Sponsored

Is your R1T your first EV and/or first truck?

If you own a Rivian is it your first EV and/or truck?

• Total voters

sfvR1S

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad Adventure 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Occupation
CRE
Clubs

5th EV and 2nd truck/SUV
Sponsored

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
First EV was a Nissan Leaf 10 years ago as my commuter. It was joined by a Tesla Model 3 in 2018 (displacing a Subaru Forester, sort of), and we were all electric for 4 years.

We pre-ordered a Rivian R1T as our first-ever truck in 2021 (after years of begging lol), then found a travel trailer before the truck arrived, so we bought a Ridgeline temporarily (which I didn't count in the poll). As others have said, we had not previously considered a truck due to lack of every-day storage; the R1T solves that issue and we use the frunk/gear tunnel pretty much daily!

For more reading and lots of photos, check out my two blog posts on why an EV truck and why the R1T:

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

Second EV (Tesla Model 3), first truck. I love the truck. It's great for camping, skiing, beach, and convenience with home stuff. I expected it to be more difficult to get used to driving a truck but the T has been a breeze. I might not think so if I still lived in NYC, but it is perfect in the burbs of Boston.
Rode in a model 3 this past weekend and do miss it. It was/is a great car and charging network. Interested to see the 2024 refresh and hope to have one in the family again.
Installed a sig solar system (12.95) and it struggles to charge such a large battery, but still playing with different approaches and it should be better in spring and summer. Also looking forward to improved charging network (especially in northern new england).

Sponsored

kcwenner

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
farmer
Have owned many trucks and several EVs.

R1T has been the best of either.
Ditto for me. Lots of work truc
RJ has mentioned before in interviews that Rivian's goal is to not necessarily to convert existing EV owners, but rather ICE truck owners to get their first EV. I know they have their own internal data on what people are migrating from, but I'd love to know the breakdown of the RivianForums users.

For me it's my first EV and first truck. We had been talking about getting an EV for a while, but R1T came into the equation when their one day factory sale happened last year and we realized how nice it would be for yardwork/hauling the bikes/future plans around roof top tent camping.
I have had multiple pickups and have used them quite hard. Have had a Model S for 6 years.
My RiT is the best truck, best EV, and best vehicle of any kind that I have ever owned. I use it as work vehicle on our farm and love how it drives around town. I have used it to pull my Toyota Tundra out of a deep farm ditch that looked like it was going to take an excavator to extract. Great work vehicle.

Swezey

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM LBP 21" Rivian Blue
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

First EV. 3rd Truck

2011 RAM 1500 HEMI CC Sport 2x4
2017 RAM 1500 HEMI CC Night Edition 4x4
2023 R1T QM LB

FlightDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

First EV, 3rd working truck
2016 Ram 1500 (gave to my kid so)
2019 Ram 1500
2023 R1T
2025 Ram Rev??

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
First ever EV, 8th truck. I couldn't help but wait nearly three years for my version of America's first made Ev Truck. And I'm glad I did. My R1T is more energy efficient, quicker and more maneuverable than ICE, and tuned in for insanity...or just some good clean fun on the road!

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

First truck, and honestly it’s a better first truck that’s an EV than most cars, trucks or SUVs. Out there.

Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Voted first for both since it's a first purchase of those for me. I inherited 10 months of a Model S lease which is technically first EV I guess.

Gear tunnel and hood storage made the truck practical enough for my uses, replacing an SUV.

(Unrelated, can't wait for this poll to be First EV/ First Minivan)

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

First EV, first truck, only EV I have driven. Although I have to admit, I probably would've gone R1S over the R1T if they were both available for delivery at the same time. I also admit I don't really need a truck, or a 7 passenger SUV. Maybe the R2 will be more size appropriate for me. My 2 door Wrangler generally has more than enough room for me, and is far easier to park/maneuver. But as someone who has worked in the electric utility industry for over 20 years, I wanted to try something electric, and Rivian had the biggest appeal to me, especially with the initial price (not sure I would spend current R1 money on my daily commuter vehicle). I also realize after owning the R1T for a little over a year, and 15k miles, I don't want anything physically bigger than it.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Third EV
My first vehicle that tocks
First Ridgeline like pretend truck. :p

Edit: I forgot that my state has an RTA exemption for heavy trucks. So yeah its my first REAL truck. :)

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
My R1T is my 5th pickup truck. I never drove an EV before I got it, so I'm the target ICE convert that RJ was looking for. All my previous pickups (except for the '04 Tacoma) were bigger than the R1T, so it feels just right sized to me.
Sponsored