Sponsored

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
In Fairbanks, AK we stay below freezing from late October until mid-late March.
That's a no from me, dog.

Colorado already gets WAAAAY too cold for me. Everyone knows anything under 70 is complete BS.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mattgray600

mattgray600

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LE R1T, 2023 BMW X3
Occupation
IT Director
Come on now.... ICE vehicles make waste heat like crazy. Last winter I drove for weeks in below zero ambient temps and couldn't ever run full heat. Even driving in a t-shirt, I'd be a sweaty mess driving with the heat on max. That's what makes ICE so inefficient....so much of the energy is wasted in heat. There's simply no shortage of it in an ICE vehicle.

Unless you're specifically talking about the first few minutes of driving before you get full heat.
I was specifically talking that an ICE at -30 takes a long time to reach operating temperature via auto-start.

Yes, it does get warm, and when driving I can take coat/gloves off. Just not usually on my 10 minute drive home at -30+.

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
Ya, the slow-to-warm ICE heaters just seem archaic now when I use one sparingly. EV ads should be showing off that feature in cold climates during the winter.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Ya, the slow-to-warm ICE heaters just seem archaic now when I use one sparingly. EV ads should be showing off that feature in cold climates during the winter.
I agree....fast heat alone is enough for me to go BEV....

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I was specifically talking that an ICE at -30 takes a long time to reach operating temperature via auto-start.

Yes, it does get warm, and when driving I can take coat/gloves off. Just not usually on my 10 minute drive home at -30+.
My Jeep is a blast furnace 5 minutes after auto-start at pretty much any outside temperature. New vehicles heat up quickly. It's nice getting into a vehicle that's already heated up inside, especially when the heated seats and steering wheel turn on automatically when it's cold outside.

Remote start via keyfob or cell phone is the best feature ever for winter driving. I literally never get into a cold vehicle in the winter. My garage is heated, so I don't need to warm up the vehicle when leaving home, but I use remote start the rest of the time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mattgray600

mattgray600

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LE R1T, 2023 BMW X3
Occupation
IT Director
My Jeep is a blast furnace 5 minutes after auto-start at pretty much any outside temperature. New vehicles heat up quickly. It's nice getting into a vehicle that's already heated up inside, especially when the heated seats and steering wheel turn on automatically when it's cold outside.

Remote start via keyfob or cell phone is the best feature ever for winter driving. I literally never get into a cold vehicle in the winter. My garage is heated, so I don't need to warm up the vehicle when leaving home, but I use remote start the rest of the time.
Normally that is the case. -30+F is a different entity. If auto-start used, warms fast on newer cars. Just not usually static at those temps to the level I saw with the Rivian.

Personal observation. My ICE gets up to operating temp, and cabin does warm up. I usually auto-start 10 minutes prior to departure. At that I usually have to wear jacket and gloves for ride home if it has been sitting all day at those temps.

All I was saying is I was surprised the Rivian could elevate temps that dramatically in those temps. Was not expecting it.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Not all ICE vehicles. My Lotus Elise is so well cooled that when driving on the freeway in the winter the coolant barely gets to operating temperature.
Also, I think the point is that when the vehicle sits idle it doesn't generate a lot of heat either (compared to when it's under load). I've had another vehicle with a more insulated V8 that would overheat much more quickly and burn gas when idling.
Something might be wrong with your Lotus. ICE vehicles need to be at full temp quickly for emissions reasons. So if yours isn't getting there quickly, I'd get it checked out. I've never owned any vehicle that didn't heat up very quickly. I have noticed that smaller engines usually seem to heat up faster than larger displacement engines as a general rule.

minneR1Tonka

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T QM Large Adventure; 2018 XC90 Inscription
Clubs

What temperature is your battery after sitting outside in those temps all day, and what does it warm up to on your drive home?

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Something might be wrong with your Lotus. ICE vehicles need to be at full temp quickly for emissions reasons. So if yours isn't getting there quickly, I'd get it checked out. I've never owned any vehicle that didn't heat up very quickly. I have noticed that smaller engines usually seem to heat up faster than larger displacement engines as a general rule.
Thanks for the concern, but the Lotus is just over cooled with a large amount of open space around the engine with two front oil coolers, two side air vents, a lid vent and I removed the panel behind the exhaust. Some people that race their car actually remove the front oil coolers and put just one in the back because it over cools the oil, which is bad for the high cams. It even cools off to near ambient temps within like 15-30 minutes of parking outside.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Thanks for the concern, but the Lotus is just over cooled with a large amount of open space around the engine with two front oil coolers, two side air vents, a lid vent and I removed the panel behind the exhaust. Some people that race their car actually remove the front oil coolers and put just one in the back because it over cools the oil, which is bad for the high cams. It even cools off to near ambient temps within like 15-30 minutes of parking outside.
Wow, that's crazy. Is it the Lotus with the Toyota Camry engine?

Sponsored

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Wow, that's crazy. Is it the Lotus with the Toyota Camry engine?
Mine is a 2005, which was the Toyota 2ZZ used in many of the "performance" little cars from Toyota, like the Celica GTS. The newer Lotii use a Toyota V6 more commonly from the Camry.

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, XC90 R-Design, XC90 T8, R1T Adventure
DM or QM? What motor temps are you seeing to help warm the battery? What is the battery temp floor you are seeing?
When the battery is below 50 I’ve seen motors warm up to as high as 220. Not quite as warm as when surging to get ready for DCFC (if the battery is below optimal charging temp).
Rivian R1T R1S It did alright at -31F! E02%21112660&authkey=%21ALG8uvdWIiiP_FM&height=660

With the new drive mode display the first time heading towards a DCFC the sudden motor temp spike and orange indicators on the motor icons freaked me out. I didn’t see any error messages and it wasn’t until I switched back to the Nav app that I realized that it was most likely the pre-conditioning function. It would have been helpful if in the drivetrain/Drive Mode app Rivian indicated in the battery widget or on the center vehicle graphic that it was preparing the battery for fast charging.
Rivian R1T R1S It did alright at -31F! 3E02%21112659&authkey=%21APnWFGTkjpnql18&width=660
Sponsored