First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LE R1T, 2023 BMW X3
Occupation
IT Director
It was the coldest day yet for our Rivian in Fairbanks, AK!

Truck spent 12+ hours outside sitting yesterday (and did not get above -20!). Only drove two short distances after sitting for several hours. First was to go home and eat some dinner before a Christmas concert at the school, so the truck only got 1 hour in a 55 degree garage as a respite!

Had no problem warming up the cabin (and did it pretty quick too) for that drive home.

Now, efficiency? Not so great, but nothing does great at these temps! For the final drive home (less than 10 miles) I saw under 1 (.08 miles per KWH!).

I was actually pretty happy with the way it performed.

Got home, and tucked it in the garage and set charger to not kick in until midnight to give vehicle time to thaw!

Rivian R1T R1S It did alright at -31F! Rivian-31F
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
DM or QM? What motor temps are you seeing to help warm the battery? What is the battery temp floor you are seeing?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Now, efficiency? Not so great, but nothing does great at these temps! For the final drive home (less than 10 miles) I saw under 1 (.08 miles per KWH!).
Is that efficiency 0.08 or 0.8? Luckily I don't (or hope) I'll never need to worry about temps that low.

OP
OP
mattgray600

mattgray600

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LE R1T, 2023 BMW X3
Occupation
IT Director
QM. It was a little late, so did not pay as much attention at motor temps. On some colder days (not as cold as last night) where I drove further you could easily see hitting 200 to dump heat into batteries.

Pretty amazing how it does that. Leaving garage for daily commute it seems totally happy with a 50 degree battery pack!

Thank also for correction. It was .8 not .08! I definitely think it would have improved the more I drove/warmed it up, but was just headed home.

Once we get to -30, we prefer shorter drives because the fun value decreases immensely!

I'm just pretty impressed with how it handled it after a long day sitting. ICE vehicles plug in so they start, and I did not have to. Even joked with co-workers how the EV was the only vehicle not plugged in!

Only had a short alarm for sensors when starting back home (frost on them). Went away before I left work parking lot.

It seemed way more comfortable than our ICE regarding ride and door stiffness at same temps.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Seeing those temps brought back not the fondest of memories. I am so glad that where I live it doesn't get that cold anymore. Happy to hear your Rivian survived and worked well though.

edman007

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CY R1S
What was your efficency? 0.8 or 0.08?

I just picked up my R1S at the SC at rush hour, I got 0.67mi/kWh, and it was only 45 degrees, but brooklyn at rush hour, I think I did 2 miles with the battery heater and HVAC running for the first 15 minutes.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Might as well plug in like the ICE vehicles. My experience is only down to -20F but having the battery essentially trickle charge and stay a bit warmer helped with efficiency and prevented the limited power available due to cold battery temps.

Did you ship the truck up or make the long slow drive?

OP
OP
mattgray600

mattgray600

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LE R1T, 2023 BMW X3
Occupation
IT Director
It was actually .83 at the lowest for the 10 mile duration. Might have went lower as it was continuing to warm up battery (I think I got home with pack at 32 degrees, but dont quote me).

I KNOW there is going to be NOTHING efficient at those temps! Daily commute leaving a 50 degree garage, I stay in the 1.5'ish range.

In Fairbanks, AK we stay below freezing from late October until mid-late March. As a humorous add, we are one of the few places where school gets cancelled if it gets above freezing during those times because any melt turns everything into a giant ice rink.

I would say (not scientifically, but by observation) that efficiency is close to my ICE at thees temps. We use an auto-start on that vehicle to warm when outside, and lose MPGs when colder too!

Sponsored

OP
OP
mattgray600

mattgray600

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LE R1T, 2023 BMW X3
Occupation
IT Director
Might as well plug in like the ICE vehicles. My experience is only down to -20F but having the battery essentially trickle charge and stay a bit warmer helped with efficiency and prevented the limited power available due to cold battery temps.

Did you ship the truck up or make the long slow drive?
I would agree, but school not in the best area of town, and a pretty expensive portable charger might be too tempting for some.

We did the nice drive from Colorado Springs, and ferried it in the summer! Was a great trip! Only keeping it in Alaska for 2 years before we head out for good. I thought it would be a great test of its fortitude. It has impressed me immensely.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I wouldn't be worried about my vehicle working at -31F.. I'd be more concerned with me not working at -31F o_O

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That’s too f*cking cold!