Sponsored

I've given up

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

So I am not going to cancel my order. Instead, sometime after I get my 8-steps notification, and only before I absolutely have to pay for the Rivian, will I cancel. This is my F-You back to them. I know it's minor, I know they don't really care and will just move my reservation to the next one in line but it's the only little thing I can do. After all, if I cancel now, then RJ, Sandy, and others can just point to my cancellation as evidence that pushing deliveries out for us is working. I am not going to give them that little bit of satisfaction.
Yeah, as you say F-you, they'll say thank you as they sell it to the next guy for the 20% higher price point.

And, your delay probably has more to do with location than anything. They are hesitant to sell vehicles in areas they can't service. Other's have "jumped the line" because of location. I got mine earlier than expected too and I paid original pricing. So, had nothing to do with them moving later priced orders ahead. I'm close to a service center
Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
This post pains me a lot to write, but...

I got my R1S reservation in December '21, and was told then to expect a 2nd half - 23 delivery. Then the next iteration of delivery schedules come out in October (I believe), and it slips to first half of '24. Then, last months delivery schedule announcement pushes it out to 2nd half of 24, of which I now expect to be November- December of 24, at the earliest.

On top of my anticipated three year wait, I see that many new reservation holders have jumped the line, in Rivian's attempt to generate higher revenue per vehicle. I would love to have a Rivian, and I love the looks of them as I see them driving down the road. But, you know, life moves on, and I have found better things to do with my money, and I agreed with my wife that maybe we should forego the Rivian in favor of those things.

So I am not going to take the Rivian. I am really ticked off at Rivian because of this. IMO, these pushbacks have been Riv's way of saying to us pre-price increase orders "Yes, you can have your Rivian, but F-You, you'll get it when we want you to get it, and only after everyone else gets theirs." I feel part of their motivation is to push these out as long as possible to force us either to cancel, or ship only when it is convenient for them.

So I am not going to cancel my order. Instead, sometime after I get my 8-steps notification, and only before I absolutely have to pay for the Rivian, will I cancel. This is my F-You back to them. I know it's minor, I know they don't really care and will just move my reservation to the next one in line but it's the only little thing I can do. After all, if I cancel now, then RJ, Sandy, and others can just point to my cancellation as evidence that pushing deliveries out for us is working. I am not going to give them that little bit of satisfaction.
Elon called. He wants to cancel your CT order unless you pay full price up front.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Yeah, as you say F-you, they'll say thank you as they sell it to the next guy for the 20% higher price point.

And, your delay probably has more to do with location than anything. They are hesitant to sell vehicles in areas they can't service. Other's have "jumped the line" because of location. I got mine earlier than expected too and I paid original pricing. So, had nothing to do with them moving later priced orders ahead. I'm close to a service center
May be correct for R1Ts but we have not seen same for R1S. We live less than 15 miles from service center and have been pushed back a year. I understand from Rivian CS folks that demand for the T is well down vs S so that is probably why.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Isn't almost "everyone" a pre-March priced pre-order?

Has someone collected all the instances of someone ordering after March and getting a vehicle?

It seems to me there must be tens of thousands of pre-March priced pre-orders and Rivian has built maybe 20K R1Ts. They've been getting built in batch, so they're arriving out of sequence. I don't know that the "near a service center" criterion is applied. I'm 20 minutes from two service centers and my pre-IPO R1S order is "late 2024" now.

I already have the R1T and I would rather wait for Rivian to offer the equipment before buying another one (quad motor and max pack, V2L, Driver+ that's at least as good as Ford BlueCruise) and as of right now, Rivian is not offering any of those, let alone all in an R1S.)

I assume there are people (like me) choosing to wait because, well, Rivian changes its tune every month and right now, I don't like the sound of the singer or the song …

Ironically, yesterday I ordered two RAM 1500 REVs (one to take asap, late '24, the other to "wait and see" if/when they offer the REX.) Meanwhile, I'm sure I'm like most people who want an EV pickup and I have an order for a CT (2) and an EVlanche (2) and a Lightning (2) … now the RAM and pretty soon the Sierra EV … how long before Ford/GM/RAM offer their SUVs in shared platform EVs from their pickup offerings; 2025?

Rivian better giddy up or that sweet pre-March pricing will not be enough of an incentive to choose the R1 instead of a competitor with a 180 or 200 kWh with onboard power, V2X, BlueCruise or SuperCruise or whatever RAM has for L2, and the impressive feature of actually being built and delivered to the customer … : )

TDWRT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A bunch of German cars
Occupation
Finance
Pretending Rvian isn't burning goodwill at serious clip among its early supporters is laughable. I was a huge early proponent of the company, but am no longer. I still hold RIVN shares in the 4 figure range but I will be looking to dump some of that shortly. They may be able to rehabilitate their failing image at some point, but I am not 100% sure. I will hang on to my reservation and figure out what to do when my delivery day actually occurs. Probably play with it for a day, see if I can flip in a couple days and if not, then return it under 7 days.

Sponsored

Rad_ry

First Name
Reece
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5
Occupation
Finance
Don’t think it’s fair for those with long waits not to disclose their order and situation. If someone is waiting on let’s say max, which has been specifically delayed, and the customer opts to wait, I don’t think it’s fair to say Rivian is focusing on post March 22 orders at the expense of pre March orders. Rivian is pumping out a lot of cars and to lots of pre March reservation holders.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Order date means little or nothing. It's mostly about proximity to a Service Center. I have a November 28, 2018 order date but live over 300 miles from the nearest Rivian Service Center. I can't even get a estimated delivery window, nor will they allow me access to the R1 Shop.

I have gotten pretty frustrated with them but plan to hang in until we get our R1T. We had planed to pull our Airstream with the Rivian. It is looking like we will be replacing our Chevrolet Duramax with a new one later this year.

Brian

Last edited:

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

You loaned them $1k and when you get it back you will also tell Rivian you want them to sell your truck to someone else for $10+k be more than you would have paid for a truck you admit you still actually want.
The only people you are stiffing is yourself and your family.
Is Rivian going through some brutal growing pains and maybe even losing some customers because of it? Sure but don't kid yourself that you are hurting anyone but yourself.
Hope you like whatever you end up with.

ED05

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
there's a lot of blame to go around but ultimately it falls on Rivian. who planned and built out the SC? who created the Rivian lottery? who added too many options like Explore, colors, interior, wheels and other options? who communicated their own self-imposed timelines? who over-promised and under-delivered (SC, RAN, Membership)?

sure, we can put the wrong or misguided expectations on them but ultimately they created most of it.

at the same time, we do need to cut them some slack. new company, new vehicles, new production, pandemic, supply chain, etc. their comms however, i cut them very little slack. they've had enough time to learn but still amateur hour.

for the OP though this push back to 2nd half 2024 makes no sense. most people who ordered in the 4th quarter of 2021 ive seen fall into the 2nd half 2023 delivery window.
I placed an order for an R1T Apr of 2021. Went from first half 22 to first half 23. The Oct update showed 2024 and the Jan update showed processing estimate. The last two updates were accompanied by emails stating proximity to a SC was the reason Living near Pensacola FL, the closest SC is Atlanta. No future plans for anything closer in the future. Point is, if that was going to be the case, I would have expected a bit more transparency from the company. I park next to a R1T at work. His son worked for Rivian. He order Nov 21. I feel it would be better for them to under promise rather than push my order back every update.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner

I got my R1S reservation in December '21, and was told then to expect a 2nd half - 23 delivery. Then the next iteration of delivery schedules come out in October (I believe), and it slips to first half of '24. Then, last months delivery schedule announcement pushes it out to 2nd half of 24, of which I now expect to be November- December of 24, at the earliest.
Sadly, I just canceled too (for the R1T Max Pack). I received my deposit of $1000 back this weekend. I placed a reservation in April 2019.

They could not give me any definite answer as to whether or not they would ever produce the 400 mile range version. It is "projected" to be mid-2024 now. I am a bit snake bitten and not sure it will happen by then.

I did put a reservation in for a Ford Lightning in May 2021. They sent me an email a few weeks ago and said I would have it by April 1st if I still wanted it.

Under promised, over delivered.

I am locked in now and will be getting a Lightning soon. I will wave to any Rivians I see on the road, and hope to stop and chat with them too.

Sponsored

TurboTwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra
I’m in the exact same boat as OP when I comes to reservation date and delivery windows but I live in CA Bay Area. Probably the most EV friendly place in the country with 2 service centers within 30-60 mins of me.
The delivery push out has nothing to do with location and 100% to do with profits. They want us to get frustrated and cancel our orders. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Like all other manufacturers, Rivian doesn’t care about customers, they care about profits and staying in business

e4gaa1104

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S Tesla Model 3 Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Clubs

I’m in the exact same boat as OP when I comes to reservation date and delivery windows but I live in CA Bay Area. Probably the most EV friendly place in the country with 2 service centers within 30-60 mins of me.
The delivery push out has nothing to do with location and 100% to do with profits. They want us to get frustrated and cancel our orders. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Like all other manufacturers, Rivian doesn’t care about customers, they care about profits and staying in business
I’m a May 21 reservation holder and have seen my estimate go from April/June 23 to Oct/Dec 23. I live 30 miles from the Brooklyn SC. I find this SC talk hard to understand when I live that close to one.

Coop

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Occupation
Surgeon

On top of my anticipated three year wait, I see that many new reservation holders have jumped the line, in Rivian's attempt to generate higher revenue per vehicle. I would love to have a Rivian, and I love the looks of them as I see them driving down the road. But, you know, life moves on, and I have found better things to do with my money, and I agreed with my wife that maybe we should forego the Rivian in favor of those things.

So I am not going to take the Rivian. I am really ticked off at Rivian because of this. IMO, these pushbacks have been Riv's way of saying to us pre-price increase orders "Yes, you can have your Rivian, but F-You, you'll get it when we want you to get it, and only after everyone else gets theirs." I feel part of their motivation is to push these out as long as possible to force us either to cancel, or ship only when it is convenient for them.

I hear you! The wait is painful. We ordered the R1S in February of 2021. We’ve been pushed out as well. The latest announcement from Rivian is that we will get delivery July-Sept of this year, 2023. I actually texted with Rivian and asked them about newer more expensive orders cutting the line. Rivian emphatically denied that this is happening and told me not to believe everything I read in the Rivian forums! Certainly, they could be lying to me, but I’d like to believe Rivian. Maybe I’m naive! Anyhow, sorry to hear about your delivery delay. Such a bummer.

DogTaxi

First Name
Michie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Retired
Yup - except my pre-order date was October 2019!!! I have been pushed back so many times it's not funny - now currently July-September 2023. The Guide is giving me company speak... that there is no priority given to the Amazon Van production nor to post-price increase orders. Also, the lack of acknowledgement of helping actual IPO investors like me get their vehicles is infuriating not to mention how the stock performance has totally sucked. I've since ordered a Telsa Y and put in a pre-order for a Fisker Ocean One - which I will probably get before I even get a hint of my R1S production date.

As such - I too will hold onto my R1S reservation until I have to pay more money to this money suck of a company.

[/QUOTE

rlawsoncrew

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Farmer

I get it more than most. I've been waiting since 2/3/19. Pretty done with them. Just bought a Cherokee. Good luck Rivian!
Sponsored