2019 but the vehicle was delivered in July 2018 - First full year of production.

Since this is second time around for new vehicle preordered prior to production start for me, everything that is happening was/is expected. It is par for the course, as it were....
Sponsored