Sponsored

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
After many trials and tribulations we have finally taken possession of our R1T.

Today's delivery was even a mess, but it all worked out in the end.

Some really quick impressions (I'll have to do a more detailed review after I get more seat time)..

1. I really like the Forest Green, glad I went with it.
2. Black Mountain interior looks great, good fit and finish.
3. The truck is a little smaller than I was anticipating but not by much.
4. All body panels and gaps looked good, nothing scratched, no apparent paint defects, no defects noticed in the interior, so far.
5. Everything is opening and closing as it should.
6. Sixteen miles on OD when delivered.
7. Sound system is good, on par with our '22 Model 3P.
8. A little more wind noise than I was anticipating but not bad at all.
9. Smooth ride and steering feel is good.
10. Good acceleration, probably faster than my M3P, just doesn't feel like it is.
11. Good ride quality in AP mode with soft suspension. Every other setting felt too firm for my taste. Lowest was rough.
12. Interface is quick to respond. If you have a Model 3 or Model Y it will feel somewhat familiar. Tesla's UI maturity shows but I think Rivian will keep improving at a good clip and catch up.
13. As others have mentioned, the truck doesn't auto lower when you park. If you are in a higher suspension setting and then park, when you open the door to get out you may not realize the truck is higher than when you first drove off. I almost tumbled out of the truck because it was a few inches higher when I parked then when I first drove off. Not a huge deal but Rivian should consider an auto-lower on park, or something.
14. I think the tonneau cover is going to be an issue, not just mechanically but also the top looks like it will get scratches from opening and closing.
15. For my uses our Raptor is just more practical (bigger bed, more roomy interior, seems more prone to take incidental damage better). I was going to sell the Raptor but now will wait to trade it in on a F150 Lightning. Not a reflection on the R1T just our personal situation.
16. Initial vehicle impressions are good, the R1T appears to be a solid product from Rivian. My experience with the buying and receiving part however was really really rough and I hope for Rivian's sake was more an outlier than typical. Everyone I had dealings with were pleasant, but the whole process was dysfunctional to an unusual degree. Truly one of the worst purchasing experiences I have had. Maybe I just drew the short straw and happened to be the beneficiary of a lot of bad luck. That and/or they are just not prepared to the level they need to be and only time and experience will fix it.
17. I did not get the wrist band, they gave me paper saying they still owed it to me. I did get the spare tire.

Rivian R1T R1S It's finally here. First impressions IMG_2534.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S It's finally here. First impressions IMG_2528.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S It's finally here. First impressions IMG_2525.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S It's finally here. First impressions IMG_2521.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S It's finally here. First impressions IMG_2526.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S It's finally here. First impressions IMG_2531.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S It's finally here. First impressions IMG_2523.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S It's finally here. First impressions IMG_2535.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts after you have a little more time with it, especially as it compares to your model 3.

I will say, it looks beautiful.

Reactions: hed

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Some really quick impressions (I'll have to do a more detailed review after I get more seat time)..

4. All body panels and gaps looked good, nothing scratched, no apparent paint defects, no defects noticed in the interior, so far.
10. Good acceleration, probably faster than my M3P, just doesn't feel like it is.
11. Good ride quality in AP mode with soft suspension. Every other setting felt too firm for my taste. Lowest was rough.
12. Interface is quick to respond. If you have a Model 3 or Model Y it will feel somewhat familiar. Tesla's UI maturity shows but I think Rivian will keep improving at a good clip and catch up.
13. As others have mentioned, the truck doesn't auto lower when you park. If you are in a higher suspension setting and then park, when you open the door to get out you may not realize the truck is higher than when you first drove off. I almost tumbled out of the truck because it was a few inches higher when I parked then when I first drove off. Not a huge deal but Rivian should consider an auto-lower on park, or something.
14. I think the tonneau cover is going to be an issue, not just mechanically but also the top looks like it will get scratches from opening and closing.
15. For my uses our Raptor is just more practical (bigger bed, more roomy interior, seems more prone to take incidental damage better). I was going to sell the Raptor but now will wait to trade it in on a F150 Lightning. Not a reflection on the R1T just our personal situation.
16. Initial vehicle impressions are good, the R1T appears to be a solid product from Rivian. My experience with the buying and receiving part however was really really rough and I hope for Rivian's sake was more an outlier than typical. Everyone I had dealings with were pleasant, but the whole process was dysfunctional to an unusual degree. Truly one of the worst purchasing experiences I have had. Maybe I just drew the short straw and happen to be the beneficiary of a lot of bad luck. That and/or they are just not prepared to the level they need to be and only time and experience will fix it.
17. I did not get the wrist band, they gave me paper saying they still owed it to me. I did get the spare tire.

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG
Congrats on finally getting the truck. I have to sat, knowing you back story and built up frustration with the whole process that initial review was really good. Not sure my first impressions would not be more tainted based on your delivery experience.

Hope moving forward things are way better for you!!

OP
OP
hed

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Congrats on finally getting the truck. I have to sat, knowing you back story and built up frustration with the whole process that initial review was really good. Not sure my first impressions would not be more tainted based on your delivery experience.

Hope moving forward things are way better for you!!
Thanks Sanz. It has been a wild ride. I appreciate the thoughts.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

What were the delivery problems?

OP
OP
hed

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What were the delivery problems?
Without boring everyone with the entire back story.....

Guide texted around 10am to let me know delivery would be delayed by a little bit (scheduled for 2pm), I texted back and mentioned I had a meeting scheduled (3:30) about an hour and half after scheduled delivery time and I had to go to it.

Did not get a response for hours. Called service number, they said they would look into it, this was about 25 minutes before I had to leave my house. No responses so I left for my meeting.

I am literally pulling up to my meeting which is half way across town and I get a automated text saying my vehicle was at my house.....:/ (3:25pm)

There's a lot of little details in the story but that's the gist of it. I do have to say in all fairness the driver did try calling twice over a couple of hours, but my phone silenced his call and sent it straight to voicemail. Why he didn't leave a voicemail or text me I can't say.

In the end it worked out, the driver was a good guy and now that part of my story is over with.

However...I found my first issue

Rivian R1T R1S It's finally here. First impressions IMG_2543.JPG

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed

16. Initial vehicle impressions are good, the R1T appears to be a solid product from Rivian. My experience with the buying and receiving part however was really really rough and I hope for Rivian's sake was more an outlier than typical. Everyone I had dealings with were pleasant, but the whole process was dysfunctional to an unusual degree. Truly one of the worst purchasing experiences I have had. Maybe I just drew the short straw and happened to be the beneficiary of a lot of bad luck. That and/or they are just not prepared to the level they need to be and only time and experience will fix it.

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG
Your R1T is sick!! My R1T is coming in a few weeks. I also have a Tesla M3. Question about your wind noise comment: Would you say it's on par with the M3? Quieter or noisier? Thanks. Enjoy your new ride : )

Reactions: hed

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Guide texted around 10am to let me know delivery would be delayed by a little bit (scheduled for 2pm), I texted back and mentioned I had a meeting scheduled (3:30) about an hour and half after scheduled delivery time and I had to go to it.

Did not get a response for hours. Called service number, they said they would look into it, this was about 25 minutes before I had to leave my house. No responses so I left for my meeting.

I am literally pulling up to my meeting which is half way across town and I get a automated text saying my vehicle was at my house.....:/ (3:25pm)

There's a lot of little details in the story but that's the gist of it. I do have to say in all fairness the driver did try calling twice over a couple of hours, but my phone silenced his call and sent it straight to voicemail. Why he didn't leave a voicemail or text me I can't say.

In the end it worked out, the driver was a good guy and now that part of my story is over with.

If that was the biggest issue, then it really wasn't that bad. Sure, we all value our time. I schedule my days down to the last minute, utilizing every second of the day I can get. BUT, have learned from experience with any type of at home delivery or service, to never, ever, ever, EVER plan on that going perfectly down to the last minute, 15 minutes or even hour. Somehow, some way, almost always, there seems to be a delay. Especially if you're an afternoon or early evening appointment, have to expect delays. One delay results in a chain reaction. Rivian (any company doing home delivery or service calls) would probably be better served to give a time window rather than a specific delivery time. They schedule as much as they can in a day, but of course, not everything goes exactly as planned down to the minute. This isn't just Rivian. This happens with most companies that send drivers or techs out on full day's worth of work every morning. Does the mailman show up your mailbox at the exact same time each day?

If that was the primary gripe of why it was the worst experience ever for you? I'm guessing you haven't had many vehicle or big items delivered at home? Or, as most companies do, they gave you a time window rather than a specific time. Phone company, cable company, most other service calls, etc. I'm a very punctual person myself and utilize every second of my day. But have learned, many things that they're coming to me for, such as this, have to block out plenty of time to account for the likely delays the driver or technician will experience each day.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

IMG_2543.JPG
oh man…can I have your one issue? Please? 😂. Congrats on your delivery though!

OP
OP
hed

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Your R1T is sick!! My R1T is coming in a few weeks. I also have a Tesla M3. Question about your wind noise comment: Would you say it's on par with the M3? Quieter or noisier? Thanks. Enjoy your new ride : )
Thanks!

The Rivian seems slightly more quiet in certain aspects (more padded, less interior intrusion from the outside world) but I can hear distinct wind noise near both side view mirrors. Not terrible but not as buttoned up as I assumed it would be.

Our M3P is fairly new (2022) and has more noise suppression (glass, tires, etc.) than earlier models so that's what I am comparing the R1T with. I think if you jumped into either vehicle you wouldn't think either was loud. In the Rivian you'd probably think the motor noises are cool and that overall it's a fairly quiet cabin, even at highway speeds. The Tesla would sound less "EV mechanical" and be quiet as well. The R1T is more mechanical sounding in its operation and it is cool and fits, but it is there most of the time.

To summarize: close to par... haha

OP
OP
hed

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If that was the biggest issue, then it really wasn't that bad. Sure, we all value our time. I schedule my days down to the last minute, utilizing every second of the day I can get. BUT, have learned from experience with any type of at home delivery or service, to never, ever, ever, EVER plan on that going perfectly down to the last minute, 15 minutes or even hour. Somehow, some way, almost always, there seems to be a delay. Especially if you're an afternoon or early evening appointment, have to expect delays. One delay results in a chain reaction. Rivian (any company doing home delivery or service calls) would probably be better served to give a time window rather than a specific delivery time. They schedule as much as they can in a day, but of course, not everything goes exactly as planned down to the minute. This isn't just Rivian. This happens with most companies that send drivers or techs out on full day's worth of work every morning. Does the mailman show up your mailbox at the exact same time each day?

If that was the primary gripe of why it was the worst experience ever for you? I'm guessing you haven't had many vehicle or big items delivered at home? Or, as most companies do, they gave you a time window rather than a specific time. Phone company, cable company, most other service calls, etc. I'm a very punctual person myself and utilize every second of my day. But have learned, many things that they're coming to me for, such as this, have to block out plenty of time to account for the likely delays the driver or technician will experience each day.
No sir, the delivery experience was probably the smoothest part of my journey. You can look up my post(s) detailing the several issues I have had with this purchase.

-or-

Without going over the whole thing in detail Ill give a quick recap....

A) Truck ordered, truck damaged on delivery day, told delivery day morning (March 25th)
B) Could not get clarity on what exactly was damaged and to what extent (at that point I technically owned the truck that was damaged and still could not get an answer on damage).
C) 3 weeks go by, repair replacement part damaged in shipment, I had to keep contacting guide to be given any info, none of it was proactive
D) Current vehicle did not have everything the first truck did but was not told until two days before scheduled delivery.

There is a lot of nuisance in this story that I am not including here.

While the delivery part of the story was inconvenient it is not what made this the worst purchasing experience I've had.

I am very familiar with at home delivery. I had one of the first Teslas in my home state (2013), delivered to me with no issues. I have purchased many vehicles over the years and had them shipped to me. While I appreciate your perspective, this delivery was bumpy, could have been handled better and was, as compared to my own personal experiences, rougher than most.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Glad to see you got it. Know it was a lot of twists and turns. Hope you enjoy it. Looks great in the pictures.
Sponsored